Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Words that bring healing...

I've been reading a book suggested to me by Abi on GNC, The Five Love Languages of Children...very good book.

One of the chapters is Words of Affirmation. We all need it from time to time. I have been blessed to be on the receiving end of affirmation more times than I can mention by people who truly care, and it means so much...which is why I try to extend it as often as I can.

The author writes, "The word encourage means 'to instill courage.' We are seeking to give children the courage to attempt more. To a young child, almost every experience is new. Learning to walk, to talk, or ride a bicycle requires constant courage. By our words, we either encourage or discourage the child's efforts."

Anyway, as I was driving today, I remembered this book and thought how true this is with adults as well and about the words which bring healing...

** I love you ** You are important to me ** Thank you ** Please ** What can I do for YOU? ** Here, let me help you or do that for you ** It's okay ** We're gonna get through this ** You can depend on me ** That was a good job ** I appreciate you ** I see your point ** Let me tell you what a good husband, wife, child, parent, or friend you are to me ** You look so nice today ** That color is perfect for you ** I am proud of you **I forgive you ** I am sorry ** Please forgive me ** You are right ** I was wrong ** I respect you ** It's okay to try again** I trust you** I believe in you **

Not only will these words bring healing, but try them out on a stranger and see if the word is not manifested, A soft (gentle) answer turns away wrath.

This is a brand new day to bring healing, restoration, and reconciliation...these words will build a bridge that cannot be destroyed!!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
I've been reading a book suggested to me by Abi on GNC, The Five Love Languages of Children...very good book.

One of the chapters is Words of Affirmation. We all need it from time to time. I have been blessed to be on the receiving end of affirmation more times than I can mention by people who truly care, and it means so much...which is why I try to extend it as often as I can.

The author writes, "The word encourage means 'to instill courage.' We are seeking to give children the courage to attempt more. To a young child, almost every experience is new. Learning to walk, to talk, or ride a bicycle requires constant courage. By our words, we either encourage or discourage the child's efforts."

Anyway, as I was driving today, I remembered this book and thought how true this is with adults as well and about the words which bring healing...

** I love you ** You are important to me ** Thank you ** Please ** What can I do for YOU? ** Here, let me help you or do that for you ** It's okay ** We're gonna get through this ** You can depend on me ** That was a good job ** I appreciate you ** I see your point ** Let me tell you what a good husband, wife, child, parent, or friend you are to me ** You look so nice today ** That color is perfect for you ** I am proud of you **I forgive you ** I am sorry ** Please forgive me ** You are right ** I was wrong ** I respect you ** It's okay to try again** I trust you** I believe in you **

Not only will these words bring healing, but try them out on a stranger and see if the word is not manifested, A soft (gentle) answer turns away wrath.

This is a brand new day to bring healing, restoration, and reconciliation...these words will build a bridge that cannot be destroyed!!
You know,Barb...not everyone appreciates when you affirm your love this way...My husband and I have always tried to encourage our children, and now our granddaughter, with encouraging words. No matter how dreadful their mistake, or how wrong a choice that they made WAS- they always knew that our love and affirmation was still there.

We have been accused of 'petting' their spirits, and 'winking at their wrong-doing'. But, this is NOT the case. We just love them, unconditionally, even when they err. I have made many mistakes in my lifetime, but I am so happy to know that my husband STILL loves and encourages me, in spite of my faults.

Love works, folks.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollyHis View Post
You know,Barb...not everyone appreciates when you affirm your love this way...My husband and I have always tried to encourage our children, and now our granddaughter, with encouraging words. No matter how dreadful their mistake, or how wrong a choice that they made WAS- they always knew that our love and affirmation was still there.

We have been accused of 'petting' their spirits, and 'winking at their wrong-doing'. But, this is NOT the case. We just love them, unconditionally, even when they err. I have made many mistakes in my lifetime, but I am so happy to know that my husband STILL loves and encourages me, in spite of my faults.

Love works, folks.
Love cannot and should excuse sin or wrong doing...heaven forbid!! When I err, I would hate to the core of my being to know that a friend or family member recognized it and said nothing. However, there is a way of presenting truth without using a whip and a chair.

It was not someone telling me I was a street-running heathen that won me to Christ...I already knew that!! It was words of love and hearing "You CAN do this, Barb...God loves you!!"

I know with my nephew, Ethan (he has Asperger's), I tell him when he does something wrong or his attitude is out of line, but in a way that teaches him the counter move is the better one.

It really is all in the presentation...
Old 02-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Words that bring healing...

Old 02-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Once more for the late comers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post

Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 PM
hammondb3klingon1

Favorites words that bring healing: YOU CAN DO IT, you worthles puke
Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondb3klingon1 View Post
TACKY.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
hammondb3klingon1

Tacky yes but truer words were never spoken. I heard them by my drill instructor all of those years ago.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:36 PM
The Swordsman

Proverbs 16:24 - Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:40 PM
The Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondb3klingon1 View Post

James 3:10 - Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.