Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
holy ghost, jesus, praise, shouting, worship

Old 07-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Re: Sit Down and Behave Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
1) What's not desireable about praising God?

2) Specifically, what's not desireable about the clip I posted?

I literally ache for my current congregation. I ache for GOD to just invade our services, pouring out His Spirit on the believers as well as the church-goers!

Is my ache misplaced?

Is there no value to dancing in the spirit, speaking in tongues in worship and praise, and leaping for joy?
Take into consideration that during the first 300 years of Christianity Christians had no buildings, choirs, etc. They had meetings, prayer, bread, wine, and the Word. As Paul taught, you could hear a pin drop. All gathered in each home where Paul taught hung on his every word.

Since leaving all the hype behind, I've found a depth and peace that surpasses understanding. A reckoning in faith... a knowing by Spirit.

Yes, tongues have their place. Perhaps even dancing has it's place in worship. And yes even tongues have their place (if used in accordance to Scripture). But prompted hype and fast tempo that activates involuntary signals in the brain are not necessary. The vibrado, the false cry... it's all just lost on me today. Give me the Word. Our worship isn't found in a dancing frenzy two to three times a week. Our worship is with our very lives. Driving to work is an act of worship. Adorning ourselves in modesty is an act of worship. Playing with our children is an act of worship. Loving our spouses is an act of worship. Reading our Bible is an act of worship. And in all these things, we keep a heart filled with praise.

Last edited by Aquila; 07-05-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Take into consideration that during the first 300 years of Christianity Christians had no buildings, choirs, etc. They had meetings, prayer, bread, wine, and the Word. As Paul taught, you could hear a pin drop. All gathered in each home where Paul taught hung on his every word.

Since leaving all the hype behind, I've found a depth and peace that surpasses understanding. A reckoning in faith... a knowing by Spirit.

Yes, tongues have their place. Perhaps even dancing has it's place in worship. And yes even tongues have their place (if used in accordance to Scripture). But prompted hype and fast tempo that activates involuntary signals in the brain are not necessary. The vibrado, the false cry... it's all just lost on me today. Give me the Word. Our worship isn't found in a dancing frenzy two to three times a week. Our worship is with our very lives. Driving to work is an act of worship. Playing with your children is an act of worship. Loving your spouse is an act of worship. Reading your Bible is an act of worship. And in all these things, we keep a heart filled with praise.

Maybe the prompted hype became a substitute for some for the Holy Spirit moving in their services. There's nothing wrong with being excited about the work of Grace in our lives-- or are there people on here that would debate that too?

Regardless, I'm not just talking about human exuberance.

But doesn't the Holy Spirit bring more than just hype when He is manifested in our gatherings?

When the Holy Spirit is manifested in our services, doesn't He bring joy-- would then running be inappropriate?

If God dwells in the praises of His people, shouldn't we praise Him until He manifests Himself-- and not be satisfied until He manifests Himself?

Should we be satisfied with offering golf claps to Jesus?

Where is the sacrifice in that?

We don't need hype, but is there something wrong with willfully, with your mind, deciding to leap, run, dance in praise to God?

Is there something wrong with doing this as we watch for God to manifest Himself in our services?

Praise and worship are biblical commands. Do we really believe that our golf claps satisfy this biblical requirement? Is self-sacrificing, ego-sacrificing, dress shirt-sacrificing praise and worship not a standard for the 21st century Christian to uphold?

Am I mistaken?

Is my burden missplaced?

Doesn't anyone want, even need, the Holy Spirit to show up in our worship services?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Delta,

I will examine myself to make sure that I'm not being selfish.

I sincerely believe that there is something amiss when dry services are the norm.

Why shouldn't we be hungrier for GOD to manifest HIMSELF in our praise and worship? Why am I even asking this question on a Pentecostal forum? Have we forgot the rock God found us up under. His Mercy kept us from being ground to powder and now that we are planted upon that Rock, it's not necessary, maybe even not appropriate to demonstrably praise Him for His Kindness!

That is a lie from the pit of hell!

Yes, God can and often does change lives in the course of Biblical teaching.

Far too many Christians who are raised in church are never taught how to live in the real world outside of the church.

I get it. Plain speaking reaches many, many souls and can encourage change in the life of the believer and conviction in the life of the sinner-- but not plain speaking without the power of the Holy Spirit.

Still, biblical Christianity was birthed in the cauldron of praise and worship to GOD-- demonstrated praise and worship so radical that the sound of a rushing mighty wind was heard accompanying the praise and worship of the believers.

Who says we can't have that?

Who says we shouldn't want that?

We need faith.

We need praise and worship.

We need teaching.

I'd even suggest that these things are listed in the order of most importance-- biblical faith in the Gospel of Christ, praise and worship to God, and biblical teaching for doctrinal purity and everyday living.

It seems that so many are content with going without praise and worship that includes the DYNAMITE of the Holy Spirit-- within and without Oneness Pentecostalism.

It really has me concerned.

