Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Qualifications for License

I recently asked a group of 8 young ministers preparing to go before the board to get their ministerial license, how many of them were currently teaching home bible studies or doing some form of outreach? None of them were teaching bible studies or actively involved in outreach. Why on Earth would they be qualified to stand behind a pulpit and preach the Word of God if they are not living a Godly lifestyle?

I'm afraid we are way too into licensing young men for the fame of holding the microphone and we are leading people away from Jesus and leading them towards religion. We are quick to preach standards and slow to preach love. We need to get back to operating the way Jesus and the apostles did; willing to sacrifice our own desires and wants for the needs of someone else.

People are coming into our churches for help and we are sending them down to the food pantry that we send $50 a month to? My God help us....While reading the Bible last night I began to weep with conviction about ignoring the needs of others. We should be known for our love to one another and I have to say; Apostolic's aren't know for love. The Baptist Church down the road just came by Saturday and washed my car along with my neighbors cars, just to spread the love of Jesus.

I know this was scattered, but I just wanted to encourage someone else today go out and let your light shine. I don't care if im the only one in my church giving attention to the needs of the single mothers and poor thag visit us every week, I'm going to do it.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Re: Qualifications for License

Start a food pantry or other social work. It is not enough to be grieved about what others are not doing when we are only responsible for our own works of righteousness.

Yes, religion is death to all that follow, but I am not able to make a difference in the religious. I learned long ago towalk away from religion and walk into relationship with Jesus.

Also remember that Jesus said, "The poor you have with you always". You can give yourself to death and not change one thing about those who want a handout. There are those who really need help, those that are qualified, ie the widows and fatherless, the ones who are in their situation through a catastrophe or other event that is no fault of their own. Able bodied people who are lazy though, they can get hungry until they are ready to work.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

I agree with that. In my new job it has been an eye opener because a lot of people I had wrote off for being lazy were actually hurting so much on the inside from people that had wronged them. One gentleman was in a deep depression ( you wouldn't know that just looking at him) because his wife cheated on him and left. He ended up losing his job and being homeless and just didn't have any motivation to do anything. All he needed was someone to come along and tell him they loved him and cared about him and buy him a meal. That was enough for this man to realize that life isn't over.

My point is, you never know who you're feeding or helping. We may not think they deserve it...but do we really deserve everything we have either?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry72 View Post
I agree with that. In my new job it has been an eye opener because a lot of people I had wrote off for being lazy were actually hurting so much on the inside from people that had wronged them. One gentleman was in a deep depression ( you wouldn't know that just looking at him) because his wife cheated on him and left. He ended up losing his job and being homeless and just didn't have any motivation to do anything. All he needed was someone to come along and tell him they loved him and cared about him and buy him a meal. That was enough for this man to realize that life isn't over.

My point is, you never know who you're feeding or helping. We may not think they deserve it...but do we really deserve everything we have either?
Ahhhhh. that is another point altogether.

A spiritual problem, depression, is only to be taken care of with spiritual means. ie deliverance. This is something that the orgs are not teaching the young men to do at all. They have fallen into the trap that everything is physical.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

The bible is the only license you need to preach the word. Also, I know some churches who say you cant be on the platform for anything, music included, if you havent won at least one person to Christ. Thats a platform standard that I can get behind. O and BTW thats from a quote unquote liberal UPC preacher.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry72 View Post

One of the best posts I've ever read. Amen and Amen.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:17 AM
Banned

I have ceased my focus on a license. Seemed that's all young men wanted back in the churches I attended. Today... I'm a radical house churching, street preaching, tongue talking, devil stomping, Bible teaching, elect saint of God.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:18 AM
Banned

In the Bible... the majority of "sermons" were preached outside to large groups... often in public places. In the NT, we see the church gathering for fellowship in houses more times than not. They hadn't become infatuated with buildings and all that yet. Most had broken away from Judaism, with it's inordinate focus on the religious elite, mandated Sabbaths, the temple, sacrifices, and legalistic forms of worship. They now reveled in their freedom. They were indeed spiritually... free.

Last edited by Aquila; 05-08-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I have ceased my focus on a license. Seemed that's all young men wanted back in the churches I attended. Today... I'm a radical house churching, street preaching, tongue talking, devil stomping, Bible teaching, elect saint of God.
a license simply means that you are willing to toe some theological line, despite what the Bible may say. Most false prophets have a license with this or that denomination.

the threat of losing the preaching license is what keeps many in false doctrine and heresy.

the threat of losing the preaching license is what keeps many UPCI preachers preaching things they not longer believe in.

The prophets of God did not go to the religious leaders of Jerusalem and asked permission to prophecy.

At one time I was ordained, but I am not longer ordained nor seek to be ordained, either people believe I am a man of God or I am not.
A license will not make me a true preacher or a false preacher.

Either I am a true preacher of the truth or I am not.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Banned

Amen.