Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

Infilling of Holy Spirit in OT?

Could someone explain these verses in the OT? Was there an infilling of the Holy Spirit before Pentecost?

Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Isa 63:11 Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, [and] his people, [saying], Where [is] he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? where [is] he that put his holy Spirit within him?

Isa 63:12 That led [them] by the right hand of Moses with his glorious arm, dividing the water before them, to make himself an everlasting name?
Old 04-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Infilling of Holy Spirit in OT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Steinway View Post
Could someone explain these verses in the OT? Was there an infilling of the Holy Spirit before Pentecost?

Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Isa 63:11 Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, [and] his people, [saying], Where [is] he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? where [is] he that put his holy Spirit within him?

Isa 63:12 That led [them] by the right hand of Moses with his glorious arm, dividing the water before them, to make himself an everlasting name?
It was a prophetic anointing prophets, priests and kings had

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
It was a prophetic anointing prophets, priests and kings had
I'm interested in knowing how you came to that conclusion.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
I'm interested in knowing how you came to that conclusion.
Very easy...read the OT and look at the times it is mentioned someone is or has the Spirit of God....it was always prophets, priests and kings and Kings like King David prophesied

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

There are other verses also. And they all had a common sign then that the Spirit of God came into them just as we do today only they prophesied.

The 70 elders of Israel with Moses.

Numbers 11: And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.
John the Baptist and his mother.

Luke 1:13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. 14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. 15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

Luke 1:41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

Nehemiah 9:30Yet many years didst thou forbear them, and testifiedst against them by thy spirit in thy prophets: yet would they not give ear: therefore gavest thou them into the hand of the people of the lands.

1 Peter 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: 11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. 12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit was active in and upon people but most folks did not have a personal experience and personal realization of God being with/in them. There was a "special" class of people upon whom the Spirit came and released His gifts and anointing. Often the gift was prophecy as in the case of Saul (1 Samuel 10:6-10) or the elders in Exodus 11:16-30) but some times it was wisdom or miracles or special gifting as with Bezaleel in Exodus 35:30-35. The prophet Joel foretold a time when God would pour out His Spirit on "all" flesh and men, women, servants, and handmaidens would all prophesy (Joel 2:23-32). Not just a few people with special offices but the outpouring would be available universally. This began to be fulfilled in Jerusalem in AD 30 on the Day of Pentecost as described in Acts chapter 2. Peter quoted from Joel's prophecy to explain what was going on. What's neat about the New Testament is that the Holy Spirit's baptism, empowering, and releasing of gifts is available for ALL. And just as those who were filled with the Spirit in the Old Testament were used by God in signs, miracles, gifts, etc, now in the New Testament we can all be used that way through the Holy Ghost Baptism.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

It is my understanding that a word for prophesy in the Old Tesament is naba (naw-baw') which means to speak by inspiration or to bubble up. Just as in the Old Testament the Spirit coming upon one could cause them to "bubble up" and speak ecstatic words and do special works, in the New Testament the Spirit coming upon us can cause us to bubble up and speak ecstatic words in tongues and/or in prophecy and do special works.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
It is my understanding that a word for prophesy in the Old Tesament is naba (naw-baw') which means to speak by inspiration or to bubble up. Just as in the Old Testament the Spirit coming upon one could cause them to "bubble up" and speak ecstatic words and do special works, in the New Testament the Spirit coming upon us can cause us to bubble up and speak ecstatic words in tongues and/or in prophecy and do special works.
Exactly. The meanings are the same.

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

The Spirit of God was IN the prophets of the OT. Moses wished all of God's people were filled with the Spirit of God. His desire was to come true through Christ who he foreshadowed and typified.

IMO, only a small percentage of God's people in the OT were filled with the Holy Spirit, all who received the Spirit prophesied, and it was not a requirement for salvation.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
IMO, only a small percentage of God's people in the OT were filled with the Holy Spirit, all who received the Spirit prophesied, and it was not a requirement for salvation.
Exactly...

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message