Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Strange View Post
As far as I know there is no shortage scare. As far as I know, there is no sky getting ready to fall. There is however, the spectre of considerable price in food price increases for many reasons, not the least of which is late planting, competing interests, and the falling dollar against almost every major currency. In fact, the falling dollar against the Euro is one of the main reason for the escalating gas price. However, there is some recent good news about the dollar as of yesterday.

Further, the inevitable spike in food price is no propaganda. It is a fact. But don't run for the hills just yet. The sky is not falling and there is no scare. No sense in people getting strung out with tension and become suicidal. It is not THAT bad. In fact, we are living in the best times in recorded history, as far as I know.
As I noted in the opening sentence of my post... My references were concerning the mention in Jillians post about there being a possible shortage of corn in the future due to higher demand with the increasing popularity of ethanol as a fuel.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Brother Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
Of course, the reason for the higher prices is nothing other than greed. Just because there is greater demand or less supply (or both) does not necessitate that the people who provide the supply raise their prices. There is no "law of supply and demand," it's nothing more than greed.
Of course it is "greed." That is the nature of the beast.

Every publicly traded equity is carefully examined by investors for many fundamentals of the Corporation. What is the business, how much does it earn, what is its debt/equity ratio, what is its price/earnings, what is its stock history, on and on. Foolish is the investor that does not do his research before investing in any industry.

When that business is not run effeciently with the bottom line in mind, the stockholders are going to shake it up and bring in new management to either reduce cost, raise prices or streamline the company to be more profitable for their shareholders. Management is charged with the responsibility to show a ever increasing bottom line.

It is the nature of the beast in the free markets.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Well...

for the opportunists with some spare cash, there will be money made in the Commodities Futures Market. That is inevitable.
Gee that was what I was thinking
Old 05-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Here is the thing times might get bad ,but God can still feed folks from a raven's mouth.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
Here is the thing times might get bad ,but God can still feed folks from a raven's mouth.
Good point, Scott. Sometimes your simplicity gets to me....in a good way, I mean. You state the obvious in a way that people often overlook. I appreciate it!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Brother Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Good point, Scott. Sometimes your simplicity gets to me....in a good way, I mean. You state the obvious in a way that people often overlook. I appreciate it!
Does it mean that you are going to let the weeds have your garden?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Does it mean that you are going to let the weeds have your garden?
LOL! No, there are other good reasons to have a garden.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Brother Strange

Quote:
LOL! No, there are other good reasons to have a garden.
Right!

Exercise!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Right!

Exercise!
Good fresh vegetables!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Brother Strange

Quote:
Good fresh vegetables!
Oh!

But wouldn't you prefer good fresh vegetables via Ravens?