Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Oneness Man

Witchcraft = medication

Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft,5331 hatred, variance, emulations, wrath,2372 strife, seditions, heresies,

G5331
φαρμακεία
pharmakeia
far-mak-i'-ah
From G5332; medication (“pharmacy”), that is, (by extension) magic (literal or figurative): - sorcery, witchcraft.

I didn't even know this until yesterday when I was listening to a preaching tape. So, I decided to look it up and it took me by surprise. Now, it makes so much sense about why taking medication is being so widely used and why there are so many commercials on TV about taking a pill in what ails you.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Re: Witchcraft = medication

Most interesting.
I rarely see my Dr, therefore I rarely take prescriptions. I've had an odd infection on my leg, I've had 2 different presciptions and neither one cleared it up.
(Tis why they call it "The practice of medicine" , a line borrowed from George Carlin).

I'll need to visit the Dr again this week. Oh joy........

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

I believe if one studies this out, they will find that witchcraft = pharmica = mind altering drugs.

that doesnt mean everything that can be ingested for the purpose of curing sickness. Nor does it mean anything that is used for pain reduction.

there is a spiritual implication to using mind altering drugs for no good reason.... just as there is a spiritual implication to drunkeness.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Oneness Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsense View Post
Most interesting.
I rarely see my Dr, therefore I rarely take prescriptions. I've had an odd infection on my leg, I've had 2 different presciptions and neither one cleared it up.
(Tis why they call it "The practice of medicine" , a line borrowed from George Carlin).

I'll need to visit the Dr again this week. Oh joy........
It was interesting to me too. I read the whole bible a few times, but didn't know about the witchcraft = medication.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneness Man View Post
It was interesting to me too. I read the whole bible a few times, but didn't know about the witchcraft = medication.
O-Man, I dont think you can say that. the greek word Pharmika is where we get our word pharmacy from but that doesnt imply that the modern understanding of a drug like Amnioterone (sp) which corrects vintricular tachacardia is = to witchcraft.

we are talking about the ancient understanding of mind altering drugs, that were then used to put people into a state where they could "commune" with the spirits.

LSD yes. bad mojo
Asprin no. Good mojo.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Oneness Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I believe if one studies this out, they will find that witchcraft = pharmica = mind altering drugs.

that doesnt mean everything that can be ingested for the purpose of curing sickness. Nor does it mean anything that is used for pain reduction.

there is a spiritual implication to using mind altering drugs for no good reason.... just as there is a spiritual implication to drunkeness.
It doesn't say mind altering drugs though.

From φάρμακον pharmakon (a drug, that is, spell giving potion); a druggist (“pharmacist”) or poisoner, that is, (by extension) a magician: - sorcerer.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
It doesn't say mind altering drugs though.

From φάρμακον pharmakon (a drug, that is, spell giving potion); a druggist (“pharmacist”) or poisoner, that is, (by extension) a magician: - sorcerer.
Right! those things point to ancient understanding of the GREEK WORD. Not a modern understanding of a modern english word that is derived from a greek word.

very different things.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Oneness Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
O-Man, I dont think you can say that. the greek word Pharmika is where we get our word pharmacy from but that doesnt imply that the modern understanding of a drug like Amnioterone (sp) which corrects vintricular tachacardia is = to witchcraft.

we are talking about the ancient understanding of mind altering drugs, that were then used to put people into a state where they could "commune" with the spirits.

LSD yes. bad mojo
Asprin no. Good mojo.
I thought that good old fashion prayer would cure anything. This is getting to be a pill world and that is what is so sad, because all you have to do is to take a pill for any ailment.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

lsd bad, that is funny and true, for anyone to try and say the bible promotes witchcraft or twist the words to say that all meds are bad, is just bunk, dt
Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I thought that good old fashion prayer would cure anything. This is getting to be a pill world and that is what is so sad, because all you have to do is to take a pill for any ailment.
My friend, Good old fashion prayer can cure anything and I am living walking proof!

My sons are both alive and well today because of good old fashioned prayer too! But lets be sure to also point out that during the birth of my first son, both he and my wife would have died that day had it not been for Doctors and modern medicine.

that however doesnt change the fact that there are times when modern medicine IS called for. The Quad. Bypass my dad has in 1992 sure seems to have stood him in good sted. he is with us to this day. the Drs. gave him 5 years in 1992.

God did not see fit to heal my back in 2006. Lortab and a good surgon got me on the road to recovery.

Brother Epley can give you some names of preachers that preached against medical treatment until they got deathly sick.

Zelousness for God is no excuse for bad doctrine. Drugs = witchcraft is BAD doctrine.