Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPLE E View Post
Concerning the book of Job-he no doubt was a contemporary with Abraham as his life span seems to fit that of the other patriarchs living at that time.The book of Job is probably the oldest book in the Bible. It contains more references to creation, the Flood and other primeval events than any book of the Bible except Genesis, and provides more insight into the age-long conflict between God and Satan than almost any other book. Remarkably, it also seems to contain more modern scientific insights than any other book of the Bible.
1. It is interesting comparing Job and Genesis. Not something I would have thought to do.

2. While Job had somethings in common with Abraham; making sacrafices to God on his own without a priest; he did something radically different from Abraham's decendants.

In the first chapter of Job we find that he had split property between just the males in the family; but in the last chapter; after God blessed him and restored him; he split the property to include his daughters also (unlike the normal practice of the Hebrews). Most likely a prophetic inference could be drawn between the OT and NT in this regard.

3. What scientific insights are in Job? What of Genesis?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
Genesis Outline

There are five patriarchal fathers – Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph and Job—for the book of Job must be put after this book of Genesis and before the book of Exodus. Job certainly lived before Moses and we read of Moses in Exodus 2.

Joseph is a character presented without fault—not that he had no faults, but his faults are not recorded. He was a man of flesh and blood like us. God honored him, for there are at least 130 parallels between the life of Joseph and the life of Jesus. He is therefore the messianic patriarch, the patriarch who reflected the Christ Himself.
Interesting tidbits.

1. However, I am not sure why the author believes that Job is a descendant of Abraham (if he does); or why the book of Job belongs between Genesis and Exodus. I would like to know how these conclusions were arrived at.

2. I do believe that Joseph exhibited a character flaw/or at the very least the immaturity of his youth in bragging to his brothers. I am also not sure that everyone would agree that it was ok to deceive his family later and scare them half to death.

Consequently, it seems to me that Joseph was shown with faults, so I am not so sure about the messanic theory. But I am willing to look at it.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
1. It is interesting comparing Job and Genesis. Not something I would have thought to do.

2. While Job had somethings in common with Abraham; making sacrafices to God on his own without a priest; he did something radically different from Abraham's decendants.

In the first chapter of Job we find that he had split property between just the males in the family; but in the last chapter; after God blessed him and restored him; he split the property to include his daughters also (unlike the normal practice of the Hebrews). Most likely a prophetic inference could be drawn between the OT and NT in this regard.

The facts and laws of physics were generally not discovered until the last few hundred years. A few topics that the Bible addresses:

Air Has Weight
From earlier centuries until rather recently, the scientific world believed that air lacked weight. The Bible indicates otherwise. The book of Job, written as early as 2000 B.C., indicates that air has weight.

"God understandeth the way thereof, and he knoweth the place thereof. For he looketh to the ends of the earth, and seeth under the whole heaven; To make the weight for the winds; and he weigheth the waters by measure." Job 28:23-25

Torricelli discovered that air has weight in 1643 A.D., and applied it to the discovery of barometric pressure.

Light Moves
People once thought that light was instantaneous. After all, the tremendous velocity of light certainly made it appear in an instant. We now realize not only that light moves, but also that its' movement and velocity are critical to the existence of earth. The book of Job implied that light moves:

"What is the way to the abode of light? And where does darkness reside? Can you take them to their places? Do you know the paths to their dwellings?"
Job 38:19,20

The First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics
#1: Energy cannot be created or destroyed.
#2: Entropy: Things tend to move from a state of order to a state of disorder (randomness). i.e. Things tend to decay. Stars burn out. Heat dissipates. Springs unwind.

Regarding the first law, the Bible makes reference to the idea that no mass or energy has been input into the universe since God finished the creation process.

"By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done." Genesis 2:2-3

"Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.'" And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world." Hebrews 4:3,4

The second law is referenced either directly or indirectly in Psalm 102:25,26; Isaiah 51:6; Matthew 24:35; Romans 8:20-22.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

The Hydrologic Cycle
Water comes down to earth as rain, runs down hills into rivers, back into the oceans, where it evaporates, eventually to form clouds and fall to earth again. We understand this concept and take it for granted. This concept was not properly identified in the scientific community until the 1700's. The Bible very clearly explained this as follows:

"He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the streams;
the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on mankind."
Job 36:27,28
Old 03-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

The Earth is Suspended in Space
The Chinese thought the earth was square. The Egyptians thought it was rectangular with a "starry" goddess arching her body over the earth while the sun and the moon massaged her arms and legs. About 2000 B.C. the Bible indicated that the earth hangs on nothing but space.

"He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing."
Job 26:7
Old 03-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Registered Member

Genesis 1:2
2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

“And the spirit of God…”

There is something that is called the “Law of First Mention”. What the law of first mention says is the 1st time something is mentioned in scripture it dictates how that thing will act every time it is mentioned throughout the entire Bible.
Here we have the 1st mention of the Spirit of God. The Bible says “and the Spirit of God moved…” The word move is a verb an action word, the Spirit of God is action, “and the Spirit of God moved…” Notice when it moved.
It moved when darkness was upon the face of the deep, it moved when the absence of light was in effect, it moved when chaos was all around it moved upon the face of the waters, that destructive force, it moved.

Praise God that His Spirit moved upon us when we were still roaming around in the darkness and brought us to the light!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:04 AM
Registered Member

Genesis 1:3
3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

If we want to know what it really means to have “life”…
…not empty life, not formless life, not life that is filled with darkness…but real “life”…
…life that is filled with real peace, real joy, real love…
…we must come to the Light Jesus Christ!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:18 AM
Registered Member

Triple E- Thanks for posting those scientific insights found in Scripture. Very interesting.

Not sure though that I believe in the "law of first mention." Men are not always wimps and women aren't always deceived. A raven was sent froom the Noah's ark and did not return as a dove did; but ravens brought food to a prophet holed up in a cave. Maybe some other posters can comment.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Triple E- Thanks for posting those scientific insights found in Scripture. Very interesting.

Not sure though that I believe in the "law of first mention." Men are not always wimps and women aren't always deceived. A raven was sent froom the Noah's ark and did not return as a dove did; but ravens brought food to a prophet holed up in a cave. Maybe some other posters can comment.
I have to agree with you "the law of first mention" doesn't work for everything in the word for sure!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Interesting tidbits.

1. However, I am not sure why the author believes that Job is a descendant of Abraham (if he does); or why the book of Job belongs between Genesis and Exodus. I would like to know how these conclusions were arrived at.

2. I do believe that Joseph exhibited a character flaw/or at the very least the immaturity of his youth in bragging to his brothers. I am also not sure that everyone would agree that it was ok to deceive his family later and scare them half to death.

Consequently, it seems to me that Joseph was shown with faults, so I am not so sure about the messanic theory. But I am willing to look at it.
1. I think the author is taking in consideration the time frame of Job that he was alive before Moses. I have read others that have stated something similar, even suggesting it should have been the first book, except for the fact that Genesis gives the beginning of time.

2. I am sure Joseph had character flaws as ALL mankind does. However, I personally don't see it as a flaw that he tested his brothers. Considering what they had done to him, I think it was only wisdom to see if they had indeed changed, before giving them blessings beyond what others would have received.

JMO

Thanks for your usual wise input.