Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I believe the Gospel of Jesus

Re: Tithing…Is it a command?

Jesus ministered under the old covenant. None of the law was ever a commandment for gentiles.

The guidelines for giving under the New Covenant is.... "as every man purposes in his own heart, not grudgingly, or of necessity: ..... cheerful (hilarious) giving." (II Cor 9:7)
Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

We could go to the NT early church form of giving by giving everthing for the furthance of the Gospel!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
(
If you are Abraham's seed you will also pay tithes just like he did!
We only read once where Abraham "paid" tithes, and that wasn't on his own crops and animals but was on the property of others which had been captured in battle.

As far as "doing the works of Abraham,'
he also practiced circumcision and animal sacrifices,
and on a couple of occasions practiced lying and deception.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock View Post
We could go to the NT early church form of giving by giving everthing for the furthance of the Gospel!
Yes that should work as a lot of people seem to have a problem with 10%. Sell all you have and give to the poor. Hallelujah!
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

I believe that alluding to "the giving of everything" for the furtherance of the Gospel as an established NT teaching is erroneous and not based in fact.

Actually this was never a command that we put forth but, instead, was something that some chose to do. As in the narrative of Annanias & Saphira they were informed that the land they sold was in their possession and they were not required to sell it or give the entirety to the church. Their sin was lying to the Holy Ghost.

This communal practice was, seemingly, most popular in the Jerusalem area and could very well have been part of the reason that church struggled financially.

It was, at most, a personal decision that was popular in very limited regions and was never an actual teaching of the church.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro-Larry View Post
Jesus ministered under the old covenant. None of the law was ever a commandment for gentiles.

The guidelines for giving under the New Covenant is.... "as every man purposes in his own heart, not grudgingly, or of necessity: ..... cheerful (hilarious) giving." (II Cor 9:7)
With all due respect the scripture you are quoting is in reference to offerings of which there is no set amount prescribed by the Word. It is an act of the heart.

This scripture has no reference at all to the tithe
Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividedThigh View Post
i personally believe the principle of tithing and practice it, i would not condemn someone else for not doing that, just pray for them, but then again i dont condemn people anyway, that is the devils job, i aint him, lol,dt
Would consider sending them to me?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Abraham tithed once prior to the Law. But we don't see Abraham "tithing". I'd be interested to see any evidence that Abraham tithed on more than this occasion.

Nevertheless, Abraham did tithe voluntarily on this occasion as he acknowledged the King of Salem's spiritual authority. It wasn't out of compulsion. No one told Abraham he would be lost if he didn't tithe. Abraham tithed as he purposed in his heart.

This is the same under the New Covenant. If a believer determines in their hearts to give 10%, I believe they will be blessed for it. The blessings will not always be monetary either. I know because my family has been tremendously blessed because of our faithfulness in giving. And there have been lean times. There were times when money didn't magically fall out of heaven, there were times when NO ONE helped us when we were in the most dire of financial problems. There were times when our pastor admonished us not to feel that we had to give, but to care for the needs of our family. He knew that once on our feet God would bless us beyond measure once more and that we would be able to give beyond what we were able to give before.

I don't believe tithing is a "magical" formula for wealth. I believe that teaching is witchcraft and caters to materialist religion. There are blessings in given, but not all are financial.
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (English Standard Version)
Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryseeker View Post
With all due respect the scripture you are quoting is in reference to offerings of which there is no set amount prescribed by the Word. It is an act of the heart.

This scripture has no reference at all to the tithe
But the love offering as purposed by an individual in their heart is the only offering the New Testament Church sees. We don't plunder widows houses. To require tithing from some would be equal to extortion.

Can we find a single verse commanding "Christians" who are part of the "Church" to tithe in the New Testament?

Jesus said,

Matthew 23:23
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

So at the very least, while under the Law (as they were in this text), they indeed should tithe...but not neglect justice, mercy, and faith. There are times when being just, merciful means one relieves a the burden of another. For example, our pastor allowed us to go a season without tithing to pay our bills and keep from loosing our home. That was showing mercy.

Tithing is important in many ways...but the most important things are justice, mercy, and faith.

The mark of the Pharisee was exemplified in that they practiced tithing to the nth degree...yet they were unmerciful. I think we've all known pastors and brethren who would command tithing without mercy for those who were overburdened in economic hard times.

Matthew 23:14
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

There is a time for tithing and giving. And there is also a time for being just and merciful.
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 (English Standard Version)
Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Christians should support their local church.
Perhaps this article will explain this topic.
http://precious-testimonies.com/exho...uldwetithe.htm