Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Re: One In The Greek

Quote:
You basically have a form of binitarianism.

"Yah" is one being existing in two modes, Father and Son, one divine, one human.
Binitarian IMO would be 2 co eternal co equal God persons.

Quote:
The Father and Son are distinguished and interact as persons, yet both are Yah.
At least from the incarnation on. From that point the Son is YAH manifest in humanity.
Quote:
"Yah" is the more general or comprehensive name. So, in effect, the name "Yah" (or "Jesus" for those who call "him" that) is your equivalent of how Trinitarians use the name "God," which refers to all three divine persons united in one being or which can refer individually to each person. But instead of 3 divine persons united together in one being, "God," you have two, one divine one human, united as one being, "Yah."
I personally would reserve the name YAH to where "God" is used in the NT. I do of course believe Jesus is YAH or again YAH is Jesus come in the flesh. Anyway I have no problem believing in a two person relationship as long as its understood one is God one is man......but its both Jesus.

Quote:
Who has taught your form of modalism before? I had asked for book recommendations in an earlier post. I may have overlooked your response, but I'm very interested in the various ways Oneness believers have explained the Oneness of God.
If you mean Oneness doctrine, my old Charismatic turned Oneness Pastor taught it to me first. It was through his teaching on LOGOS in John 1:1 that I was able to fully transition from my Trinitarian view.

He told me later he had heard it taught by John Eckstat in the UPC. Eckstat never wrote any books. He made audio tapes. I was blessed to hear several magnificent ones. He taught at several Apostolic Colleges in the 70's and Pastored at least one Church in Cincinnati, Ohio. Last I know he was part of the Parkway Apostolic Church in Wisconsin and died in the 70's. His Son used to be an active member of this forum.

Elder Ross Drysdale of the PAW wrote IMO the best all around book on Oneness I ever saw.

IF YE KNOW THESE THINGS.

He laid out the doctrine of Logos/Angel of the Lord clearly.

Gordon Magee taught God had a visible form in the OT in his book Is Jesus In The Godhead Or Is The Godhead In Jesus.

There is a brother on Facebook Mark August who has written some good articles on the Logos featuring early Church beliefs and showing how the doctrine was lost over time.

There was a book out years ago by Pastor James Edding where he featured the "form" of God quite similar to what I believe.

Brother Irvin Baxter believes in the LOGOS/Angel doctrine. It is online in a teaching called understanding the Godhead. Unfortunately he spends only 5 minutes or so on it.

As to the "modalist" aspect of Oneness doctrine I have not seen any books on it. I have read some articles online about it. It is really just basic Oneness Christology. The dual nature doctrine.

I have expanded that somewhat in a short video I made called Explaining Modalism as concerning John 1:1 in OT times. I'm sure most would say its to simplistic.

The chief book for teaching Oneness doctrine in older times was by John Patterson GOD IN CHRIST JESUS. It is out of print. Used to have it, loaned it out. Gone.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:43 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Did we figure how many 1 equals?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Did we figure how many 1 equals?

Old 08-22-2019, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
If you mean Oneness doctrine, my old Charismatic turned Oneness Pastor taught it to me first. It was through his teaching on LOGOS in John 1:1 that I was able to fully transition from my Trinitarian view.

He told me later he had heard it taught by John Eckstat in the UPC. Eckstat never wrote any books. He made audio tapes. I was blessed to hear several magnificent ones. He taught at several Apostolic Colleges in the 70's and Pastored at least one Church in Cincinnati, Ohio. Last I know he was part of the Parkway Apostolic Church in Wisconsin and died in the 70's. His Son used to be an active member of this forum.

Elder Ross Drysdale of the PAW wrote IMO the best all around book on Oneness I ever saw.

IF YE KNOW THESE THINGS.

Gordon Magee taught God had a visible form in the OT in his book Is Jesus In The Godhead Or Is The Godhead In Jesus.

There is a brother on Facebook Mark August who has written some good articles on the Logos featuring early Church beliefs and showing how the doctrine was lost over time.

There was a book out years ago by Pastor James Edding where he featured the "form" of God quite similar to what I believe.

Brother Irvin Baxter believes in the LOGOS/Angel doctrine. It is online in a teaching called understanding the Godhead. Unfortunately he spends only 5 minutes or so on it.

As to the "modalist" aspect of Oneness doctrine I have not seen any books on it. I have read some articles online about it. It is really just basic Oneness Christology. The dual nature doctrine.

I have expanded that somewhat in a short video I made called Explaining Modalism as concerning John 1:1 in OT times. I'm sure most would say its to simplistic.

The chief book for teaching Oneness doctrine in older times was by John Patterson GOD IN CHRIST JESUS. It is out of print. Used to have it, loaned it out. Gone.
Thank you very much for these resources. Regarding the Magee book, do you know if this was the original edition or the current one published by Word Aflame Press? I had heard one time, I believe, that Magee's book was heavily edited by David Bernard while he was the associate editor of Word Aflame. I know someone who has Paterson's book, so I will check it out.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costeon View Post
Thank you very much for these resources. Regarding the Magee book, do you know if this was the original edition or the current one published by Word Aflame Press? I had heard one time, I believe, that Magee's book was heavily edited by David Bernard while he was the associate editor of Word Aflame. I know someone who has Paterson's book, so I will check it out.
I would like to know the editings. How much was edited, what changes were made.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Binitarian IMO would be 2 co eternal co equal God persons.

At least from the incarnation on. From that point the Son is YAH manifest in humanity.

I personally would reserve the name YAH to where "God" is used in the NT. I do of course believe Jesus is YAH or again YAH is Jesus come in the flesh. Anyway I have no problem believing in a two person relationship as long as its understood one is God one is man......but its both Jesus.

IF YE KNOW THESE THINGS.

Don't forget Michael Servetus' On the Errors of the Trinity! Best book I've read on the subject.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-22-2019, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

There are other books on the oneness of God. Most are out of print. One came in the post today. Frank Ewart wrote a book titled Jesus, Man and Mystery.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I would like to know the editings. How much was edited, what changes were made.
Found this: http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ad.php?t=30062. Check out the last post on the first page.

I'm pretty sure I read the book many years ago, and I don't recall it containing anything but the standard Oneness view that I had been familiar with (basically from David Bernard's books), so it seems like anything about Jesus being the visible form of God, the Logos, before the incarnation was removed.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Don't forget Michael Servetus' On the Errors of the Trinity! Best book I've read on the subject.
Is there an edition in print that you would recommend? Or did you perhaps read it online? If so, if you could share a link, I would appreciate it.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costeon View Post
It has no label or writing about Word Aflame Press. Neither any date. Just has what may be the authors PO Box in Pasedena, Texas. On pg 7 he writes a few sentences showing his belief God had a pre incarnate form.

Quote:
Phillipians 2:6 is helpful in this respect. Who being in the form of God thought it not robbery to be equal with God.
Or in other words before Jesus was born with his human nature He was the Divine visible equation of the invisible God. He was originally in the form of God and thought it not robbery to be equal with God, but he made himself of no reputation, He took upon him the form of a servant and was made in the likeness of men.

This being who prior to his visible birth was in the very form of God-the full equation in a majestic form of the invisible God-this being God, at his incarnation took upon him the likeness of men.
He simultaneously held to the mind/word theory or ''ideal" pre existing of Christ. Pg 29.