Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Not riding the train

That was good, Tina!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator

I got this in my email a while back, and never had a reason to try this until last night. Michael had a horrible cough that was caused by his allergies/sinus drainage in the back of his throat. I tried this for him, and it WORKED. Not only did it take care of the cough last night, but he hasn't had any more sinus drainage today due to his allergies. I think it just cleared it all up completely!!

So now, I'm sharing. Hope it works as well for anyone else that needs to use it.

Here's the email I received-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vicks Vaporub?

WOW!!
I was raised and raised my kids with Vicks..how come I
never knew this..can't wait for my next cough...amazing!!!!??

READ IT ALL
a believer in Vicks Vaporub!

Sorry, no graphic for this one, and don't laugh, it
works 100% of the time although the scientists at the Canada
Research council (who discovered it) aren't sure why.

To stop nighttime coughing in a child (or adult as we found out
personally), put Vicks Vaporub generously on the bottom of the feet
at bedtime, then cover with socks.

Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stopin about 5 minutes
and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief.?
Works 100% of the time and is more effective in
children than even very strong prescription cough medicines.??

In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will
sleep soundly.?

I heard the head of the Canada Research Council describe these
findings on the part of their scientists when they were investigating
the effectiveness and usage of prescription cough medicines in children
as compared to alternative therapies like accupressure.

Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good due to the chemical makeup of these strong drugs so, I listened.

It was a surprising finding and found to be more effective than
prescribed medicines for children at bedtime, and in
addition, to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who
then went on to sleep soundly.

My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and
persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%!
She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes and believe me, this was a deep, ( incredibly
annoying!) every few seconds uncontrollable cough, and she slept cough free
for hours every night that she used it.

So, if you have Children or Grandchildren, pass it on, if you end up sick,
try it yourself and you will be absolutely amazed by the effect.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Old 07-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Old 07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Politically incorrect.................but FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Someone Who Understands
This devotional was written by Jim Liebelt

Therefore, it was necessary for Jesus to be in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God. He then could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people. Since he himself has gone through suffering and temptation, he is able to help us when we are being tempted.—Hebrews 2:17-18 NLT

The story (author unknown) is told of a farmer who had some puppies he needed to sell. He made a sign advertising the pups and posted it in his yard. Shortly after, a boy showed up in response to the sign. “Mister,” he said, “I want to buy one of your puppies.” “Well,” said the farmer, “these puppies cost a good deal of money.” The boy reached deep into his pocket, he pulled out a handful of change and held it up to the farmer. “I've got thirty-nine cents. Is that enough to take a look?” “Sure,” said the farmer. The farmer whistled and called,”Here Dolly!” From the doghouse and down the ramp ran Dolly followed by four little pups. The little boy’s eyes danced with delight. As the dogs approached, the little boy noticed something else stirring inside the doghouse. Slowly another little pup appeared, but this one was considerably smaller. The little pup began hobbling toward the others, doing its best to catch up. “I want that one,” the little boy said, pointing to the runt. The farmer knelt down at the boy's side and said, “Son, you don't want that puppy. He will never be able to run and play with you like these other dogs would.” The little boy stepped back from the fence, reached down, and rolled up one leg of his pants revealing a steel brace running down both sides of his leg. Looking back up at the farmer, he said, "Mister, I don't run too well myself, and that puppy needs someone who understands.”

Not one of us is perfect. Everyone has flaws and weaknesses. Some are more visible than others, but we all have them. Fortunately, like the boy who chooses the pup, we have a Savior who knows and understands our feelings and our weaknesses and still chooses us to be His friends and children! And, in response, he wants us to demonstrate our love to one another!

If you are one who struggles with your own flaws and shortcomings, today, take comfort in the knowledge of God’s love for you and then, share that love with someone else! Remember, the world is full of hurting people that are looking to connect with others who understand.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

God Does His Best work in Caves
This devotional was written by Robin Dugall

David left Gath and escaped to the cave of Adullam—
1 Samuel 22:1

Discouragement is a common emotion to us and is one of the great enemies of the Christ-following experience. It is an enemy of personal drive and vision. It is a cancer that will pull enthusiasm and joy right out of you. But it is also a test, because how you respond to discouragement when things are not going well is one of the most important challenges that you will ever face as a person who loves and follows Jesus.

