Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 02-10-2007, 05:28 AM
*sigh*

Windows Vista

So who's using it?

I upgraded the day it came out. (i had bought a Vista capable PC a couple of weeks prior)

I generally don't go for pretty when it comes to the desktop but I like it. I had run the beta on my laptop but had driver issues with sound.

Driver issues are the biggest issue. Don't upgrade unless you verify hardware compatibility, there is almost no driver support for hardware more than 6 months old. Some things like sound cards may work by accident, but don't count on it.

It asks for a GB of RAM, when it really wants 2 GB, with 2 it rocks, and so do applications such as photoshop and illustrator.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Ronzo

I'm in the market for a new notebook to do video editing on, and I'm sure by the time I have the ability to get one, Vista will be 'standard' on most everything.

I don't think I'm going to be interested in all the fancy graphic tricks that its capable of though.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm going to go PC or Mac this time.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Honorary Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Atkinson View Post
So who's using it?

I upgraded the day it came out. (i had bought a Vista capable PC a couple of weeks prior)

I generally don't go for pretty when it comes to the desktop but I like it. I had run the beta on my laptop but had driver issues with sound.

Driver issues are the biggest issue. Don't upgrade unless you verify hardware compatibility, there is almost no driver support for hardware more than 6 months old. Some things like sound cards may work by accident, but don't count on it.

It asks for a GB of RAM, when it really wants 2 GB, with 2 it rocks, and so do applications such as photoshop and illustrator.

I haven't "bit" yet. I had the Beta for months but was afraid to install it due to driver issues. I didn't want to lose the ability to sync my Treo with Outlook, which is what happened when I went to the XP Beta. I have a Dell w/ 2gb ram, 256mb video and a 1.6 Core Duo processor, so I'm pretty confident that I won't have any problems with Vista.

I have just been waiting to hear the reports from other users first. I can usually get around whatever MS throws at my laptop eventually, but I just hate the hours it normally takes to fix it. I am getting Office 2007 Pro for free just for attending a Vista kick-off even in Detroit nest week, so if I get a coupon for Vista, I just may jump.

Thanks for the info!!!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 AM
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfWord View Post
I haven't "bit" yet. I had the Beta for months but was afraid to install it due to driver issues. I didn't want to lose the ability to sync my Treo with Outlook, which is what happened when I went to the XP Beta. I have a Dell w/ 2gb ram, 256mb video and a 1.6 Core Duo processor, so I'm pretty confident that I won't have any problems with Vista.

I have just been waiting to hear the reports from other users first. I can usually get around whatever MS throws at my laptop eventually, but I just hate the hours it normally takes to fix it. I am getting Office 2007 Pro for free just for attending a Vista kick-off even in Detroit nest week, so if I get a coupon for Vista, I just may jump.

Thanks for the info!!!!!
Rofl, I am doing the kick off in Hartford on the 22nd for the free office 2007. Developer track. I used the office 2007 beta as well. Major usability enhancements.

I guess FrontPage is dead, they have a new thing.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Ronzo

Have you messed with Sharepoint at all? I believe that has taken on many of the functions of Frontpage.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Honorary Admin

Quote:
Rofl, I am doing the kick off in Hartford on the 22nd for the free office 2007. Developer track. I used the office 2007 beta as well. Major usability enhancements.

Ha! Amazing! I'm taking the Technology Decision Maker track. I have been to a few MS events before and got free stuff. I figure if I keep going and keep getting free stuff I'll keep getting invitations.

I think their new Web software is "Expressions." I use Flash Studio 8 & DreamWeaver for our church web site. I used to use FrontPage.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Two Videos to see before getting Windows Vista!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Y_Jp6PxsSQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LxQm3IsSKAo
Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
So who's using it?

Remindes me of XP...they said you needed 256 but everyone know 512 was minimum and a full GB was better....so now if I upgrade Im gonna need to upgrade my ram too?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:

Yes...it's actually a great web designer and some say it might give dreamweaver a run for it's money. It's full CSS based. I like it. I have the beta
Old 02-12-2007, 09:29 AM
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfWord View Post
Ha! Amazing! I'm taking the Technology Decision Maker track. I have been to a few MS events before and got free stuff. I figure if I keep going and keep getting free stuff I'll keep getting invitations.

I think their new Web software is "Expressions." I use Flash Studio 8 & DreamWeaver for our church web site. I used to use FrontPage.
Yes, expressions. Seems like they have an expression for different aspects of design. I have been using dreamweaver since 3.0, not likely to change, however, the beta is free so I may try it for giggles.