Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Does God allow disease because of sin?

I was listening to a well known UPC preacher preach on CD this morning and this is what he said verbatim.

“This lady is dying, there is a malignancy in her body, and it is there because of her attitude toward her husband.”

Doctors diagnosed two terminal diseases. The preacher told her to repent to her husband and work things out with him.

Later she went back to the doctors and they said that she was misdiagnosed.

What I wonder about is does God allow people to have disease because of sin or in this case the ladies attitude toward her husband?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:39 AM
PaPaDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcD View Post
I was listening to a well known UPC preacher preach on CD this morning and this is what he said verbatim.

“This lady is dieing, there is a malignancy in her body, and it is there because of her attitude toward her husband.”

Doctors diagnosed two terminal diseases. The preacher told her to repent to her husband and work things out with him.

What I wonder about is does God allow people to have disease because of sin or in this case the ladies attitude toward her husband?

Might I suggest you read Job 33:14-22? I think you might find it quite enlightening with regards to this issue.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:40 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

I dont know about dying over an attitude toward her husband (meaning this particular situation) as I dont know any of the particulars

but clearly the bible says that sin can and does cause sickness.

If this pastor is one whos fruit is known, who is one who truely walks with God, then I would personally tend to believe the report.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I dont know about dying over an attitude toward her husband (meaning this particular situation) as I dont know any of the particulars

If this pastor is one whos fruit is known, who is one who truely walks with God, then I would personally tend to believe the report.
I agree with Ferd here.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:

“This lady is dieing, there is a malignancy in her body, and it is there because of her attitude toward her husband.”

I believe that all imbalances, in health, environment, society, wildlife, etc. are there, ultimately because man sinned and brought sin into the world.

I believe that in some cases illness can be a trial, or it could be punishment from God, but more often than not, it's just a symptom of our imperfect world, and not necessarily the sin of one person, as much as the sins of all of us.

Further, God sometimes has a purpose above what we can understand, and we aren't ill because we "deserve" it, or for any other reason, except that for some reason its in His plan.

Joh 9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
Joh 9:2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
Joh 9:3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 04-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
I believe that all imbalances, in health, environment, society, wildlife, etc. are there, ultimately because man sinned and brought sin into the world.

I believe that in some cases illness can be a trial, or it could be punishment from God, but more often than not, it's just a symptom of our imperfect world, and not necessarily the sin of one person, as much as the sins of all of us.

Further, God sometimes has a purpose above what we can understand, and we aren't ill because we "deserve" it, or for any other reason, except that for some reason its in His plan.

Joh 9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
Joh 9:2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
Joh 9:3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
Bratperson,

This is a wonderful answer and right on the money! Good job.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

I do not personally know the man but my father had him preach for him and thinks very highly of him, so I would tend to believe he is a true man of God and has fruits to show it.

I am curious as how this is backed up bibically that a disease could come upon someone because of sin.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Non-Resident Redneck

Quote:
I do not personally know the man but my father had him preach for him and thinks very highly of him, so I would tend to believe he is a true man of God and has fruits to show it.

I am curious as how this is backed up bibically that a disease could come upon someone because of sin.
Miss B said it as well as it can be said.

But to answer your question, yes, there is Biblical backing for disease coming on someone because of sin.

I could share some true stories, but I don't really thing the environment here is appropriate.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Remember Miram?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

It's scientific fact that attitude can affect our health, both positively and negatively.

I also believe God can send us a 'wake up call' in regard to our health also.

I hesistate validating someone who would suggest that someone is sick because of what they believe to be true, but like others have said, if his fruit is known, then he might be on the mark.