Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Playground > Sports Arena
Facebook

Notices

Sports Arena For all those who want to talk sports...

Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

NBA Owner Sterling

First, what the man said was wrong. I do not approve or agree with what he said. It was racism, plain and simple.

That said, is the lifetime ban from everything and the $2.5 million fine, along with the strong encouragement that the rest of the owners vote to take his ownership away appropriate or heavy handed?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

Re: NBA Owner Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
First, what the man said was wrong. I do not approve or agree with what he said. It was racism, plain and simple.

That said, is the lifetime ban from everything and the $2.5 million fine, along with the strong encouragement that the rest of the owners vote to take his ownership away appropriate or heavy handed?
Dude has a blatant history of racism. Thats bad for business when your sport is 85% black and a major part of black culture. Its bad for business. This is like you having a business partner who insults the majority of your customers and workers at the same time. I would force him out ASAP

Last edited by Fionn mac Cumh; 04-29-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Not riding the train

In full context of his remarks, I was more offended that they are BOTH a disgusting couple.

Later, the man went on: “You can sleep with them, you can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that and not to bring them to my games.”
Old 04-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
In full context of his remarks, I was more offended that they are BOTH a disgusting couple.

Later, the man went on: “You can sleep with them, you can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that and not to bring them to my games.”
I agree! It's horrible that he was accepting of her sleeping around. Then again, this guy's moral compass is completely broken.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

I listened to the presser.

1) IMO, the commish had to give the max, or face chaos. He sounded very uncomfortable. Didn't see it, but his voice was not confident at all.

2) The commish said the punishment was only based on the 9-minute phone conversation (more on that). If this is true, IMO it was heavy handed and excessive. If they had based it on more than just one issue, I would be okay with the lifetime ban.

3) I abhor what he said, at the same time I hope he sues both the gold digger who baited him into saying these things and TMZ who paid and distributed the audio. This was supposed to be a PRIVATE conversation (more on this, too). IIRC, Cali requires both parties consent to tape a phone conversation.

Listen to the audio, he did not volunteer the information, he was responding to her questions baiting him into saying these things.

4). Mark Cuban said it's a slippery slope. I agree. Will the NBA now start legislating private conversations? What if someone records a conservative owner during a private conversation giving his opinion of homosexuals or other non-pc topics?

I don't like that they used a felonious recording of a private conversation to make a heavy handed punishment.

That said, I don't think the NBA commish had a choice but to do so.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I listened to the presser.

1) IMO, the commish had to give the max, or face chaos. He sounded very uncomfortable. Didn't see it, but his voice was not confident at all.

2) The commish said the punishment was only based on the 9-minute phone conversation (more on that). If this is true, IMO it was heavy handed and excessive. If they had based it on more than just one issue, I would be okay with the lifetime ban.

3) I abhor what he said, at the same time I hope he sues both the gold digger who baited him into saying these things and TMZ who paid and distributed the audio. This was supposed to be a PRIVATE conversation (more on this, too). IIRC, Cali requires both parties consent to tape a phone conversation.

Listen to the audio, he did not volunteer the information, he was responding to her questions baiting him into saying these things.

4). Mark Cuban said it's a slippery slope. I agree. Will the NBA now start legislating private conversations? What if someone records a conservative owner during a private conversation giving his opinion of homosexuals or other non-pc topics?

I don't like that they used a felonious recording of a private conversation to make a heavy handed punishment.

That said, I don't think the NBA commish had a choice but to do so.
Read what I wrote. Also this has to do with his racist past as well. Look his past up.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn mac Cumh View Post

Read what I wrote. Also this has to do with his racist past as well. Look his past up.
Did you listen to the presser? The question was asked if his past had anything to do with the punishment. The commish said no. He punished him based on this illegally taped, private phone conversation.

I understand he's been accused of things and sued by the Justice Dept before. But that had no bearing on the punishment, per the Commish.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you listen to the presser? The question was asked if his past had anything to do with the punishment. The commish said no. He punished him based on this illegally taped, private phone conversation.

I understand he's been accused of things and sued by the Justice Dept before. But that had no bearing on the punishment, per the Commish.
Ok lets pretend that it didnt. You now what did? The huge backlash. You know what was part of that backlash? The phone call along with his racist past. I dont think these cry baby millionaire athletes are the victims by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, either is some old fart bigot billionaire either. You cant be in the public eye and say things like that like it or now. Especially when the majority of you employees and customer base is the minority you dont like. Stop acting like he is some victim here. Again, he will sell the team he bought for 13million for 1.5billion. Let that sink in.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

There are no victims in this whole thing. We are talking about a billionaire racist and a bunch of minorities who own their riches to a bigot. Doc Rivers knew Sterling was a racist. So did the other players. I just want this whole thing to go away now.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok lets pretend that it didnt. You now what did? The huge backlash. You know what was part of that backlash? The phone call along with his racist past.
We don't have to pretend, unless you think the Commish is lying. Why would he lie and say he based the punishment solely on the phone call and not on past accusations of prejudice?

Of course the Commish felt he HAD to act and give the max punishment, or else he'd have all kinds of stupid chaos with players boycotting and Al Sharpton bringing a riot to NBA HQ.

Quote:
I dont think these cry baby millionaire athletes are the victims by any stretch of the imagination.
Of course not. These are grown men making millions of dollars playing a game. Gimme a break.

Quote:
That being said, either is some old fart bigot billionaire either. You cant be in the public eye and say things like that like it or now. Especially when the majority of you employees and customer base is the minority you dont like.
It was a private conversation. As much as I abhor his comments, he has a right to a private conversation. Or is free speech lost now?

Quote:
Stop acting like he is some victim here. Again, he will sell the team he bought for 13million for 1.5billion. Let that sink in.

I never said he was a victim. He got what he deserved. Did he really think that this (I'll be nice) VERY loose woman cared about anything else but his money? How stupid can this guy be? I listened to the 9 minute call, completely amazed that he realized she was baiting him. She knew what she was doing. She was setting herself up for a big payday.

Last edited by n david; 04-29-2014 at 05:09 PM.