Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo View Post
Flyin flip is better.

Flappin' floozy?

Flippin' flapper?
What about flying rip?
Old 06-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Ronzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
What about flying rip?
That's a good one!

"Flyin' rat's tail" is a better one.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Chewy

When reading these I just hear in my head what is being said in the world daily.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
I know Renda is not fond of the TORO AWARD ....
Don't you have kids to do things with during vacation?

Should you be creating a new lesson plan for next quarter?

Can you spend time re-arranging the algae in your aquarium instead of these kind of threads?

:sshhh

Guess not.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo View Post
That's a good one!

"Flyin' rat's tail" is a better one.
HAHA. This is a hoot!
Old 06-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

This may not really be on the topic of 'apostolic cussin', but since the subject of cussing was brought up. . here is something I have wondered about in the past (and I will warn you that I do wonder about wierd, if not often stupid things). Who decided cuss words would be just that. . .cuss words? I mean, who heard a word and decided 'hmm, I think that will be a cuss word' and people throughout the world, generation after generation would continue to view it as such? Who has that kind of influence?
Old 06-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
I think PP's "I don't give a flyin' fajita" is the winner.

:whist le
Old 06-01-2007, 05:50 PM
CupCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Nope...but this is just my humble opinion.

I am not the forum police or anywhere else for that matter. I have a hard enough time making sure my lips speak that which genders peace and not grief, both for my benefit and the hearer.
During our travels I had some people ask were the crappier (toilet):sshhh

Thomas Crapper (baptized September 28, 1836; d. January 27, 1910) was a plumber who founded Thomas Crapper & Co. Ltd. in London.

Despite urban legend, Crapper did not invent the flush toilet (the myth being helped by the surname). However, Crapper put in effort to popularise it and did come up with some related inventions. He was noted for the quality of his products and received several Royal Warrants. The noun "........" was in use long before he was born, but no longer used in Victorian Britain.

The manhole covers with Crapper's company's name on them in Westminster Abbey are now a minor tourist attraction.
Contents

The words "........" and "crapper"

Main article: ........

The word "........" is old in the English language, one of a group of nouns applied to discarded cast offs, like "residue from renderings" (1490s) or in Shropshire, "dregs of beer or ale", meanings probably extended from Middle English crappe "chaff, or grain that has been trodden underfoot in a barn" (c. 1440), deriving ultimately from Late Latin crappa, "chaff."

The word fell out of use in Britain by the 1600s, but remained prevalent in the North American colonies which would eventually become the United States. The meaning "to defecate" was recorded in the US since 1846 (according to Oxford and Merriam-Webster), but the word did not hold this meaning at all in Victorian England. The connection to Thomas Crapper is conjectured by Hart-Davis to be an unfortunate coincidence of his surname.

The occupational name Crapper is a variant spelling of "Cropper". In the US, the word crapper is a dysphemism for "toilet," although it is not clear if this has anything to do with Thomas Crapper. The term first appeared in print in the 1930s. It has been suggested that US soldiers stationed in England during World War I (some of whom had little experience with indoor plumbing) saw many toilets printed with "T. Crapper" in the glaze and brought the word home as a synonym for "toilet" — a sort of back-formation from "........."

Yet another purported explanation is that Crapper's flush toilet advertising was so widespread that "crapper" became a synonym for "toilet" and people simply assumed that he was the inventor.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Sheltiedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiah91 View Post
This may not really be on the topic of 'apostolic cussin', but since the subject of cussing was brought up. . here is something I have wondered about in the past (and I will warn you that I do wonder about wierd, if not often stupid things). Who decided cuss words would be just that. . .cuss words? I mean, who heard a word and decided 'hmm, I think that will be a cuss word' and people throughout the world, generation after generation would continue to view it as such? Who has that kind of influence?
To complicate matters further, words that used to be okay, such as "piss" are now not okay to say... and words which used to be vulgar are no longer vulgar... and some slang words mean different things in different places. "Fanny" is a word I heard a lot growing up, but if you say it to someone from England it means something completely different... and to them "Bloody" is cursing, but it doesn't mean anything to us.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:01 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
Don't you have kids to do things with during vacation?

Should you be creating a new lesson plan for next quarter?

Can you spend time re-arranging the algae in your aquarium instead of these kind of threads?

:sshhh

Guess not.
Maybe you should start a thread on how to rearrange algae in an aquarium......