Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Parson the local church is a Divine Institution bought by the Blood of Christ ANY organization is a manmade institution that may or may not be used of God for a season.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Anapko is Gone...

Excellant Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Perhaps the better question would be "how long can an organization in perpetual chaos continue to exist?"

At some point something's gotta bend, or collapse is inevitable.
Well put! To cite from Rick Warren's book, "The Purpose Driven Church", he describes churches from his study. One of the church descriptions was called, "The Family Reunion Church". He said that this type of church can withstand anything, poor preaching, church splits, etc. But, it will not have significant church growth. Good viewpoint!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well put! To cite from Rick Warren's book, "The Purpose Driven Church", he describes churches from his study. One of the church descriptions was called, "The Family Reunion Church". He said that this type of church can withstand anything, poor preaching, church splits, etc. But, it will not have significant church growth. Good viewpoint!
That described exactly our old church, the one my wife grew up in. It is around 90-100 members yet half are related. The most significant church growth has been happening during the last two years when about 10 to 12 babies have been born since the new pastor instituted a no-birth control policy.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Anapko is Gone...

I Can Relate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
That described exactly our old church, the one my wife grew up in. It is around 90-100 members yet half are related. The most significant church growth has been happening during the last two years when about 10 to 12 babies have been born since the new pastor instituted a no-birth control policy.
I can relate with that. My wife's parents founded and pastored a church just like that. Whenever we would make suggestions as to the healsth of the church, we were met with condemnations of compromise and heresy. We finally left after spending nearly 20 years there. To this day, the church is pretty, but only family and very close friends go there, about 30 people. Sad, very sad.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapko81 View Post
I can relate with that. My wife's parents founded and pastored a church just like that. Whenever we would make suggestions as to the healsth of the church, we were met with condemnations of compromise and heresy. We finally left after spending nearly 20 years there. To this day, the church is pretty, but only family and very close friends go there, about 30 people. Sad, very sad.
I know a prominent preacher who received a lot of criticism for calling this what it is - "spiritual incest".

He talked about Pentecostals being so closed off from society that they focused on preaching to themselves, etc.

This was quite some time ago but one of this preachers ideas was that rather than the larger UPC districts holding Campmeetings in seculded sanctuaries in small towns or in the country that they should rent convention halls in major cities and make the campmeetings an evangelistic outreach.

I felt that he made a great point.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Hi Josh and Bro Epley!!

Great answers!!

Anything man-made, such as an organization, will be filled with flaws. And if one disagrees with the organization, he should seek to find a place where he can find support and fellowship while fulfilling his calling.

My problem, I suppose, stems from watching so many splits in my home church while I was growing up. Somebody would get something in their craw about nothing and try to take as many people as they could with them out the door.

Down the road they would go to start a new work.

They could never leave gracefully. They always had to make a big deal about starting a new thing where they could preach THE TRUTH...as if the place they left had quit preaching TRUTH.

And in a few months...the spilt would then split...and all of it came to naught.

A church spilt--or an organizational split--too many people are left hurt and embittered for my taste.

And that many pastors would try to pull as many as they can out the door of an organization seems too much like what occurs in a church split.

I do not agree with my friends in EVERYTHING. But I do not wish to break friendship because we cannot come to an agreement. I cherish the friendship too much.

What is of great importance is that while we quarrel, amongst ouselves, devouring one another, we lose sight of our purpose.

We are in the people business, and there are some real issues facing people today.
What is more, the major issues that are tearing apart families and our nation have nothing to do with what is ripping apart the UPCI.

With that said...I relinquish the soapbox......... and pray that the body of Christ would one day fulfill its creed and walk in unity.

Blessings

Pars
Old 10-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Parsons start a prophecy discussion. Maybe you and Blume again? It was very good.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Hi Bro Epley!!

I always enjoy discussing prophecy with Bro Blume. Over the past couple of years, we have covered quite a few topics. I am not really sure which topic we have not covered at length.

Do you have a topic suggestion?

If you have a topic, maybe I can talk him into discussing it.

Blessings

Parson