Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:49 AM
samp

The Initial Physical Evidence

Are there any Pentecostals who do not believe that speaking in tongues is the inititial physical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

I do believe that the word bears out that tongues is often a physical evidence of receiving the Holy Ghost.

If you don't mind me asking.

Do you feel that the word demonstrates that tongues is absolutely the physical evidence required to be seen before it is known that one has received the Holy Ghost?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samp View Post
Are there any Pentecostals who do not believe that speaking in tongues is the inititial physical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit?
I do not think the ACOP believes in the initial evidence?????????? The Bethel folks from Evansville started teaching this in the early 50's it led them away from the Pentecostal movement.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:23 AM

There are a lot of folks that believe that.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:38 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
I do believe that the word bears out that tongues is often a physical evidence of receiving the Holy Ghost.If you don't mind me asking.

Do you feel that the word demonstrates that tongues is absolutely the physical evidence required to be seen before it is known that one has received the Holy Ghost?
This is how I see it - which would mean the Holy Ghost can dwell in you before you speak in tongues. Tongues is just the evidence.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:42 AM
samp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
I do not think the ACOP believes in the initial evidence?????????? The Bethel folks from Evansville started teaching this in the early 50's it led them away from the Pentecostal movement.
Who are the ACOP?

Digging4truth, my goal isn't to discuss whether there is or isn't an initial physical evidence. I'm just wondering if there is a significant portion of pentecostals who do not embrace the doctrine.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:59 AM
crakjak

Quote:
Is there any evidence that scripture places the same importance on "initial physical evidence" as do many Pentecostals? I have evidenced folks who spoke in tongues experience immediate and dramatic strength for a changed life.

I have evidenced the same drama in the lives of folks who "accepted" Jesus and immediately had startling strength for a changed life.

And have also observed both without any immediate change, at least observable.

So I really don't focus on "initial evidence", present the Word and let the Holy Spirit do what He does better than I could ever do, lead and guide into all truth. If they come to Jesus in faith they are in a great position.

An individual can be perfect at any stage in the process of moving into the "image of Jesus". You can yell at a plant, "Grow, you gotta GROW! But the plant will only grow as it is watered and nurtured and given lotsa time.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 03-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Who are the ACOP?

Digging4truth, my goal isn't to discuss whether there is or isn't an initial physical evidence. I'm just wondering if there is a significant portion of pentecostals who do not embrace the doctrine.
Apostolic Church of Pentecost, Small's group from Canada. TB is a member of this group. I do not think TB believes this however?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 AM
samp

Is TB someone on this forum?

Does anyone know any other Pentecostals who do not embrace the doctrine of initial physical evidence?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

I was taught that you do not have the holy spirit unless you have spoken in tongues. Anybody else?