Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Forever Loved Admin

In The Last Days

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: Acts 2:17 KJV

Are these people that were saved, unsaved? Baptized, unbaptized?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Re: In The Last Days

This was fulfilled when the day of Pentecost occurred 2000 years ago. Peter said that which Joel foretold about the last days occurred in Acts 2! Since then it has been here, having already been poured out.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 06-20-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

I think "all flesh" may refer to all nations, not every single human being.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Well, Bro. Blume says it already happened.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: Acts 2:17 KJV

The phrase, "I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh", means that the Gift of the Holy Ghost is available to all people that are born again. Peter made this clear when he quoted "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" . He is saying "The Gift of the Holy Ghost is available to all who have called on the name of the Lord" In verse 39, he repeats that the Gift of the Holy Ghost is available to all who are saved (born again) -verse 38.

This doesn't necessarily mean that water baptism is a prerequisite for recieving the Holy Ghost. Act 10 shows the Holy Ghost is given to the repentant prior to water baptism. In fact, Acts 2 gives no record of the 120 being baptized in water until after they had recieved the Holy Ghost.

The exact wording of Scripture is very interesting. Compare:

Joe 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, [that] I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

Notice the underlined part. See the interjection of the word "OF"? In reading Acts 2:17, I get a mental image of a pitcher of water over the heads of the recipients. The water (contents OF the pitcher) is being poured upon the recipients. Joel indicates the Spirit (pitcher) as the subject, while Acts shows the water (contents of the pitcher) as the subject. Peter's quote, then would compare to " I will pour the contents OF this pitcher upon your heads" while Joel is saying: "I will pour this pitcher on your heads." In other words: in Joel 2:28, the Spirit is the "pitcher" while in Acts 2:17, it is the contents of the pitcher that represents the Spirit.

Doesn't really mean alot, just interesting to me. It compares to Pauls writing about all receiving the "self-same Spirit" (contents of the pitcher)

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:14 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

And Bro. Blume is correct, but only partially so. Joel 2:28 has been fulfilled. But not just at Pentecost. But also in Acts 4: 31-32, Acts chapters 10, and 19. In Topeka, Kansas as well. And at Azusa Street. And everywhere else someone has been baptized with the Holy Ghost. And that outpouring will continue until "....that great and notable day of the Lord come."

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

The Spirit of God is the seal of the new covenant. All Born again believers recieve the Spirit.

Its by the Spirit that we are all baptized in one body. We are adopted because of the Spirit.

We are God's Because of the Spirit. Infact the promise of God is the Spirit.

The Spirit is the mark of acceptance of God. Its the covenant Bond, Circumscision was the old, and the Spirit is The new.

The whole Gospel of the Cross is about forgiveness and Gods spirit redeming.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Forever Loved Admin

So this scripture is still relevant today?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Thank you all for your responses.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

If you remember, the Prophets of old where anointed by the Holy Spirit. Joel informed us that "In the last days, I will pour out my Spirit upon ALL FLESH". Not only those that are chosen prophets, but everyone will have a chance off God pour out his spirit.

Wither one receives or rejects is their own choice, not Gods.