Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-18-2008, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

Velvet Elvis

My daughter gave me two books by Rob Bell. The first one I'm reading is, "The Velvet Elvis". I'm an out of the box sort of fellow so his writings have appealed to me, so far. Now, I've never read a book yet that I couldn't find some fault with but overall, for you that have read it, what do you think? [ Think being a key word here. ]

Raven
Old 05-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: Velvet Elvis

I don't know about the book but my husband has an oil on velvet painting of Elvis. I will say if it should somehow be destroyed I would be HAPPY. It was a birthday present from one of our daughters. I do not now nor have I ever liked Elvis.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-18-2008, 06:21 AM
Registered Member

I have the book, but, haven't read it yet. My son, however, loves the book. Thinks it has some really good "thinking" points. He says that he writes a little bit like Donald Miller.

I like Donald Miller's books, but, not everyone would like him. He's out of the box as well. Since I've lived most of my life "out of the box" (trust me, for MY age...that's a FEAT") his writings appeal to me.

"Velvet Elvis" is one of books earmarked for me to read this summer while I'm on
"vacation". I'll let you know then! 'Cause I've to to paint and clean before my grandbabies get here to visit!!

Beth
Old 05-18-2008, 10:38 AM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
I don't know about the book but my husband has an oil on velvet painting of Elvis. I will say if it should somehow be destroyed I would be HAPPY. It was a birthday present from one of our daughters. I do not now nor have I ever liked Elvis.
Destroying the velvet elvis is exactly what Rob Bell is talking about in the book. It may be great art work, but today they are generally only found in the basement or the attic.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 AM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
My daughter gave me two books by Rob Bell. The first one I'm reading is, "The Velvet Elvis". I'm an out of the box sort of fellow so his writings have appealed to me, so far. Now, I've never read a book yet that I couldn't find some fault with but overall, for you that have read it, what do you think? [ Think being a key word here. ]

Raven
I enjoy Rob Bell's writing and short videos on line, he does inspire thought, unfortunately many in our culture do not want to think. Just let me be ignorant and comfortable. "He that has the Son is free, indeed..." Hello, friend, blessing to you and yours on this fine Sunday morning.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakjak View Post
Destroying the velvet elvis is exactly what Rob Bell is talking about in the book. It may be great art work, but today they are generally only found in the basement or the attic.
I wish, we have neither an attic or a basement.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey y'all have a burn barrel don't you? You need a picture of snowcap mountains and deer and bears. I'll see about getting y'all a replacement for Elvis.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnhisle View Post
Hey y'all have a burn barrel don't you? You need a picture of snowcap mountains and deer and bears. I'll see about getting y'all a replacement for Elvis.
Yes we do, but I still have to live with the man. ugh. And it so contrasts with our lovely musical painting with the piano and violin and that beautiful staircase.

I am still searching for the perfect tiger picture. Best one I have seen so far is only $2,000. What to do, what to do.............

Old 05-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
If you're done with the Velvet Elvis, I'll take it.........I need something to go on the living room wall next to the "Dogs Playing Poker".
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 05-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
If you're done with the Velvet Elvis, I'll take it.........I need something to go on the living room wall next to the "Dogs Playing Poker".

I really think my husband needs a den, it is hanging in our living room. UGH.
I avoid it as much as possible!