Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Banned

Strange New Scientific Theory:

Scientists have studied the material world for centuries, and perhaps millennia, trying to understand the nature of matter and the natural processes of the universe and our planet. However, the one thing that has nearly always left them without explanation is the existence of consciousness. In the most recent centuries scientists have held that consciousness is a by product of complex biological systems such as human beings and some rather complex and advance animal life. Being a byproduct, it is viewed as merely a neurochemical induced state of awareness to increase an organism's chances for survival and reproduction. But this answer has proven time and time again not to be sufficient to explain the deeper aspects of consciousness such as self-awareness, relative awareness, emotion, intuition (gut feeling), etc. As a result, the origins and mechanics of the reality of consciousness has been beyond the scope of materialist scientific theory.

However, after discovering the mind bending world of quantum physics and how consciousness actually interfaces with the material world on a sub-atomic level, new theories have been being put forward. One such theory is known as "panpsychism". In the beginning it was merely theory offered on the fringe of the scientific community. However, the theory is becoming more and more mainstream. Panpsychism proposes that "consciousness" is an inherent natural aspect of the universe itself. And so, at the most basic level, consciousness itself pervades the known cosmos, only being outwardly manifest at higher levels in complex organisms. As a result conscious potential exists in all things at all levels and becomes a singularity of vantage point in complex beings. And so, according to this theory, atoms, rocks, trees, mountains, planets, and even stars have some level of consciousness. Here is a quote from this article where physicist Gregory Matloff expounds a little on his take of this theory:
"Gregory Matloff’s ideas are shocking. The veteran physicist at New York City College of Technology recently published a paper arguing that humans may be like the rest of the universe in substance and in spirit. A 'proto-consciousness field' could extend through all of space, he argues. Stars may be thinking entities that deliberately control their paths. Put more bluntly, the entire cosmos may be self-aware."
https://futurism.com/could-universe-conscious/
It appears that the deeper scientists peer into the nature of reality, the stranger and stranger things become until science itself begins to sound more metaphysical/spiritual. In the end, clearly all things point to their being a God. Science cannot ever escape this. However, now they are considering the possibility of existential conscious realities existing in rocks, trees, mountains, and even stars... each a part of a single "proto-consciousness field". It sounds more like the old idea of a "cosmic consciousness" to me. But it differs in that it is viewed as an inherent property in the physical universe's nature.

Here's my issue. If something like this were true... would not the Bible state or imply such?

What are your thoughts on this strange theory and how it compares to biblical truth?
Old 08-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Re: Strange New Scientific Theory:

Luke 19:40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Luke 19:40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
No-way. Interesting...
Job 38:7
When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Isaiah 55:12
For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Psalm 147:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names.

Matthew 3:9
And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
LOL

This would mean that the Bible was well ahead of quantum physics and panpsychism by thousands of years. LOL
Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 AM
Covenant Apostolic

it has long been noted that quantum theory and Hinduism can be seen as being related.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mysticism
Old 08-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
it has long been noted that quantum theory and Hinduism can be seen as being related.

I know. It's strange.

Hinduism is a strange animal. It seems to be polytheistic... but every deva is a manifestation of Brahman, the ultimate reality, so it shifts to being monotheistic. While the more simple Hindu believer regards their "gods" as personal entities, Hinduism also allows for their sacred stories to be regarded as spiritualized allegories of a sacred science. I had once read an article wherein a guru stated that Hindu practice, the primarily the mantras, focus on vibration, vibration that is believed to effect the natural world, seeing that everything at its sub-atomic level is a positive, negative, or neutral vibrational charge. And so, the ancient yogis explored how these mantric vibrations effected the body, level by level, and that understanding this process is more important than assigning theological definitions.

I remember back when I was in church, we'd have prayer meetings. And although I didn't know it was like a mantra at the time, me and many others would sit quietly repeating in lower tones, "Halleluiah, I love you Jesus", or just the name, "Jesus", over and over and over. I remember how the focus on God would clear my thoughts, and how the mere vibration of saying these things over and over seemed to sooth and calm my mind. It was like the vibrations produced by speaking these things resonated through my skull and massaged my brain. lol

Last edited by Aquila; 08-10-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post

You mentioned quantum theory. The double slit experiment always baffles me. Here are two videos on it. The first is really basic and explains what they find on the quantum level. The second is more in depth. This is just the tip of the iceberg. It's freaky stuff. And this isn't even delving into quantum entanglement.

Last edited by Aquila; 08-10-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Banned

When discussing quantum mechanics and how multi-dimensional realities perceive and interact with one another, it nearly explains how and why a spiritual being, like God, can be everywhere at once, perceive all things at once, and even how and why His interactions in our world are so mysterious. This is freaky when depicted through animation... science is on the very edge of scientifically demonstrating how spiritual realities transcend the natural world... this is freaky stuff.