Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
CC1, I used to watch KP's program back in the day, and though I wasn't saved, I thought it was great.

I remember one particular broadcast where he had a young woman testify...I can't remember her name, but she was the niece of Katharine Hepburn. She was a beautiful girl...blond hair I think...it's been a while ago now.

Anyway, she said that she witnessed to her Aunt Katharine and was told to NOT bring that subject up again.

Were you going there then and do you know anything about this?!
Interesting. That sounds like it would have been before my time. I moved there in March 1983.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Interesting. That sounds like it would have been before my time. I moved there in March 1983.
Ahhh...well I'm trying to remember. It was some time in the early 70s if you know nothing about it.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Ahhh...well I'm trying to remember. It was some time in the early 70s if you know nothing about it.
So it is true that you are as old as dirt!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
So it is true that you are as old as dirt!!!!!!
Oh my...as soon as I saw you had posted again on this thread, I knew in my inner beings you had said that!!

We have walked together much too long, son...!!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 PM
philjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Good morning, Tim.

Becky Fender is the daughter of one of my dad's closest friends back through the years, and a man you probably know, David Varnado. The last I heard he was still living in the Lake Charles area.

Dad said that Steve Fender got in church in Illinois or somewhere up that way. He preached for us back in the seventies at Sandy Lake and was a powerful preacher.

Their close association with KP would have come later...

Good to see you back on...
David is indeed Becky's dad and David lives next door to my daughter and son-in-law in Moss Bluff, LA. His nephew, Jim Vanover goes to church with me. His sister is Sister Janet Trout in Delaware. Becky has a significant pedigree in Apostolic circles.

Some of you would be surprised at the UC roots that Steve and Becky had. He used to preach for many of the AMF brethren, including the late Charles Cooper in Pitkin, LA. Of course, as some have already indicated, Becky sang the revivals and Steve basically gave the altar calls.

Another couple that I thought of with the talk of Steve and Becky was Sharon and Paul Haygood... one key difference was that Paul could preach as well as Sharon could sing.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

In the mid 70's era Becky Fender was my favorite singer. I remember at La. Campmeeting in either 73 or 74 I bought an album with a group comprised of Becky Fender and Bill and Renee Morris. I think it was titled "Rainbow" or something like that. Very contemporary for that era and I loved it. Bill Morris was Kenneth Phillips music director at the time.

A decade or two later Becky went through a phase of overdoing songs (phrasing, riffs, etc) that I did not enjoy but I think she recovered from that phase! She has an amazing voice. I have not heard her for years but I assume she still does.

In the mid 70's Becky Fender, Sharon Haygood, and Nancy Grandquist were probably the best female soloists in Oneness Pentecost.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
philjones

Quote:
In the mid 70's era Becky Fender was my favorite singer. I remember at La. Campmeeting in either 73 or 74 I bought an album with a group comprised of Becky Fender and Bill and Renee Morris. I think it was titled "Rainbow" or something like that. Very contemporary for that era and I loved it. Bill Morris was Kenneth Phillips music director at the time.

A decade or two later Becky went through a phase of overdoing songs (phrasing, riffs, etc) that I did not enjoy but I think she recovered from that phase! She has an amazing voice. I have not heard her for years but I assume she still does.

In the mid 70's Becky Fender, Sharon Haygood, and Nancy Grandquist were probably the best female soloists in Oneness Pentecost.
In 1979 or 1980, while I was with AM in Plano, TX, I was privileged to jam with Nancy G, Landy E and a couple of other musicians at a concert in Fort Worth. It was before Bro. Hanby's indiscretions had been brought to light. We had a great time. I think at that time Nancy was in the throes of decisions regarding Apostolic traditions. She obviously made her decision and today is quite consistent with conservative Pentecost. AND, she can still SANG!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

CC1- I agree with you. B. Fender does have a great voice. I always enjoyed her singing especially back in the day! I listened to B. Fender singing at the Promiseland service and noted that she still overdoes phrases. I remember the B. Morris era, I was just coming into Pentecost at the time. I had a connection to the Phillips church, and visited there a couple of times, in the 70's heyday.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

For the Becky Fender Fanclub

[YT="I Still Have A Future"]N1ROHlozRXE[/YT]
Old 10-10-2007, 10:41 PM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Becky has been much of his success.
I believe most of us successful men could or should say that our wives is "much of our success." Wouldn't you agree, bro? Are maybe I should ask yo wifey, huh?
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org