Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

Exclamation I rebuke the "computer" demons in Jesus name!

Folks, my XP Home desktop computer is stuck at the startup screen. I don't do hardware so I dont know if my system operating system is corrupted, my processer board or hard-drive failed, etc.

I cannot lose the contents of this hard-drive. I have all my Sunday morning series, Bible study notes and worksheets, sermons and extended studies (both personal and other resources), over 100+ sermon mp3's (old and new alike).

I have backed up many of my personal files onto CD previously but it would still result in years worth of resources lost....

I've never prayed over a computer before, but I need God to grant one of three people the knowledge of how to fix this computer: my BIL, my uncle, or a good friend from WI (all of which are computer techs).

I dont care about the remaining hardware, as long as the harddrive can be salvaged. I am willing to turn around and buy a new computer tomorrow, if need be.

I rebuke the "computer" demons in Jesus name!!!!

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes
Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

That's it! You tell em Brother! I know how you feel, I reformat my computer every once in awhile, but I have everything backed up to CD, DVD or an 80 gig USB external hard drive I got at Wal Mart for 90 bucks.

Can you take it to a computer place that fixes computers? They can usually salvage what is on your hard drive...though sometimes things are lost!

I always stress to people HOW IMPORTANT backing up really is! This is exactly why! If you can, get you a usb external hard drive later on so that if something like this happens again, you will be ready.And then back up your important info every day! It will save you a lot of headaches in the future, trust me.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:42 AM

What's a backup?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:16 AM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Hold the start button (where you turn the computer on) down until it shuts off...

then wait a couple of seconds and turn back on..
Old 06-19-2007, 04:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Hold the start button (where you turn the computer on) down until it shuts off...

then wait a couple of seconds and turn back on..

ummmm.....NO...that is called a REBOOT!

A backup.... is where you put all of your files like pictures, music and other important documents onto a CD,DVD or an external usb hard drive....so that the information you need is "saved"if your main hard drive quits on you like in this case.

There are also programs you can get that will make a backup of your info with just a click of the mouse and then you can burn it to a CD or DVD or put it on an external hard drive you have.

For the original poster....you can use one of these FREE utilities to see if you can recover the stuff from your hard drive
http://www.sofotex.com/download/PC_U...Data_Recovery/

They also have a section of free backup software to backup your stuff.
http://www.sofotex.com/download/PC_Utilities/Back_Up/
Old 06-19-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webe123 View Post
ummmm.....NO...that is called a REBOOT!

A backup.... is where you put all of your files like pictures, music and other important documents onto a CD,DVD or an external usb hard drive....so that the information you need is "saved"if your main hard drive quits on you like in this case.

There are also programs you can get that will make a backup of your info with just a click of the mouse and then you can burn it to a CD or DVD or put it on an external hard drive you have.

For the original poster....you can use one of these FREE utilities to see if you can recover the stuff from your hard drive
http://www.sofotex.com/download/PC_U...Data_Recovery/

They also have a section of free backup software to backup your stuff.
http://www.sofotex.com/download/PC_Utilities/Back_Up/
He cannot get to the BIOS check screens.

Maybe he has a new paperweight....
Old 06-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
He cannot get to the BIOS check screens.

Maybe he has a new paperweight....

Well mabye this will help him make backups AFTER he gets his computer fixed. Can't hurt!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webe123 View Post
Well mabye this will help him make backups AFTER he gets his computer fixed. Can't hurt!
I aske again- what is a backup?

Was that when I had to reinstall in partition #4 or partition #6 ? (they are both still on the drive!)
Old 06-19-2007, 06:45 AM
Hello AFF!

I recently had pop ups and went to micro-soft updates and downloaded security updates for spy and adware.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

its just stuck at the black startup screen, and in safe mode or normal mode.... loads up to XP welcome screen with blue loading bar... beeps then goes back to the black startup screen.... loading in safe mode shows a screen full of files from the Windows/win32/driver directory.... dont know what that means, but.... its still broken....

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes