Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

What Is A "Charismatic?"

I see folks on AFF often make slurrying, derogatory remarks about Charismatics. What is a Charismatic? Are they all the same?

Are there any "good" Charismatics? Are any of them saved? Are they really filled with the Holy Spirit?

Granted there are Charismatics that I don't want to be connected with or to! But guess what; there are Pentecostals that I don't want to be associated with either! Apostolics that I do not want to be a part of! So what?

Are we being too judgmental when we lump all Charismatics together? Is our "brush" too big?

What's wrong with this definition?

char·is·mat·ic   [kar-iz-mat-ik]
–adjective
1. of, having, or characteristic of charisma.
2. characterizing Christians of various denominations who seek an ecstatic religious experience, sometimes including speaking in tongues and instantaneous healing.

What are we guilty of if we speak evil of any denomination that God approves of? Should it concern us how we speak about "others?" God fills them with the Holy Ghost and then we spend our time speaking evil of them! Will we stand in judgement for these actions?

Just....
Been Thinkin'

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM
mary

Re: What Is A "Charismatic?"

So, by this definition, are Pentecostals Charismatics, or are Charismatics just trying to act Pentecostal?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThinkin View Post
I see folks on AFF often make slurrying, derogatory remarks about Charismatics. What is a Charismatic? Are they all the same?

Are there any "good" Charismatics? Are any of them saved? Are they really filled with the Holy Spirit?

Granted there are Charismatics that I don't want to be connected with or to! But guess what; there are Pentecostals that I don't want to be associated with either! Apostolics that I do not want to be a part of! So what?

Are we being too judgmental when we lump all Charismatics together? Is our "brush" too big?

What's wrong with this definition?

char·is·mat·ic   [kar-iz-mat-ik]
–adjective
1. of, having, or characteristic of charisma.
2. characterizing Christians of various denominations who seek an ecstatic religious experience, sometimes including speaking in tongues and instantaneous healing.

What are we guilty of if we speak evil of any denomination that God approves of? Should it concern us how we speak about "others?" God fills them with the Holy Ghost and then we spend our time speaking evil of them! Will we stand in judgement for these actions?

Just....
Been Thinkin'
In general I do not use Charismatic in a disparaging fashion.

However, I cannot identify with this at all: "...who seek an ecstatic religious experience"

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
In general I do not use Charismatic in a disparaging fashion.

However, I cannot identify with this at all: "...who seek an ecstatic religious experience"

Why? Just wondering. Please explain so I can understand what you are saying. Thanks.

BT

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Not certain but I think a Charismatic looks like this......

Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
Not certain but I think a Charismatic looks like this......

Ha Ha. Very good!

BT

Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Well, we probably each have our little private interpretation of what Charismatic is.

This is from Merriam-Webster online

Main Entry: charismatic
Function: noun
Date: 1951

: a member of a religious group or movement that stresses the seeking of direct divine inspiration and charisms (as glossolalia or healing)

This is pretty much my understanding. A person is charismatic if he/she believes in the charismata or gifts of the Spirit. This would include just about anyone who was not a cessationist (one who believes the gifts of the Spirit were just temporary for the early church and have since passed away) and would include those of us who consider ourselves Apostolic or Pentecostal. To me the terms Apostolic, Pentecostal, and Charismatic are pretty much interchangeable.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Guess its all in the circle you run in...in my parts it is used to describe someone who is practicing on how to use the gifts of the spirit without actually relying on the spirit...not a compliment at all.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Charismatic:

Todd Bentley
Toronto Blessing
Brownsville
Pulpits splitting
TBN
Rodney Howard Brown

A charismatic is someone I'm not!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notofworks View Post
Charismatic:

Todd Bentley
Toronto Blessing
Brownsville
Pulpits splitting
TBN
Rodney Howard Brown

A charismatic is someone I'm not!

I don't necessarily disagree. Just explain the things that turn you off or what about these examples above that make you "not a Charismatic."

BT