Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
children, education, kids, parents, school

Old 10-03-2018, 12:54 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Re: Public school and the Christian parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Carpentry, equipment operator, boilermaker, and pipe layer. Got an issue with that, office boy?
Awesome! Big money right now in Houston area. More if you take a job out of state.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Carpentry, equipment operator, boilermaker, and pipe layer. Got an issue with that, office boy?
You know, just last week I was talking to my son about possibilities regarding careers. I don't think everyone is cut out for college. I wasn't. And unless one goes to college for something in engineering, healthcare, or some highly technical and specialized field, it isn't worth the debt and the market is typically flooded.

I encouraged him to look into the trades. They are desperately needed and if you're skilled in the right trade, you'll always find work. And... you can conceivably go into business for yourself. He didn't seem so enthusiastic, he's thinking about robotic engineering. All joking aside, I think the trades is where it is at in our country and perhaps at least the next generation.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Mission
The mission of College of the Ozarks is to provide the advantages of a Christian education for youth of both sexes, especially those found worthy, but who are without sufficient means to procure such training.

Vision and Goals
The vision of College of the Ozarks is to develop citizens of Christ-like character who are well-educated, hard-working, and patriotic.

To achieve this vision, the College has Academic, Vocational, Christian, Patriotic and Cultural goals. Even as College of the Ozarks has evolved through secondary and junior college stages to the present four-year liberal arts institution, the fundamental goals of our no-tuition college have remained the same.

Academic Goal
To provide a sound education, based in the liberal arts.

Vocational Goal
To promote a strong work ethic, encouraging the development of good character and values.

Christian Goal
To foster the Christian faith through the integration of faith with learning, living, and service.

Patriotic Goal
To encourage an understanding of American heritage, civic responsibilities, love of country, and willingness to defend it.

Cultural Goal
To cultivate an appreciation of the fine arts, an understanding of the world, and adherence to high personal standards.

http://www.cofo.edu/Page/About-C-of-O.14.html
Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledOut238 View Post

Exhibit A. Poor as in lack of resources financially. Uneducated in not knowing where resources are available or could teach their children themselves. Sorry, you cannot frame a personal viewpoint from your interpretation of scriptures and deem it sin. When I do something wrong the Holy ghost checks me with his word and Spirit. I believe he deals with everyone of His children in the same way.

CO - I would also say that God uses others to deal with things that we are doing wrong. Otherwise, there would have been no need for Paul's writings.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
You know, just last week I was talking to my son about possibilities regarding careers. I don't think everyone is cut out for college. I wasn't. And unless one goes to college for something in engineering, healthcare, or some highly technical and specialized field, it isn't worth the debt and the market is typically flooded.

I encouraged him to look into the trades. They are desperately needed and if you're skilled in the right trade, you'll always find work. And... you can conceivably go into business for yourself. He didn't seem so enthusiastic, he's thinking about robotic engineering. All joking aside, I think the trades is where it is at in our country and perhaps at least the next generation.
Every guy should learn a trade, even if that's not what they plan on doing. Something to fall back on if needed.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Banned

Thumbs down Re: Public school and the Christian parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Mission
The mission of College of the Ozarks is to provide the advantages of a Christian education for youth of both sexes, especially those found worthy, but who are without sufficient means to procure such training.

Vision and Goals
The vision of College of the Ozarks is to develop citizens of Christ-like character who are well-educated, hard-working, and patriotic.

To achieve this vision, the College has Academic, Vocational, Christian, Patriotic and Cultural goals. Even as College of the Ozarks has evolved through secondary and junior college stages to the present four-year liberal arts institution, the fundamental goals of our no-tuition college have remained the same.

Academic Goal
To provide a sound education, based in the liberal arts.

Vocational Goal
To promote a strong work ethic, encouraging the development of good character and values.

Christian Goal
To foster the Christian faith through the integration of faith with learning, living, and service.

Patriotic Goal
To encourage an understanding of American heritage, civic responsibilities, love of country, and willingness to defend it.

Cultural Goal
To cultivate an appreciation of the fine arts, an understanding of the world, and adherence to high personal standards.

http://www.cofo.edu/Page/About-C-of-O.14.html
Now that you have mentioned Christian Colleges. Has the UPC worked with varying states to set up Christian K1-K12 schools? The majority of what we see in Virginia are Catholic, Presbyterian, Baptist or Methodist. I am sure my wife would be interested in helping with the requirements required in our state for target cities in Virginia. My children have graduated and I cannot turn back time for them, but we can contribute with her knowledge and financially.

If Apostolic schools provided outstanding curriculum; preparing students for colleges and trades, that could be a great tool for growth in our fellowships.

James 2:26 (KJV) For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Selah
Old 10-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalledOut238 View Post
Now that you have mentioned Christian Colleges. Has the UPC worked with varying states to set up Christian K1-K12 schools? The majority of what we see in Virginia are Catholic, Presbyterian, Baptist or Methodist. I am sure my wife would be interested in helping with the requirements required in our state for target cities in Virginia. My children have graduated and I cannot turn back time for them, but we can contribute with her knowledge and financially.

If Apostolic schools provided outstanding curriculum; preparing students for colleges and trades, that could be a great tool for growth in our fellowships.

James 2:26 (KJV) For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Selah
I don't believe the UPC HQ has developed anything nationally. While growing up, I knew of several churches who had their own church school, either ACE or Abeka. The church my parents pastored has its own private ACE school.

Not a bad idea, but likely too costly.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I don't believe the UPC HQ has developed anything nationally. While growing up, I knew of several churches who had their own church school, either ACE or Abeka. The church my parents pastored has its own private ACE school.

Not a bad idea, but likely too costly.
I watched the ACE video; bookmarking the site, and will discuss with my wife. She still has year and half to finish her doctorate in education at VT. She would know more about the obstacles of private or charter schools in Virginia. We have had several of young people attend Indiana Bible College and their parents have been very pleased. It seemed to me if UPCI could be successful on that level they should be able to emulate that at the K1-K12 level.

Proverbs 4:7 (KJV) Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Selah
Old 10-03-2018, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Here's a wondrous idea:

Instead of engaging Esaias with mere disagreement, emotional kneejerks, or unqualified assertions, attempt to take all that he has posted from the Holy Scriptures and show him, from those very passages, how and why his understanding is wrong.

Imagine if you reasoned with him on that level (since that is the level with which he generated this thread) it might actually get somewhere edifying.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 10-04-2018, 02:38 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Here's a wondrous idea:

Instead of engaging Esaias with mere disagreement, emotional kneejerks, or unqualified assertions, attempt to take all that he has posted from the Holy Scriptures and show him, from those very passages, how and why his understanding is wrong.

Imagine if you reasoned with him on that level (since that is the level with which he generated this thread) it might actually get somewhere edifying.
If someone would like to demonstrate from the Scriptures that Christians are NOT required to ensure their children receive a Christian Bible-based education, I'd be thrilled to discuss it.

If someone would like to demonstrate from the Scriptures that Christians are not guilty of sin by willfully turning their children over to a godless antichristian indoctrinating institution, I'd love to discuss that as well.

If someone would like to demonstrate from the Scriptures that unrepented sin doesn't lead to the lake of fire, I'd like to see that, too.

But so far, the objectors have simply expressed their personal opinions with no Scriptural backing whatsoever. Which is to be expected from unbelievers and atheists, but Christians? I thought Christians were supposed to be "people of the Book"?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf