Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Happily "off the chain"

Re: Please Help Me With A Scripture

Jesus said He (Himself) only speaks what He hears from the Father (John 7:16-18, John 8:38, John 12:49). This was said to emphasize He wasn't doing His own, personal thing, but was doing the will of God, teaching the Truth of God. The same is said of the Spirit (not speaking on His own authority, but speaking what He hears), and the meaning is the same: just as Jesus wasn't some guy promoting himself, but was simply the Messenger of God's truth, the Spirit won't be some spirit promoting itself, but would be the Messenger of God. Furthermore, the Spirit would be identifiable by its conformity to Christ and His doctrine.

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Jesus said He (Himself) only speaks what He hears from the Father (John 7:16-18, John 8:38, John 12:49). This was said to emphasize He wasn't doing His own, personal thing, but was doing the will of God, teaching the Truth of God. The same is said of the Spirit (not speaking on His own authority, but speaking what He hears), and the meaning is the same: just as Jesus wasn't some guy promoting himself, but was simply the Messenger of God's truth, the Spirit won't be some spirit promoting itself, but would be the Messenger of God. Furthermore, the Spirit would be identifiable by its conformity to Christ and His doctrine.
ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
This answer is *way* better than anything I was ever going to come up with. Thank you, Esaias.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Respectfully, you posted thrice and not once attempted to give any input regarding my honest question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Well, that will get a lot of people to come to your thread.
Quote:
What's your avatar say?

Don't believe what anyone tells you?
Quote:
Hey people are mostly doing something else around this time. It isn't like we have an army of posters. Give your thread some time. If you need an answer fast, ask the elders in your church.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I will study your response when I get home. I appreciate your help, Esaias.

Blessings,
BW
Old 03-15-2019, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Esaias is to be recognized for providing a detailed, direct answer.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Esaias is to be recognized for providing a detailed, direct answer.
He is definitely recognized
ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Administrator

What about;

13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old Today, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
What about;

13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Great scripture. This is one that is often left without an answer by oneness believers for some reason. Obviously trinitarians use this to support their view however this scripture's primary purpose is to identify the Christ, Messiah.

To explain in very simple terms.

Lets look at the "Dove". We can not see the Spirit of God unless it is manifest in some form, but it is said in John 1:33 that "upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him",...
The next verse says "and I saw and bare record that this is the Son of God."
I believe the "dove" was only an identifier for the forerunner, John the Baptist that Jesus was indeed the Christ.
As for the voice from heaven. This too I believe was spoken to John and maybe those around to identify the Christ.
The oneness understanding of this is very simple. God, although he became a man did not stop being the same transcendent God. So as God in his "basic" nature i.e. transcendent, invisible, Spirit could speak concerning His own fleshly manifestation, the man Jesus.

This to me is a very basic understanding of the scriptures you presented. The scripture is not teaching three persons but simply identifying the man Jesus as the Christ they were looking for.
Old Today, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
Great scripture. This is one that is often left without an answer by oneness believers for some reason. Obviously trinitarians use this to support their view however this scripture's primary purpose is to identify the Christ, Messiah.

To explain in very simple terms.

Lets look at the "Dove". We can not see the Spirit of God unless it is manifest in some form, but it is said in John 1:33 that "upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him",...
The next verse says "and I saw and bare record that this is the Son of God."
I believe the "dove" was only an identifier for the forerunner, John the Baptist that Jesus was indeed the Christ.
As for the voice from heaven. This too I believe was spoken to John and maybe those around to identify the Christ.
The oneness understanding of this is very simple. God, although he became a man did not stop being the same transcendent God. So as God in his "basic" nature i.e. transcendent, invisible, Spirit could speak concerning His own fleshly manifestation, the man Jesus.

This to me is a very basic understanding of the scriptures you presented. The scripture is not teaching three persons but simply identifying the man Jesus as the Christ they were looking for.
Yup exactly. Jesus was 100% God yet never ceased to steal be an omnipresent God.