Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Pastors

Do you obey your Godly Pastor?

Hebrews 13
17Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Re: Pastors

Yes, as they have spoken unto me the word of God.

7Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
Yes, as they have spoken unto me the word of God.

7Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.
Are you saying "yes" only when they are reading the bible to you or are you saying as God directs them to guides you in your life?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
Are you saying "yes" only when they are reading the bible to you or are you saying as God directs them to guides you in your life?
Are you implying people should obey pastors when they depart from the Word and demand things of the saints the bible does not talk about? If so, I disagree. i am a pastor, and I tell the people to follow me AS I FOLLOW CHRIST. IOW, what is in the WORD that I present is what they should follow. I believe it is false doctrine for pastors to demand people obey them when they demand things the word does not suggest.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Are you implying people should obey pastors when they depart from the Word and demand things of the saints the bible does not talk about? If so, I disagree. i am a pastor, and I tell the people to follow me AS I FOLLOW CHRIST. IOW, what is in the WORD that I present is what they should follow. I believe it is false doctrine for pastors to demand people obey them when they demand things the word does not suggest.
So are you saying everything you teach is clearly spelled out in the bible?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
If it's not then you aren't teaching/preaching the bible but the doctrines of men.

Paul said teach the word, not "teach whatever you feel". God is not the author of confusion where he has one law for one pastor/church and another for a different pastor/church

That kind of dictatorial power in the hnands of men can lead to abuses of authority pastors were never meant to have.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Everything I let people know that God wants them to do, yes. Beyond that I give my opinion and ask no one to do it just because I believe it. I preach the Word, not my opinion.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
If it's not then you aren't teaching/preaching the bible but the doctrines of men.
Paul said teach the word, not "teach whatever you feel". God is not the author of confusion where he has one law for one pastor/church and another for a different pastor/church

That kind of dictatorial power in the hnands of men can lead to abuses of authority pastors were never meant to have.
What about principles in the bible that some people might not be able to see in the bible like drugs, smoking, or such like? none of these are spelled out clear as day in the bible.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

It is said by some one should take on all the beliefs and convictions of one other man - namely their "Man of God" or Pastor.

If one cannot do this - he should pull out his mighty trump card and fire his "Man of God" then cleave to another.

To these I would ask, "by what authority can you fire your own personal "Man of God"? If you cannot make your own decisions on the more mundane details and beliefs concerning your Christian walk, how possibly could you remove your own self from the flock and not go with them all the way to Jonestown?

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Real men of God will never tell their people to do things he demands that are not in the bible. Real men of God teach people to be able to hear from God for themselves, and to walk after the Spirit and not after the pastor.

Some "men of God" like the idea of telling people what to do in every step of their walks. Again, Paul said "follow me AS I FOLLOW CHRIST." Not just blind following him since he was a man of God.