Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:33 PM
paladin for truth

My holiness standards are BETTER!

Quote:
"...immodesty and foppish, flamboyant dress is full of rules given by people who feel that outward standards are shallow--but they still have standards, just coming from the other direction. What an interesting contradiction."
-MissB-

There really is no contradiction in play here when you consider the distinctions drawn between the grounds for exercising “standards” of belief. The below quote was written when I first began exploring these differences, and how an entire culture can be created possessing self-destructive, self-imploding tendencies as a result of incorrect grounds for communal "standards."

Quote:
1. “Because businesses have high standards, therefore, the Church should.”
Absolutely the Church should have standards, however, not on this basis. (And remember, individuals constitute the "Church," not a building or a group per se). We must first recognize that this is often said in the context of the local assembly. Individually, we all form our own standards, so, which ones should we keep and which ones should we discard when stacked up against the corporate offerings? The answer is not always an easy one. This statement is simply an inappropriate comparison, and superficial at best. It is ambiguous as well. What businesses are we referencing here? Not all have noble objectives. Shouldn’t we consider what the objective is before assigning standards of practice? From a rational standpoint, this states that A should adopt X because B has adopted X. Or, in other words, McDonald’s claiming that you should eat their Big Macs daily because Burger King serves Whoppers daily. Logically, this statement lacks foundation, and is actually suspended over nothingness.

2. “How will the world know us if we aren’t different?”
This is possibly the most often used appeal when attempting to prove some arbitrary preference to an audience. The appropriate application of this logic rests on its premise. We should not assume that anything that differentiates a community from another is sufficient grounds for adopting it. Differences can be explicitly expressed, but it must first be based on some principle truth. This is so that communities can maintain the standard faithfully in spite of differences in cultural norms, personal beliefs, or other influential factors. What was the differentiating mark for the Christian faith? I believe it was simply love towards one another.

3. “Because leadership has a right to set the standard.”
This actually depends on the nature of the community. If it is an organization maintaining standards to hold their constituents accountable, then in most cases, yes. If it is the body of Christ, perhaps we should reevaluate the scriptures to see if the standards have already been established. We must remember that the structure of the early church was vastly different than the American model we are familiar with. Therefore, choosing to be part of a fellowship or organization is a choice, not a necessity. Without going over certain scriptures that are repeatedly manipulated to ensure this seat of arbitrary authority, I will approach this from a purely rational perspective. The body of Christ is primarily constrained by two things: Christ’s love, and our reciprocation and obedience to that love. The issue that compromises this essential fabric is clearly stated in scripture, sin. Outside of these parameters, any tradition that leadership places on par with real moral judgment, results in effectively creating an unnecessary situation in which one’s faith could actually be jeopardized by disobedience to that tradition. In my opinion, leaders will be held accountable for explicitly defining these standards of righteousness on the basis of their accuracy, and their real relevance to Biblical truth, not just noble intentions. In addition, if one decides to follow another individual, that leader should be held accountable to the same moral code as well. In the context of Christianity, many people learn under a minister within some local assembly, but both parties should keep in mind that they are ultimately accountable to the truths of God’s word, not each other’s formulations or subjective interpretations of it. So should one submit to extra-biblical traditions within an assembly of believers? If one wants to participate in the community, yes. But I will go on record for saying that not all traditions are healthy, and it is up to the participant to determine their consequences. There should be a mutual understanding between the leader and followers that the reasons for such traditions are for the benefit of the community, and are subject to amendment if their consequences prove otherwise.

