Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > The Wild Side
Facebook

Notices

The Wild Side Firearms & Hunting; Feed your wild side here!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
friendly to the sinners

Re: Gun Talk/ Gun Show thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzan View Post
Printing and more rounds were things I knew. But there is some issue with jamming, no?
Ive owned some what I consider cheap pistols and Ive owned nice guns. Ive had the cheap ones jam once or twice when really filthy, Ive yet to have the good ones jam even when really dirty. As Bro. E said, with good maintenance and cleaning helps prevent this. Jamming is uncommon but not unheard of with my friends who shoot pistols. I think some semi-auto pistols like some semi-auto rifles can be "picky" with what cartridge to use, this could be a problem.

Last edited by endtimer; 02-13-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

The only pistols I ever had had problems with jamming or "smoke stacking" have all been .22's. The rounds are just so small that they get easily tangled up when a new one is extracted from the mag.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM
friendly to the sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
The only pistols I ever had had problems with jamming or "smoke stacking" have all been .22's. The rounds are just so small that they get easily tangled up when a new one is extracted from the mag.
I had a Kel-tec 9mm that would stove pipe on me when I would put 100-200 rounds through it at the range. It was very finicky. I haayaaayted that gun.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtimer View Post
I had a Kel-tec 9mm that would stove pipe on me when I would put 100-200 rounds through it at the range. It was very finicky. I haayaaayted that gun.
Well, there's your problem!

I probably meant to say stove piping, but have heard it referred to as smoke stacking as well. lol
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM
friendly to the sinners

Quote:
Well, there's your problem!

I probably meant to say stove piping, but have heard it referred to as smoke stacking as well. lol
Sure was, Ill never get of those guns again. Ill never own a cheap gun again either.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzan View Post
I didn't read every post in this thread but it looks most everyone is carrying a pistol. When I did my research for a personal defense gun (i.e. occasional use), it seemed to me that revolvers were the gun of choice. Pistols carry more rounds but what other advantages do you all see in them?

BTW, I carry a S&W bodyguard 38 special with laser.
My personal protection pistol is a 357 magnum revolver so I don't need no stinkin' laser! If I hit them anywhere the are not going to keep coming. LOL

(I am getting the Lasermax laser for my wifes Ruger 380 LCP though and I just bought a green laser for my AR 15)
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 02-14-2013, 05:23 AM
Pride of the Neighborhood

As far as home defense, a good ole shotgun is your best bet. I got a Remington 12 gauge in my closet. Don't have to be accurate.

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 AM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
My personal protection pistol is a 357 magnum revolver so I don't need no stinkin' laser! If I hit them anywhere the are not going to keep coming. LOL

(I am getting the Lasermax laser for my wifes Ruger 380 LCP though and I just bought a green laser for my AR 15)
a 357 is probably the only revolver I would own if I were to get one.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Quote:
So endtimer, when you carry (and I am assuming you do), what condition is your gun in? I carry with a round chambered but the safety is on. When I start carrying my Glock 19, I will have one chambered (there is rarely time to rack the slide when you need a weapon) without a safety since it doesn't have one.
Randy,
Do you carry your Glock 19? I just bought a S&W M&P 9 and it's the same size as your Glock 19. I love the way it shoots but I am having issues wanting to carry it in my purse. I thought I wouldn't mind the weight when I bought. I was carrying a 38 S&W snub nose airweight. It was light but someone would have to be right in front of me to hit them. I don't want anyone that close. For now, I keep it in my car and bring it in a night. Maybe I will get use to the weight.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcD View Post
Randy,
Do you carry your Glock 19? I just bought a S&W M&P 9 and it's the same size as your Glock 19. I love the way it shoots but I am having issues wanting to carry it in my purse. I thought I wouldn't mind the weight when I bought. I was carrying a 38 S&W snub nose airweight. It was light but someone would have to be right in front of me to hit them. I don't want anyone that close. For now, I keep it in my car and bring it in a night. Maybe I will get use to the weight.
I haven't been carrying the Glock because I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Since it doesn't have a safety (and I always carry one in the chamber) I really need to know what the trigger pull feels like as well as the break point before I am comfortable having it on me. Size wise, I like it though. I have an inside the belt holster that fits perfect.