Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-16-2011, 10:17 PM
curious observer

Apology

When someone has a great exceptional Apostolic Ministry and then they leave the truth as they proclaimed and loved it, it is with sadness that we, who listened and followed their ministry, watch them go a different path. A better path? No, there is more to holiness than dress it is a spirit. But to be delivered and then embrace or lead others down a backward path brings sadness to the hearts of saints and ministry.

So even though many may think someone is being judgmental, it is with a broken heart to watch those walk away. I apologize if I offended you.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Christmas 2009

Re: Apology

You know what? I'm sure you meant well - I used to feel just like you. But it just gets old that when you leave UPC because you feel like God is leading you somewhere else, you suddenly become an evil backslider. We left 20 years ago and we still baptize in Jesus' name and see hundreds filled with the Holy Ghost. We love God and are in the center of His will. We are not crazy, easy-greasy grace people. We are conservative, holiness believing Holy Ghost filled Christians. Just because our idea of holiness isn't exactly like yours doesn't mean it's not of God.

I hope that doesn't sound mean - I didn't intend for it to.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

Amen! We are called to agree on the One thing, and embrace the differences of other believers as Anointed; some to preach, some to speaking in tongues, some to interpret...we are not designed for, and the Bible doesn't advocate, similarity of parts, but of vision.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Exactly, Sherri. Very well said.

Melody, in your opinion it is a backward path. That doesn't mean it is.

I followed what you call the backward path, and I've never been closer to God in my entire life. I'm not deceived, I'm not following a false way. I spent years and years in agonized prayer and study before I made the move.

I used to be in your position, I know exactly how it feels. It does hurt a great deal when someone leaves what we believe to be the truth. But I've since learned that I don't know everything there is to know, and I now have a much larger dose of humility to package along with my beliefs.

Yes, it's hurtful to you to see them leave. But don't forget that it's just as hurtful to the person leaving to have their heart and motives judged. Most of you have no idea how very, very hard it is to leave. It can rip your heart out. But, believe it or not, most do it because they are doing their best to sincerely follow God.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
When someone has a great exceptional Apostolic Ministry and then they leave the truth as they proclaimed and loved it, it is with sadness that we, who listened and followed their ministry, watch them go a different path. A better path? No, there is more to holiness than dress it is a spirit. But to be delivered and then embrace or lead others down a backward path brings sadness to the hearts of saints and ministry.

So even though many may think someone is being judgmental, it is with a broken heart to watch those walk away. I apologize if I offended you.
Being sad and hurt by a person leaving may explain your actions toward them but it does not validate them.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
You know what? I'm sure you meant well - I used to feel just like you. But it just gets old that when you leave UPC because you feel like God is leading you somewhere else, you suddenly become an evil backslider. We left 20 years ago and we still baptize in Jesus' name and see hundreds filled with the Holy Ghost. We love God and are in the center of His will. We are not crazy, easy-greasy grace people. We are conservative, holiness believing Holy Ghost filled Christians. Just because our idea of holiness isn't exactly like yours doesn't mean it's not of God.

I hope that doesn't sound mean - I didn't intend for it to.
I like this post and I have the same testimony in a way,just because I do not describe Jesus like most do here does not mean I am a evil crazy person either.I embraced the oneness understanding for a very long time.I believe I simply came into a more clear understanding of God and His human Messiah Jesus Christ.I believe in holiness principles,baptism in Jesus name and the infilling of the Holy Ghost.I love God and I have discovered I am not on a island to myself.I am not here to convert anyone but to discuss and share with people who may have a open mind.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

Amen to all that--trust that in "stepping out," the stepper has prolly had some sleepless nights, and does not leave what is perceived as the fold without a powerful motivation. Trust that if you remain open hearted with this person, if not open minded to their views, a new reality will usually emerge in which you may again meet where you agree; where God is.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

Yup. it's easy to consider a situation like this as somehow detracting from your faith, or condemning it as somehow inadequate; making it about you--this is human nature. See that this was a personal decision that, if supported by you, even while not understanding it (which isn't required, and prolly not even desired), that a fuller understanding of God may result for you, also.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post

People leave "canned" organizations for many reasons. I call them "canned" because formalities of ministry are sealed up inside and a label is put outside the can to allow the consumer to peruse which can they want to buy into. The ministers must abide by the canned articles of faith of any particular faith and they don't dare deviate from those articles while they are ministers of the organization. Oftentimes, their articles of faith outweigh what the Bible has to say.

Melody, it is often that we are disappointed in the ministry because we "followed" the ministry instead of following Christ. Christ said that His yolk is easy and His burden light. But so often our churches lay heavy burdens upon us. In some cases, the ministry or the congregation can never do enough.

I've found that in many churches, people have to lie to leave that particular church in peace. If one tells the truth of dissatisfaction of any particular reason, they pretty much get kicked out before they can leave and get blackballed from going to other churches.

I cannot tell you the countless people who gave half-truth excuses as to why they leave one church to get away from them and go to another.

The one thing the follower of Christ must always do ...is to follow Christ only. Study the Word for yourself. We don't live in times where most people cannot read anymore and must rely on a preacher. We can read and pray for ourselves the Word of God and rely on the Holy Ghost to teach, lead us and guide us through this life.

But for those who need structure and fellowship, there are churches out there who love God and teach His Word in Biblical context and not to the letter of "their law".

Not everybody who leaves is backslid like some organizations will declare.

Peace to you.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

Amen.