4. “Because this standard is based on scripture and truth.”
This is the most potent reason for compliance of standards in my opinion. If one can convince another that this is most certainly the case, then the tradition will be embraced religiously to the extent that it may be very near impossible to reverse the belief. Before making a moral judgment, one must understand the basics of what makes it valid. According to the standard theory, (derived from Kantian ethics, utilitarian ethics, and Judeo-Christian ethics), moral judgment must require three elements to be considered valid and logically defensible (as discussed by Shaw and Barry in "Moral Issues in Business").
1. It must be based on logic.
2. It must be based on fact.
3. It must be based on accepted moral principles.
Many of the truths in the Bible hold these basic rules as we understand them. In fact, it is from the writings of the Bible that we understand the framework of these principles. Proving assertions that traditions or standards are based on truth under these maxims requires critical thought. That is why, in my opinion, many people simply go along with the weak logic that is conditioned into their mind, in spite of its inconsistency with their real-world experiences. Morality need not be confined to a religious setting. As a rule, moral standards always take precedence over other standards.
Conclusion: I believe some attempt to standardize righteousness, holiness and truth by their own performances, a specific dress code, and a harsh disciplined lifestyle. They choose to conform to the standards of some membership in an effort to belong to a particular community. In doing so, many religious bodies have been guilty of teaching heretical doctrines, doctrines that blatantly oppose the scriptures. It no doubt displeases God when people measure another’s spirituality by traditions of men, which according to some, btw, end up placing our Lord Jesus in the category of sinners. However, what I believe God honors most, what He has been trying to tell us for some 2000 years, is that we should follow Him according to His life; because God has already become the standard...in the person of Jesus Christ. He is the ultimate Christian standard. "Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." (Mark 8:34) Make no mistake my friends, there are more Christians taking up their cross and following Christ, than just the ones you smile at sitting beside you in the pew.

Last edited by noeticknight; 01-23-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: My holiness standards are BETTER!

The post above asks the question,
"2. “How will the world know us if we aren’t different?”"

Well, Jesus has already answered that question in John 13:34-35.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Yeah, but He musta left something out.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Yeah, but He musta left something out.
Well, we're a lot smarter than He is.
We know a lot more about living for God than Jesus did.
He was a glutton and a winebibber and a friend of sinners.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 01-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeticknight View Post
...However, what I believe God honors most, what He has been trying to tell us for some 2000 years, is that we should follow Him according to His life; because God has already become the standard...in the person of Jesus Christ. He is the ultimate Christian standard. "Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." (Mark 8:34) Make no mistake my friends, there are more Christians taking up their cross and following Christ, than just the ones you smile at sitting beside you in the pew.
Great post, ntn. I hope you don't mind if I borrow that last bit!

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 01-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
You gonna preach it tomorrow Sis?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
You gonna preach it tomorrow Sis?
LOL!!! NO! But I might quote it to my kids. They're my main congregation.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 01-23-2010, 03:29 PM
paladin for truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post

Freely given and freely received.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:53 PM
paladin for truth

Quote:
Well, we're a lot smarter than He is.
We know a lot more about living for God than Jesus did.
He was a glutton and a winebibber and a friend of sinners.

Unfortunately, as you have pointed out Sam, many are unable to connect how the reality of their beliefs line up with the life of Jesus Christ. For example, as you stated above, Jesus did, in fact, drink alcoholic wine. But some preachers today hold that if Christians so much as sip on some Reisling, they have effectively punched a first class ticket to Hell. It gets even scarier within some of the circles of Pentecost. Facial hair on men is a sign of pride or rebellion. Oops--Jesus wore a beard! Prohibition of jewelry, make-up and certain clothing. Oops--organizational rules and standards for fellowship/disfellowship, not proper Biblical exegesis. You must belong to a local assembly of believers. Oops--Jesus said where two or three are gathered...Of course, the list goes on...

I believe there are many honest Christians who aren't able to give critical thought to these subjects, and remain in the dark about the ideological struggle that exists. My prediction is this: Many more will continue to leave these oppressive environments that promote exclusivism and isolationism in their congregations. Those who defect may not fully understand why academically, but as my wife so adequately put it, "it's because they just don't treat people right."

Last edited by noeticknight; 01-23-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:

I had the same immediate thought, Sam.

And great points Sir Noe Tic.