Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Incredible India

Orange and Port Cranberry Sauce

12 ounces cranberries, washed and drained
2 oranges, juice and zest of ((1/3 cup fresh orange juice))
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup port wine (good quality)

Not the one? See other Cranberry Orange & Port Sauce Recipes
< 30 mins Sauces
Low Protein Sauces
Oranges Sauces
Christmas Sauces
Place the cranberries and the zest and juice of the oranges in a saucepan.
Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes until soft; stirring occasionally.
Stir in the sugar and port and cook gently until sauce becomes pulpy.
Let cool
Old 11-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

If you are making your own dinner rolls, this is the absolute best and easiest recipe I've ever used. In fact, I made them on Monday to go with homade chicken noodle soup. Keith ate five of them before supper even started!

Oatmeal Dinner Rolls

2 c. water
1 c. dry quick oats
3 T butter or margarine
1 package dry yeast
1/3 c. warm water
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
5-6 c. flour

In saucepan, bring 2 c. water to a boil. Add oats and butter. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm.

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/3 c. warmish water. Add cooled oats mixture, sugars, salt and 4 c. flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough flour to make a soft dough.

At this point, I deviate from the recipe. It says to turn onto a floured surface and knead, adding additional flour for 6-8 minutes. But because my mixer is a big heavy-duty contraption with an attachment for kneading bread dough, I just used that for about 5 minutes and added additional flour as it was working the dough until it started to clean the sides of the bowl.

Place in a greased bowl, turning over to grease the top. Cover and let rise for about an hour in a warm place (until double in size).

Punch down. Let rest for 10 minutes. Then shape into 18 balls. Place them in a greased round pan (I actually made 3 pans of rolls out of this one recipe).
Cover and let rise again until double (about 45 minutes or longer). (Be sure they are rising in a warm place)

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. When you remove them from the oven, brush the tops with butter. Enjoy!!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Formerly known as CareyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
If you are making your own dinner rolls, this is the absolute best and easiest recipe I've ever used. In fact, I made them on Monday to go with homade chicken noodle soup. Keith ate five of them before supper even started!

Oatmeal Dinner Rolls

2 c. water
1 c. dry quick oats
3 T butter or margarine
1 package dry yeast
1/3 c. warm water
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
5-6 c. flour

In saucepan, bring 2 c. water to a boil. Add oats and butter. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm.

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/3 c. warmish water. Add cooled oats mixture, sugars, salt and 4 c. flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough flour to make a soft dough.

At this point, I deviate from the recipe. It says to turn onto a floured surface and knead, adding additional flour for 6-8 minutes. But because my mixer is a big heavy-duty contraption with an attachment for kneading bread dough, I just used that for about 5 minutes and added additional flour as it was working the dough until it started to clean the sides of the bowl.

Place in a greased bowl, turning over to grease the top. Cover and let rise for about an hour in a warm place (until double in size).

Punch down. Let rest for 10 minutes. Then shape into 18 balls. Place them in a greased round pan (I actually made 3 pans of rolls out of this one recipe).
Cover and let rise again until double (about 45 minutes or longer). (Be sure they are rising in a warm place)

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. When you remove them from the oven, brush the tops with butter. Enjoy!!
I use this same recipe Margie and it's the best! The only thing is, I use 1 cup Milk and 1 cup Water instead of all water.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post

Oatmeal Dinner Rolls

2 c. water
1 c. dry quick oats
3 T butter or margarine
1 package dry yeast
1/3 c. warm water
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
5-6 c. flour

Where do you usually keep yours warm?
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.