There is something wrong when the DYNAMITE of the Holy Spirit is missing from our gatherings for worship.
I go to a church that has extremely powerful moves of the Holy Spirit every Sunday. The music is simple and lyrically deep. After service hundreds of people can be seen crying and praying or encouraging one another. It is such a sweet presence of God. There aren't "praise breaks" and they don't repeat the same words over and over.

If a church is "dead" then there is a problem. I go to a church that is very rare and don't expect most people to understand unless they have been.

There are times when I can barely contain myself in church but there is absolutely no hype or encouragement to act in any way that is not natural.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Take into consideration that during the first 300 years of Christianity Christians had no buildings, choirs, etc.
Take into consideration Acts the 2nd chapter.

Take into consideration the response of Simon the Sorcerer to the demonstrated DYNAMITE of the Holy Spirit.

Take into consideration the supernatural manner in which Cornelius had the Gospel preached to him, and the result of that sermon.

Take into consideration the Greek word for Holy Spirit and how dynamite is directly assoicated with that same word.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerrak

you can find this in charasmatic or trinitarian pentacostal churches as well. Its not just a Oneness thing.
Apparently not where he's going.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Oh GOD!

We so DESPERATELY need You!

Oh GOD! I need You! My church needs You! I need You!

Pour out Your Holy Spirit on the hearts of the people gathered there. You were found by a people who didn't seek You. How much more so will You allow for those who seek Your Face to see Your Face!

I don't want to be satisfied with way things are!

Oh GOD! Don't let it happen to me that I am convinced that You are pleased with a golf clap. Change the hearts of Your people-- draw us back to You in our praise and worship and CHANGE FOREVER the way we conduct church services so that we seek and experience Your manifest Presence in our services.

Re-ingnite Your Flame in Your people and burn the hearts of the church goers-- drawing all of us to a deeper relationship with You!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

You're not gonna get that at the A of G mega church.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Renewed

Quote:
Maybe the prompted hype became a substitute for some for the Holy Spirit moving in their services. There's nothing wrong with being excited about the work of Grace in our lives-- or are there people on here that would debate that too?

Regardless, I'm not just talking about human exuberance.

But doesn't the Holy Spirit bring more than just hype when He is manifested in our gatherings?

When the Holy Spirit is manifested in our services, doesn't He bring joy-- would then running be inappropriate?

If God dwells in the praises of His people, shouldn't we praise Him until He manifests Himself-- and not be satisfied until He manifests Himself?

Should we be satisfied with offering golf claps to Jesus?

Where is the sacrifice in that?

We don't need hype, but is there something wrong with willfully, with your mind, deciding to leap, run, dance in praise to God?

Is there something wrong with doing this as we watch for God to manifest Himself in our services?

Praise and worship are biblical commands. Do we really believe that our golf claps satisfy this biblical requirement? Is self-sacrificing, ego-sacrificing, dress shirt-sacrificing praise and worship not a standard for the 21st century Christian to uphold?

Am I mistaken?

Is my burden missplaced?

Doesn't anyone want, even need, the Holy Spirit to show up in our worship services?
Quote:
Oh GOD!

We so DESPERATELY need You!

Oh GOD! I need You! My church needs You! I need You!

Pour out Your Holy Spirit on the hearts of the people gathered there. You were found by a people who didn't seek You. How much more so will You allow for those who seek Your Face to see Your Face!

I don't want to be satisfied with way things are!

Oh GOD! Don't let it happen to me that I am convinced that You are pleased with a golf clap. Change the hearts of Your people-- draw us back to You in our praise and worship and CHANGE FOREVER the way we conduct church services so that we seek and experience Your manifest Presence in our services.

Re-ingnite Your Flame in Your people and burn the hearts of the church goers-- drawing all of us to a deeper relationship with You!
Amen amen and amen.

Preach for you are not alone.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 07-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
I cut my teeth in old fashioned Pentecostal services. Dancing in the Spirit, running the aisles, jumping up and down were normative expressions of worship. They were, in our veiw, Biblical responses to the blessing of God. As the Spirit moved, we moved with Him, as best as we understood. And God moved, blessing, healing, saving, and filling with the Holy Ghost. What some see as "emotionalism' was, to us, worshipping God "in Spirit and in truth". I miss those days. I would trade all the drama teams, the choregraphed dance teams, and the glitzy entertainment found in todays Pentecostal services for one old fashioned, Holy Ghost, Pentecostal rally.

But what can I say? I don't think I was "one born for such a time as this".
Amen and amen. Neither was I brother.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
Looks like hysteria to me.
Looks like...to me. Be that as it may, that does not make it hysteria.

Someone running from one side to the other is not hysterical. Someone jumping up and down is not exhibiting hysteria. Someone shouting "Praise Jesus" is not hysterical. I think perhaps you've never witnessed someone genuinely hysterical or perhaps you were just attempting to be pejorative.

Quote:
I have seen a lot of stuff in the altar and a lot of it had nothing to do with worship.
Not everything is worship. Some of it is emotional reactions. The bible calls that "rejoicing"

Quote:
Like I said, there is nothing wrong with this unless we start trying to call it worship. It is people having a good time.
Except that you labled it hysteria? Seems contradictory

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.