During the reign of King Saul, a prophet of God, Samuel, anointed young David as king. Even before he served as king, the people of the kingdom immediately fell in love with David. Everything he touched turned to gold. He was victorious over one of Israel’s most feared enemies, Goliath. When King Saul struggled with emotional issues, David was there to comfort him. If there was ever a guy who was on a roll, it was David. It appeared that nothing could go wrong for him. Then, one by one, the tables turned. Look over this litany of loss on David’s part:

He lost his job. He went from shepherd boy to acclaimed warrior to fugitive.
He lost his popularity, status and income.
He lost his wife when King Saul gave her to another man.
He lost his mentor when Samuel died.
He lost his best friend Jonathan.
He lost his home. The Bible tells us that he eventually ran to Gath, the land of Israel’s enemies.
After all that David went through, he ended up in the cave of Adullam. He expected a palace but got a cave! Devastating!

Does a cave sound like a place you’ve visited before? The Cave is where you go when all the props, crutches, and all that hold you up gives way; when suddenly, things don’t work out as you’ve envisioned. Maybe you’ve lost a job, financial security, spouse, dream of family life, mentor, friend or health. We’ve all been there. The truth is, sooner or later, everybody logs some serious time in The Cave.

But, The Cave is where God does some of His best work. God molds and shapes us in The Cave like nowhere else. When you end up in The Cave, I encourage you to welcome it. Why? Because when all you’ve got is God, you quickly come to the realization, that He is enough. Mother Teresa once said, “You’ll never know Jesus is all you need, until Jesus is all you’ve got.” He is able to transform discouragement into encouragement. He transforms fear into confidence. He is able to bring new life out of the most desperate of circumstances. Are you in The Cave? Look for Jesus!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Paul Harvey Writes:
We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse. For my grandchildren, I'd like better.

I'd really like for them to know about hand me down clothes and homemade ice cream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches. I really would.

I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated.

I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car.
And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.

It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your old dog put to sleep.

I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in.

I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother/sister. And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room,but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's scared, I hope you let him.

When you want to see a movie and your little brother/sister wants to tag along, I hope you'll let him/her.

I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely.

On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your Mom.

If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.

I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.

When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.

I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a boy/girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.

I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it.. And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend.

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Grandma/Grandpa and go fishing with your Uncle.

May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays.

I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through your neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Hannukah/Christmas time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness. To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Administrator

The Rain~Thomas Kinkade

One rainy afternoon I was driving along one of the main streets of town, taking those extra precautions necessary when the roads are wet and slick.

Suddenly my daughter, Aspen, spoke up from her relaxed position in her seat. "Dad, I'm thinking of something."

This announcement usually meant she had been pondering some fact for a while, and was now ready to expound all that her six-year-old mind had discovered. I was eager to hear.

"What are you thinking?" I asked.

"The rain!" she began, "is like sin, and the windshield wipers are like God wiping our sins away."

After the chill bumps raced up my arms I was able to respond. "That's really good, Aspen."

Then my curiosity broke in. How far would this little girl take this revelation? So I asked...
"Do you notice how the rain keeps on coming? What does that tell you?"

Aspen didn't hesitate one moment with her answer:
"We keep on sinning, and God just keeps on forgiving us."

I will always remember this whenever I turn my wipers on.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

One Flaw In Women

Women have strengths that amaze men.

They bear hardships and they carry burdens,
but they hold happiness, love and joy.

They smile when they want to scream.

They sing when they want to cry.

They cry when they are happy
and laugh when they are nervous.

They fight for what they believe in.
They stand up to injustice.

They don't take "no" for an answer
when they believe there is a better solution.

They go without so their family can have.

They go to the doctor with a frightened friend.

They love unconditionally.

They cry when their children excel
and cheer when their friends get awards.

They are happy when they hear about
a birth or a wedding.

Their hearts break when a friend dies.

They grieve at the loss of a family member,
yet they are strong when they
think there is no strength left.

They know that a hug and a kiss
can heal a broken heart.

Women come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

They'll drive, fly, walk, run or e-mail you
to show how much they care about you.

The heart of a woman is what makes the world keep turning.

They bring joy, hope and love.

They have the compassion and ideas.

They give moral support to their
family and friends.

Women have vital things to say
and everything to give.

HOWEVER, IF THERE IS ONE FLAW IN WOMEN,
IT IS THAT THEY FORGET THEIR WORTH.