Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Pride of the Neighborhood

Hypocritical: Guilt by Association

For all those Obama fanatics: how is it that you cry foul over the Ayers connections, the Wright controversies, et al but then you want to blame Mac for some idiot shouting out stupid stuff at a rally or you want to peg Bush's presidency on Mac?

How is it wrong to ask legitimate questions about BO and his alliances over the years, but y'all can try to connect Mac with one out of 20,000 people in a crowd hollering random comments?

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Re: Hypocritical: Guilt by Association

Deacon, I think you have been promoted to preacher and I am your "Amen" corner.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Matthew 7:6

What was also hypocritical was how the bomb throwers on the left gave Sarah Palin's daughter a hard time for being pregnant at 17 while unmarried, even though she and the father plan to be married shortly...

...But they dont say a word about the fact that Ann Dunham was also unmarried when she got pregnant at 18, before later marrying the her childs father, and then giving birth in August 1961. Her child's name: Barack Obama.

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon blues View Post
For all those Obama fanatics: how is it that you cry foul over the Ayers connections, the Wright controversies, et al but then you want to blame Mac for some idiot shouting out stupid stuff at a rally or you want to peg Bush's presidency on Mac?

How is it wrong to ask legitimate questions about BO and his alliances over the years, but y'all can try to connect Mac with one out of 20,000 people in a crowd hollering random comments?
And there are questions if those were not Obama plants to stir up the controversy.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Mr. Stewart

Just for the sake of conversation (because it appears that none is forthcoming), let me weigh in here. I am not an Obama fanatic, neither am I one who criticized McCain for what was being yelled at the rally. However, I will say that the criticism that is being leveled is that it is the rhetoric that the McCain/Palin ticket had been using that had tapped into some latent racists emotions in some of their followers. To McCain's credit, he did try to stem it when it began boiling over right in front of him, but then even he was booed by those who had come out to see and here more of the same. The criticsim is not of 1 or two people, but of whether the nature of some of the personal attacks is tapping into something deeper for some people and possibly leading to wider rifts than necessary...because at the end of the day, no matter who wins we all have to come back to being fellow Americans.

It is videos like these of McCain/Palin supporters that are making their rounds and making people wonder whether this has gone far beyond simply politics and candidates and whether the rhetoric of the campaigning has uncovered and tapped into other things. Personally, I thought the monkey was a particularly classless touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrExRHZnm0

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 AM
My Family!

WOW!

Where was that?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
WOW!

Where was that?
I think PA, but there are a few floating around out there. Most of the criticism that I have heard that I give any credence to is not that McCain/Palin is guilty of associating with people, but that they may be guilty of feeding into some of this...to the extent that McCain himself had to recoil when faced with the end result.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

What bothers me isnt what various individuals who support these candidates say. It is what is being reported by so called news outlets.

McCain/Palin have people at thier rallies who have said things that are clearly wrong, and that is a reflection on McCain... It is his fault because he talked about real relationships that Obama has.

However, you have never once heard any connection between the radical left distroying businesses in St. Paul during the RNC and liberalism in general or Barak Obama in particular.

That really bothers me. On the right, you have folk saying things like "he is muslim" and "off with his head". On the left you have hundreds of people being tossed in jail for distruction of private property as they protest John McCain and Republicans.

the conservitives reflect all that is wrong with the Republican party yet these radical leftists arent even the slightest reflection on Barak and the Democrats.

that really bugs me.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
I think PA, but there are a few floating around out there. Most of the criticism that I have heard that I give any credence to is not that McCain/Palin is guilty of associating with people, but that they may be guilty of feeding into some of this...to the extent that McCain himself had to recoil when faced with the end result.
I'm not sure I could agree that they are feeding into some of it - they are asking WHO HE IS, but not saying things like these people are saying.

It would have been good to hear what the other side of the street was yelling at them too.

People have the internet, blogs, emails that are circulating with all the questions that has caused people to react like this. There are a lot of unanswered questions.

I guess it's all in who's eyes you are looking through because when I saw the monkey - I saw Curious George.....people are curious - not the monkey, but I can understand how someone else could see just the monkey.

It's sad to be so divided on such an important event as choosing our next president.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
I'm not sure I could agree that they are feeding into some of it - they are asking WHO HE IS, but not saying things like these people are saying.

It would have been good to hear what the other side of the street was yelling at them too.

People have the internet, blogs, emails that are circulating with all the questions that has caused people to react like this. There are a lot of unanswered questions.

I guess it's all in who's eyes you are looking through because when I saw the monkey - I saw Curious George.....people are curious - not the monkey, but I can understand how someone else could see just the monkey.

It's sad to be so divided on such an important event as choosing our next president.

I agree that a lot can be missed in interpretation, but the gentleman was not saying that the people were the curious monkey, he specifically stated several times that the monkey was Obama. There is more extensive video in other places. Personally, I don't get too worked up about all of that, I'm just stating what criticisms I have heard about the nature of the rhetoric and the nature of the response that it is generating in some people. Thinking of the big picture, I think that the worse thing that can be done is to run a campaign in such a way that after the election is over, you have created unnecessary rifts in the American people and have generated or surfaced emotions that are detrimental to our being able to be as united as we will need to be in light of some of the present and future challenges.