Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

No mention of Seymour or Parham in the article. The name of the Mission is the same as the Azuza mission. The theme of world evangelism is the same as at Azuza. The students under Harry Morse had to live by faith and not work. This concept is seen in this letter. Notice the focus is being filled with the Holy Spirit, not speaking in tongues.

I have not seen this article in any of the literature about Azuza Street. Consider it a perk of being part of the AFF.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

It appears that this group left town and relocated to San Jose. Sparks stayed there for the rest of his life.

I wonder if the citizens of Oakland still had a bad taste in their mouth about Pentecostals when Harry Morse arrived in town 6 years later ? Was this the group that was the result of Seymours revival in 1906 ? Or did they become some other church ?

A Holy Roller group was still in the bay are in 1929. If Sparks was no longer with them ( he stayed in San Jose) then I don't think they had any connection to Seymour in Azuza.

Some stories build faith and end well. Others serve as a warning of what not to be.

Last edited by Scott Pitta; 07-30-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

2 churches were in Oakland in 1910 that had the same name: Apostolic Faith Mission. Until tonight, all the press articles were about one group. This group had been in or near Oakland since 1903. They are locally called the "Holy Rollers"

This group is known for broken families, emotional worship, and unrealistic behavior, like trying to walk on water. Their leaders prey on young teenage girls.

The other church has had no press. Only in one article does a local Methodist minister explain the difference between the 2 churches.

He favorably describes the church started by the Mission from Azuza as worshippers who engage in Mission work and preaching.

Hopefully, I can find news reports about Seymour's crusade in Oakland. The article mentions Studd, but not Seymour.

Did Harry Morse take over the Mission started by Seymour ? Did his mission become unfavorably compared to by the Apostolics with the bad reputation ? How did he distinguish his mission from the others ?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Those Azuza missionaries were of the opinion that the timing of the San Francisco earthquake and the outpouring were connected. Judgement came to the city by the bay, a few months later, the Spirit was poured out.

Bartleman wrote about it. There was an explosion of Pentecostal churches in Oakland afterwards.

Not sure what to make of it.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Those Azuza missionaries were of the opinion that the timing of the San Francisco earthquake and the outpouring were connected. Judgement came to the city by the bay, a few months later, the Spirit was poured out.

Bartleman wrote about it. There was an explosion of Pentecostal churches in Oakland afterwards.

Not sure what to make of it.
Interesting. I recall Bartleman writing that he had just finished a period of prayer and fasting before the earthquake. He then wrote a tract about it. I've sure enjoyed all this history, thanks for posting it.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

I told Elder Larry Booker about this thread he loves Pentecostal history.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:11 PM
On the road less traveled

I have followed this thread with interest as well. Thank you Scott for sharing your findings with us as your journey progresses!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

I just finished reading from page one of this thread.

God bless you Scott for starting this thread and for conducting your research. Now, I too want to know more about Mr. Harry Morse!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

W F Manley pastored Free Methodist churches in the midwest from 1880 until 1900. He moved to Los Angeles and pastored the flock of 9 families that became the core congregation that became the Apostolic Faith Mission. He then began a mission in Oakland called the "Household of God". That was in 1905. When the Spirit fell at Azuza Street, he returned to LA. But he did not experience his Pentecost until after he returned to Oakland.

Staff from Seymours church came to WF Manley's mission. Many were filled with the Spirit. Manley advertises in the paper that 500 have been healed. During his time in Oakland, he published the "Household of Faith" magazine.

In 1911, it all ended. No more mentions in the paper. No more magazines.

Did he die ? Did he leave the country on a missionary trip never to return ?

In 1918, he sends a book he wrote a eschatology book "Galaxy of Coming Events: Meaning and Outcome of the European War Terminating in a World Confederation According to Prophecy". It looks like he wrote it in Los Angeles after his time in Oakland.

Seymour did not pastor long at Azuza Street. The mission started by Manley only lasted from 1905 until 1911. But Morse pastored for 47 years in Oakland.

The Household of Gd mission ended 4 years before Morse came to town. I wonder if any of Manley's old saints ended up in Morse's Mission ?

Morse and Manley were both at Azuza. Neither were Spirit filled there. They were both from the midwest and ended up in Oakland.

Where are you William Frances Manley ?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

I look forward to each new post. Thanks.

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.