Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Re: Soups

Minestrone:

cook 3-4 hrs.
1 cup dried kidney or white beans
2 cups brown stock (beef bouillon)
6 cups water

Next:
Saute in 2tbl. oilve oil:

1 lg oinion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 large carrots, finely diced
3 stalks celery with leaves, diced
1 cup diced raw potatoe

Add sauteed veg. to beans in pot, cover, cook slowly, stirring often.
Add one cup cooked macaroni (that's 1/2 cup raw)
1 tbl. salt (sea salt has less sodium)
1/4 tsp. pepper.
1 cup tomatoe sauce or one can chopped tomoatoes and juice.
Simmer 15 minutes
Old 12-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Not riding the train

I was trying to locate an excellent recipe for this soup and this is just what I was looking for.

Split Pea Soup with Ham

Ingredients:

* 1 ham bone with a chunk of ham attached
* 4 cups of split peas
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* filtered water
* 1 onion, chopped (or 2 Tablespoons dried onion flakes)
* 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
* 2 carrots cut in half circles
* 2 stalks celery chopped
* 2 Tablespoons butter or ghee
* 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Preparation:

1. Cover the split peas with water and add the baking soda, stir to dissolve. Soak the split peas for at least 7 hours or up to 24 hours. Drain the split peas and rinse them thoroughly.
2. A couple hours before the split peas will be ready (completely soaked), take a 7 quart cast iron dutch oven or stock pot, add the ham bone and cover with filtered water. Simmer and make the ‘stock’ prior to the lentils being ready. Skim off any foam that rises to the top.
3. Once the ham bone has cooked in the water for a couple hours, take out the bone and cut off any ham chunks that you can get off. Let them cool then cut the ham into bite sized pieces. Reserve in a bowl to be added to the finished soup later.
4. Once lentils are drained and rinsed and stocked has been skimmed at least once and the ham bone has the ham cut off, add the split peas to the pot with the ham bone. Let cook for at least 4 hours, or until all of the split peas are completely dissolved and the soup is smooth.
5. For the lazy and easy method of finishing the soup. Remove ham bone, add dried onion flakes, garlic powder and Tabasco (if using). Stir in reserved ham pieces. Let the ham warm up a few minutes, and the soup is ready to serve.
6. For the fresh veggie harder method of finishing the soup. In a separate cast iron skillet saute the onions, carrots and celery in the butter or ghee until soft. Remove ham bone from the pot. Add the vegetables, the reserved ham pieces, and the Tabasco sauce, if using. Let the soup warm up a few minutes, and the soup is ready to serve.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
I made this last night... it has been a family favorite for years. So good.

1 whole chicken
1 link sausage (real sausage... not that Eckrich junk)
2 bunches green onions
2 bay leaves
Add pepper flakes to taste (I usually add 8-10-12 somewhere around there.
Roux (make it yourself or buy it in a jar.. there is really no difference. I highly suggest the jar. I buy dark ruex when I buy the jar.
Cooked rice

Boil the chicken in water with the green onions, bay leaves & pepper flakes added.
Keep the water you boiled the chicken in and let the chicken cool.
Cut the link of sausage in half lengthwise.
Cut the halves in half again lengthwise (the sausage is now cut in 1/4's lengthwise.
Cut those pieces in 1/4" pieces and boil the sausage for a few minutes until cooked.
Debone the cooled chicken breacking the chicken up into relatively small pieces that will fit on someones spoon.
Put the deboned chicken meat back in the water you boiled the chicken in.
Add the sausage to the same water.
You can discard the water you boiled the sausage in or you can add some to the gumbo for some additional taste.

Add ruex until you get a good darkness to the liquid and taste it as you add it. The more ruex the darker the water AND the darker the taste. If you buy a jar of ruex then it will require almost 1/2 jar.

Fix a bowl of rice
Spoon the gumbo over the rice
Add some gumbo file' is you so desire (i like to add it)

Enjoy.

One last note. I have always spelled the term Ruex as Rue. I see on the internet it is often spelled Rue. When you buy it around here it is Ruex on the bottle (but I live in Louisiana so it probably isn't spelled that way elsewhere)

In case any of you aren't familiar with Ruex...Ruex is made of equal portions oil & flour. You heat the ruex mix constantly stirring it until it gets to a desired darkness.
Man am I glad I entered this in here because I can't find my recipe and this what I'm making tonight.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

*()&&*^%$#%$^$^&*&%%^$$#!!!!!! (can I be banned for that?)

Just read this thread, and now I want Lobster Bisque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 12-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
*()&&*^%$#%$^$^&*&%%^$$#!!!!!! (can I be banned for that?)

Just read this thread, and now I want Lobster Bisque!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you should be banned for wanting Lobster Bisque! ICK!!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

I made a new soup for supper tonight. It's surprisingly good Those who have gardens will like this for sure......

BUTTERNUT AND ACORN SQUASH SOUP

1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
3 T. butter
1 large sweet onion
1 quart chicken broth (get a good quality)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1/2 t. black pepper (or to taste)
ground cinnamon to taste
nutmeg to taste
salt to taste
fresh parsley

preheat oven to 350 degrees. place the squash, cut side down in a baking dish. Bake about 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and cool till you can handle. Scoop the pulp from the skins. Discard skins.

melt the butter in a stock pot, throw the onions and cook until tender.

In a blender or food processor, blend the squash, onion, chicken broth, brown sugar, cream cheese, pepper, salt and other seasonings until smooth. You will probably need to do this in batches. That's ok

Transfer the soup to a pot over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally until completely heated thru, making sure the cream cheese gets totally melted. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Not riding the train

Looks good, Margie. I've never made this type of soup.