Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 03-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Banned

Re: Students Plan - March for Our Lives: March 24t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
THIS is why public schools should be banned:

You know that was staged. LOL
Old 03-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
Oh, please. The TSA is a joke. Actually, it would be a joke if they weren't such a nuisance. They haven't caught one single potential terrorist or hijacker since its inception.

That's not due to the TSA screenings. They're too busy patting down grandma and little 6-year old girls to find the real terrorists. What helps is that they removed the restriction on pilots carrying in the cockpit. A friend from church is a pilot who flies private charters for a local airport, and he conceal carries on every flight. When the hijackers may get shot before they can kill all the passengers, it rather defeats the purpose of them dying for their cause.

On that we agree.

I don't believe armed guards are the answer, but I'd be willing to concede it if they'd also approve repealing the ban on conceal carry on school grounds.
Just a question to all posting: why don't the bad guys / terrorist / people nutty enough to just kill people stop when the see that sigh in front of the schools or any building that says GUN FREE ZONE?

Can't they read? When it says gun free zone the bad guys cannot kill people. The good guys always follow the sign and NEVER bring in guns. Why the difference?
Old 03-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
It was staged but public schools should still be banned.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Where did you read that was staged?
Old 03-16-2018, 04:15 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelRose View Post
Just a question to all posting: why don't the bad guys / terrorist / people nutty enough to just kill people stop when the see that sigh in front of the schools or any building that says GUN FREE ZONE?

Can't they read? When it says gun free zone the bad guys cannot kill people. The good guys always follow the sign and NEVER bring in guns. Why the difference?

Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
So, kids watch their classmates get gunned down in cold blood, and decide to march in protest against the politicians who are doing nothing to protect them, and we make fun of them? Not cool. I'm seeing this all over Christian forums. Imagine a parent whose child was killed in one of these shootings reading "Christians" mocking these kids who have been through Hades... it only shows how heartless we are... and it reflects badly on Christ.

On the flip side, these kids are caught up in the liberal agenda. But can you blame them? Conservatives weren't offering any support or plan to address the problem whatsoever. I think these kids are too naïve to realize that gun bans won't work. But, because of their speaking out, we are having a more serious conversation about what we must do to make our schools safer. For that, they should be commended.

We need to focus on improving school security measures. Banning guns will not eliminate the threat. We need stronger security measures in our schools.
-Schools need better security screening for those entering schools.
-Schools need armed security staff and/or armed teachers.
I see no reason why schools shouldn't be as secure as airports and other government buildings. And I don't believe we should be so worried about the costs, these are America's children.

I know this... These school shootings make me envy homeschoolers.

How is this a Federal problem? And it seems to me they are not protesting the lack of protection. They are protesting gun ownership.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:49 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Funny how the Lame-Stream Media puts the Parkland kids on public display for all to see, so long as they're bashing gun ownership (and the NRA, and Republicans, and conservatives, etc) and pushing for confiscation. Yet not one of those cowards will have on Kyle Kashuv, who is also a survivor of the shooting but doesn't promote gun control.

Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelRose View Post
It was staged but public schools should still be banned.
I have mixed feelings on the idea of abolishing public schools.

First, I think we could abolish the U.S. Department of Education. I don't believe the Constitution gives the Fed authority to dictate to the states federal standards and polices. The 10th Amendment states:
Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
Any public education system should be funded and managed at the state level.

Second, I've reversed my previous opinion on homeschooling. I used to have my doubts about it. But today I'm actually impressed with some of the results I've seen in homeschool curriculum development and increasing state policies that give homeschooling parents more support. I'd like to see states encourage home schooling by offering tax exemptions for parents who homeschool or who have formed their own private homeschooling cooperatives.

Third, I think the public school systems are very top heavy. Too many administrators and not enough teachers. Also, administration shouldn't be making the awesomely high salaries they are making in some cases while teachers still serve in one of the lowest paid careers in America. Trim the fat at the top and pay teachers more. I also think teachers should not be so heavily regulated. I'm against standardized testing. I'm also against "zero tolerance" policies that are void of all common sense.

Fourth, The main reason why I'm leery about the idea of abolishing public schools is because I don't want to live in a nation of illiterates. Even with public education the average citizen is nearly illiterate. Most cashiers I've seen can't do math today. And again, that's with having public education. Imagine how bad it would be if we had no public educational system.

Side Note:

The statement I'm about to make is only a side note: I think schools should stop teaching only to standardized tests and college entry standards. I think parents and kids should have more options when it comes to their child's education. For example, different educational tracks. Some tracks could be designed to prepare a child for college. Some paths could be designed to prepare a child for a career in a trade. Those on the college track could have electives in a trade, just to back them up some. Those on the trade track could have a secondary trade as an elective to back them up.

There is good money to be found in the trades. In addition, so few are skilled in the trades because we've become so focused on educating our kids for "college". College isn't for everyone. And there should be no shame in saying that. Because having a college education doesn't make one intelligent. And knowing how to work with one's hands in a trade doesn't automatically make one less intelligent. My experience has often been the exact opposite. So, I think our public educational systems should bring in a greater focus on the trades.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
How is this a Federal problem? And it seems to me they are not protesting the lack of protection. They are protesting gun ownership.
And that is a valid criticism. I think they're barking up the wrong tree.
-They protest gun ownership.
-They get the social conversation on gun control.
-Small laws and measures are passed.
-The SCOTUS strikes down a number of these measures as being unconstitutional.
At the end of the day... they are no safer.

They need to be demanding measures to increase school security measures... and... universal healthcare that provides mental health services.

Last edited by Aquila; 03-21-2018 at 07:21 AM.