Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-22-2024, 07:51 PM

Re: Prophesied coming of the Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Yes mam. He he even told Peter that if Johns around when he comes back, what is it to him.

Luke 21
Have you studied about the “why” of Gods days of vengeance, and who it was toward? I think few have

22..For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

32..Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

Plain english.

Interesting to me that when Jesus stood up in Luke chapter 4, and quoted from Isaiah 61, he left off this part:
“And the day of vengeance of our God”

Mal. 4: 5“Look, I am sending you the prophet Elijah before the great and dreadful day of the LORD arrives

Paul said the Lord would grant relief to the church in Thess., from those that were afflicting them.
The question is, how did he fulfill his promise while they were alive, to grant them relief from being afflicted?

1 Thess. 1 since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, 7..and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels 8..in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

How was the bold fulfilled to church in Thess.?

It’s impossible for him to have fulfilled that, if the people died without him fulfilling that promise, to them, back then.

Luke 11
You build tombs for the prophets, but it was your fathers who killed them. 48So you are witnesses consenting to the deeds of your fathers: They killed the prophets, and you build their tombs. 49Because of this, the wisdom of God said, ‘I will send them prophets and apostles; some of them they will kill and others they will persecute.’
50As a result, this generation will be charged with the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the foundation of the world, 51from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the sanctuary.h Yes, I tell you, all of it will be charged to this generation.

He didn’t lie. He took vengeance on them like he said he would.

Just was watching “The Chosen”.
Jesus didn’t mention the day of Vengeance when reading “The spirit of the Lord is upon me….”
The Pharisee Rabi asked him why he left it out. He said because the rest is now, and the vengeance is in the future.

Whatever the case, the fact is he left it out when quoting from Isaiah 61.
I can’t help but wonder why.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 01-23-2024, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
So, basically, the God you believe in has been overcome in practice by his own creation, so he turns to giving only invisible promises.

The God I believe in, removes the wicked from his creation, renews it, and gives his resurrected saints to enjoy . It is the restoration of all things.

After Pentecost, during the preaching of the Gospel:

Acts 3:19-21
19 “Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, so that there may come times of refreshing from the presence of the Lord, 20 and that he may send Christ Jesus, who was ordained for you before, 21 whom heaven must receive until the [SIZE="5”]times of restoration of all things[/SIZE], which God spoke long ago by the mouth of his holy prophets.

Acts 17:30-32
30 The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked. But now he commands that all people everywhere should repent, 31 because he has appointed a day in which he will judge the world in righteousness by the man whom he has ordained; of which he has given assurance to all men, in that he has raised him from the dead.”
32 Now when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked; but others said, “We want to hear you again concerning this.”

It is not the first time people have a hard time believing in these things.

Immediately following the transfiguration

Matt. 17:
11 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished

https://biblehub.com/matthew/17-11.htm

Jesus said John the Baptist was Elijah that would restore all things…

No doubt from Mal. 4:

See, I will send the prophet Elijah to you before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.”

Luke 1:16 - (regarding John the b)

And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God.
Luke 1:16

17 He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

Interesting stuff, no?

What are your thoughts on John the Baptist being the restorer of all things, according to Jesus and Matthew 17, as it relates to Acts 17:31?

How could John the Baptist restore all things, as it relates to your idea of the restoration of all things?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 01-23-2024 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:18 AM

Looks to me like we have to deal with whatever John the Baptist was to restore, it was considered all things by Jesus. Whatever exactly that entails.

The fact that they cut John’s head off, probably means he didn’t get all things restored, and the “OR ELSE” of Malachi 4 comes in to play

Last edited by shag; 01-23-2024 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Immediately following the transfiguration

Matt. 17:
11 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished

https://biblehub.com/matthew/17-11.htm

Jesus said John the Baptist was Elijah that would restore all things…

No doubt from Mal. 4:

See, I will send the prophet Elijah to you before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.”

Luke 1:16 - (regarding John the b)

And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God.
Luke 1:16

17 He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

Interesting stuff, no?

What are your thoughts on John the Baptist being the restorer of all things, according to Jesus and Matthew 17, as it relates to Acts 17:31?

How could John the Baptist restore all things, as it relates to your idea of the restoration of all things?
Context? You cant take a phrase from one place and from another and connect them without also connecting their respective logical context.

Hermeneutics 101, shag
"The entirety of Your word is truth" (Ps 119:160)

Bible Study Notes
https://apostolicbiblestudynotes.wordpress.com

Last edited by coksiw; 01-23-2024 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:29 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Meyer's NT Commentary
Matthew 17:11. In His reply, Jesus admits the correctness of the teaching of the scribes in regard to this matter, and at the same time supplements the quotation made from it by the disciples (by adding κ. ἀποκατ. π.), in which supplement the use of the future-present ἔρχεται and the future ἀποκαταστ. are to be justified on the ground that they are the ipsissima verba of the teaching in question. “Unquestionably it is precisely as they say: Elias is coming and will restore everything again.” Inasmuch as what is here meant is the work of the coming Elias, and not the whole moral work of the Messiah in regenerating the world (as in Acts 3:21), the ἀποκατάστασις πάντων, an expression taken from the rendering of Malachi 4:6 by the LXX., refers, in the sense of the scribes, to the restitutio in integrum (for such is the meaning of the word, see note on Acts 3:21) of the entire theocratic order of things by way of preparation for the Messiah, in which case we are not to think merely of a moral regeneration of the people, but also of the restoration of outward objects of a sacred character (such as the urna mannae, and so on). Jesus, on the other hand, knowing as He does that the promised coming of Elias has been fulfilled in the Baptist (Matthew 11:14), refers to the preaching and preparatory labours of the latter, in which he believes the ἀποκαταστήσει πάντα to have been realized in the highest sense, and in the way most in keeping with the prophet’s own words in Malachi 4:6 (Sir 48:10; Luke 1:17; Luke 3:1). The coming of the real Elias, who is expected to appear before the second advent (Hilary, Chrysostom, Augustine, Theophylact, Euth. Zigabenus, the majority of the older Catholic expositors, likewise Arnoldi, Schegg), is taught by Jesus neither here nor elsewhere. See, on the contrary, Matthew 17:12 f., Matthew 11:14. This also in answer to Lechler in the Stud. u. Krit. 1854, p. 831.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf