Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

What are your thoughts on this?

Area church to hold worship services in bar

http://www.daytondailynews.com/searc...rchbarweb.html

By Khalid Moss

Staff Writer

Monday, April 14, 2008

The Pub Lounge near the I-75 exit in Sidney is your typical neighborhood restaurant/bar.

It has a dance floor, riding bull, big screen TV, pool tables, pizza, beer and a pleasant, everybody-knows-your-name vibe.
Extras

Which — according to the Rev. Chris Heckaman — makes it the ideal spot for a new church.

Heckaman is senior pastor of Sidney First United Methodist Church, 230 N. Popular St. While his church-in-a-bar ministry may seem like an irreverent idea, it gives new meaning to the phrase "filled with the spirit."

"The idea behind the new Country Rock Church in the Pub Lounge is to reach people where they are," Heckaman said. "We've got a generation of folks who have grown up outside the church where pews, stained glass windows, robes and pulpits don't mean a thing.

"Jesus never formed a church. He never built a building. We're not trying to win people over to church culture. We want to minister to them where they are."

Country Rock Church will hold its first worship service in the Pub Lounge, 1555 W. Michigan St., on Sunday, April 20. Worship and music by the Don Fischer Band begin at 7 p.m.

Heckaman's looking for a mixture of food, fun and faith.

"Churches are beginning to grow as they speak the language of our culture," Heckaman said. "Why not a church in a bar? Why not anywhere else for that matter?"

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2167 or kmoss@DaytonDailyNews.com.
The question was asked, "Why not a church in a bar?"

What are some of your thoughts?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Re: What are your thoughts on this?

What an incredibly innovative outreach program!

Communion ought to be a breeze.

When are we going to minister to the dear ladies that work in the strip clubs?

And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel."

--Amos 7:14-15
Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
What an incredibly innovative outreach program!

Communion ought to be a breeze.

When are we going to minister to the dear ladies that work in the strip clubs?
I wouldn't do the strip club thing. lol That's a bit much.

However, most restaurants have bars. Also, if the clientele is open the idea, why not?

I think that if Jesus were walking the earth today, he might find Harrigan's Tavern more comfortable than most churches. After all, it's not the healthy that have need of a physician.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

This is my personal take on it.

If I wanted to hear about Jesus, I'd go to church.

If I want to have a good time at the bar and someone starts preaching and the management allows it, I'll find me another bar to patronize.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

I heard of another denominational pastor who had a service in a local bar on ladies night. He spoke on relationships and self respect to a section of the bar mostly filled with ladies who listened intently. The bar owner didn't expect so many ladies to take their drinks over to the section where the preacher was speaking but they filled the section, some standing. The preacher had a conversational tone and wasn't "preaching" in typical fashion, but he just spoke on relationships and respect, seasoning much of his message with various verses from the Bible. He also hit some points of humor where a lot of the ladies related and there was some laughter. There was actually quite a good reception from the attendees. Now... the local churches of course want him tared and feathered. lol
Old 01-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

I wonder IF he got permission from the bar's owners? and if so, HOW? If I owned a bar, I'm sure I wouldn't give anyone permission to come in and hold a church service in my bar. Especially not during regular business hours.

On the other hand, if the people get convinced that they can be "fine Christian people" and still carry on their old lifestyle, then I guess it would be to the owner's benefit to have them there.

Hmmm............. something to think about.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
This is my personal take on it.

If I wanted to hear about Jesus, I'd go to church.

If I want to have a good time at the bar and someone starts preaching and the management allows it, I'll find me another bar to patronize.
I think that makes sense. For the most part I agree.

But I think that some clubs invite comedians etc. If the preacher is speaking on a relevant topic, the people might be receptive. For example, relationships, overcoming depression, finding peace in a troubled world, or the importance of family, raising teenagers... I think some folks might not mind listening.

But I agree, when I've been in bars (yep, I've been there done that) I wouldn't have wanted to hear some ranting preacher in the corner of the place. I was there to get a buzz going and meet some ladies.

But a corner of the bar set up to allow a man to simply "speak" on an issue to those interested, why not?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM

I'm not sure of what exactly they are trying to win them over to. Not religion, no doubt, but they still need to be won to a church body of believers, that reflect Jesus. Is that their intentions? I hope. I like the picture, I must say.

I met a full gospl guy the other day that; they use a rather large metal building for church on Sundays. They pay no rent. What they do instead, is clean up (every saturday evening)after the "marriage swapping parties" that 1st take place in the building during the week. The ones that use the building then take their partying to the hotels from there. I think what that church is doing, and having services the next day, could ultimately reach some nitty gritty sinners.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 01-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
I wonder IF he got permission from the bar's owners? and if so, HOW? If I owned a bar, I'm sure I wouldn't give anyone permission to come in and hold a church service in my bar. Especially not during regular business hours.
I'm not so sure if one could call it a "church service" in the way we would typically see it. Obviously this was a service provided by a local church, but the preacher was obviously not yelling into a microphone and pointing a finger, he was in blue jeans and just talking about life's ups and downs. I can picture a preacher talking to a small group in the corner of a bar on, "Looking For Love In All the Wrong Places". If kept practical and good spirited, I'm sure few would see an issue. Most likely, he'd get some good hardy "Amen!"s from some of those who have been in the bar scene a while and have experienced first hand what he'd be talking about.

Quote:
On the other hand, if the people get convinced that they can be "fine Christian people" and still carry on their old lifestyle, then I guess it would be to the owner's benefit to have them there.
True. But I don't think I'd condemn anyone for having a couple drinks in a responsible fashion. I've been known to enjoy a margarita when eating finer Mexican food or a glass of wine with dinner, especially Italian. Now, the carousing and revelry would definitely not be something becoming of a Christian.

I just think the idea is gutsy.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I think that makes sense. For the most part I agree.

But I think that some clubs invite comedians etc. If the preacher is speaking on a relevant topic, the people might be receptive. For example, relationships, overcoming depression, finding peace in a troubled world, or the importance of family, raising teenagers... I think some folks might not mind listening.

But I agree, when I've been in bars (yep, I've been there done that) I wouldn't have wanted to hear some ranting preacher in the corner of the place. I was there to get a buzz going and meet some ladies.

But a corner of the bar set up to allow a man to simply "speak" on an issue to those interested, why not?
If they are truly interested, they'd go to where he is, right?

Exactly how receptive to any topic can someone be in a bar doing what people in bars do?

Overcoming depression? Isn't that why they are in the bar in the first place?

Relationship and how to make them better? Is that something people go to the bar to work on?

Finding peace and the importance of family? If that's something they are interested in, going to the bar isn't going to help them find it.

In addition, since the bar is no place to find these things, let's say it works. This means that people get over their problems and no longer go to the bar for help. So now the bar owners are making less money.

If I was the bar owner, I wouldn't allow it. I serve people drinks to help them forget they have problems, not to help them get over them.