Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

From The Perspective of a Liberal

I thought this would be interesting to see how those that are liberal see the Apostolic movement in 2008. Please allow some liberal folks to answer before discussing what they say.

Where do you see the Apostolic movement (UPCI, ALJC, AMF, and the likes.) at this point?

What do you see as problems within it?

What are the strengths of todays movement?

Where do you think we are headed as a movement?

What is your advise to the generation that is to follow us.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post
I thought this would be interesting to see how those that are liberal see the Apostolic movement in 2008. Please allow some liberal folks to answer before discussing what they say.

Where do you see the Apostolic movement (UPCI, ALJC, AMF, and the likes.) at this point?
I see it at a transition to becoming more in tune with the modern American technology and culture.

Quote:
The movement as a whole is considered Ultra-con and even cultic by outsiders. The Oneness message is sometimes lost in their conservative outward holiness culture. The "different" look (for women) can turn some away from hearing the saving message of Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Annointed preaching and singing.

Quote:
Modernization.

Quote:
Keep the faith, and roll with it! Keep the main thing the main thing. Fight to preserve Apostolic truth, not to preserve a 1900s culture.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
I don't consider myself "liberal" by any means except when it comes to economic issues, I'm a Classical Liberal like Adam Smith. But this is where they lump me, so...
Quote:
The movement as a whole is absolutely clueless when it comes to evangelism and church growth. There are a few bright spots that give you some hope, but the rest is dross.
Quote:
A lack of education, too much rural superstition and delusional paranoia even about our own brethren.
Quote:
Heartfelt worship and an innocence that borders on naviete.
Quote:
Our evangelism doesn't even keep up with the overall population growth so we will always be a marginalized and poorly understood side bar to the bigger story of what God is doing in the lives of the people on this planet.
Quote:
Stay in school.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Ronzo

*sigh*
Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

[QUOTE=stmatthew;365600]I thought this would be interesting to see how those that are liberal see the Apostolic movement in 2008. Please allow some liberal folks to answer before discussing what they say.

Where do you see the Apostolic movement (UPCI, ALJC, AMF, and the likes.) at this point? Too much Sectarianism.
What do you see as problems within it? Groups all calling themselves the movement today. Kind of like 10 companies all using some 3rd party report to say they are number 1.
What are the strengths of todays movement? That men are stepping up in their local churches and doing the will of God. Not just subscribing to the pages of a manual....

Where do you think we are headed as a movement? The Lord is going to have an outpouring where we least expect it.

What is your advise to the generation that is to follow us. Write down the things of God in your generation. The generations before us and ours have done a dis-service by not writing more about the move of God in their lifetimes....
Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 PM
arbitrary subjective label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckstadt View Post
Write down the things of God in your generation. The generations before us and ours have done a dis-service by not writing more about the move of God in their lifetimes....
That's a great idea.

Despite today's rising cost of living, it remains popular.

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Sir Winston Churchill

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:

1. They still have a long way to go, but they are becoming the 20th Century church they should have been. Now they need to become the 21st Century church

2. Not yet modern enough to be the leader among mainstream Christianity. I agree with PM they disposition of womens dress still is a stand off point to some. The church world has looked at us for years and wanted our spirit and our song. They have it, but they have not caught up in extra Biblical beliefs. They also, IMO, need better out reach. Granted they are the largest oneness org out there. With the availablity to use media they might get going in the right direction.

3. The main strength is the openess to move in the spirit.

4. It depends on what happens in the '08 year. 8 is the number of new begginigs in the Bible hopefully the Apostolic Church, which tout themselves as a Bible Church, will make some leaps and catch up the other organizations out there. It seems to be heading toward God's direction and away from man direction.

5. Examine your beliefs from time to time. Make sure you are balanced. The Bible talks about balance, it is important. It is not easy to stand on one foot, nor is it easy for a stool to have one leg. Make sure your beliefs are solid in the word and not on mans ideals. Keep God's word supreme in your life. Once you questions its validity it is all down hil from there. Finally, use the past as a faoundation and God as the corner stone, but do not be affraid to build a great thing. Even if it is different, build it.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post
I see it at a transition to becoming more in tune with the modern American technology and culture.

The movement as a whole is considered Ultra-con and even cultic by outsiders. The Oneness message is sometimes lost in their conservative outward holiness culture. The "different" look (for women) can turn some away from hearing the saving message of Jesus Christ.

Annointed preaching and singing.

Modernization.

Keep the faith, and roll with it! Keep the main thing the main thing. Fight to preserve Apostolic truth, not to preserve a 1900s culture.

Ditto.

(Thanks Pianoperson for keeping me from having to type all that)
Old 01-23-2008, 08:37 PM
DOING THE FIRST WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Ditto.

(Thanks Pianoperson for keeping me from having to type all that)
PianoPERSON???

Are you saying that there may be some DOUBT?

hahaha...j/k PM. The devil made me say it...for sure. You know how that goes.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprehended View Post
PianoPERSON???

Are you saying that there may be some DOUBT?

hahaha...j/k PM. The devil made me say it...for sure. You know how that goes.
CC1's just jealous because he can't hang with me at golf!