Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 AM
mary

Re: Have we confused tongues/int. with prophecy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Ok Im still confused. You just indicated correction done in love is Edifying. Now you say "might", but tongues and interpretation probably won't? Yet Paul said

1Co 14:4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church.
1Co 14:5 Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up (edified).

So both prophesying and interpretations can build up/edify the church. In fact Paul said

1Co 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

If a person is speaking God's word then the assertion "yet the second would be much more in keeping with the bible" is subjective. There is no one standard message. As I said, whatever is needed for the body...if they need faith, faith. If they need direction, direction. If they need encouragement, encouragement. If they need, hope, hope. If they need to trust Him more, He'll speak to that. If He feels a visitor might need to hear something, He'll speak to that.
Prax, am I touching a sacred cow or something? Let it go. This is my last post to you on this subject. I've explained, and you've questioned me for two pages and then judged every response. That's not the purpose of the fellowship hall, but the debate room.

T&I may be for edification, but not all edification is T&I. There are different kinds of edification. Edification as described in the few verses about T&I would mean praise, thanksgiving, exalting God, which would encourage, or edify, the body. Edification as you mean it, building up which you state can mean reproof or correction, is not mentioned in relation to T&I anywhere in the Bible that I have found.

All of your questions boil down to the fact that you are reading "edification" and making it all encompassing, irregardless of the context or the other descriptors that would define the word in relation to a certain subject in the Bible, and using that one word to show that T&I can be correction.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimary View Post
Prax, am I touching a sacred cow or something? Let it go.
I don't know...so far your posts have been very confusing. What do I need to let go? Or do you need to let something go?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimary View Post
Prax, am I touching a sacred cow or something? Let it go. This is my last post to you on this subject. I've explained, and you've questioned me for two pages and then judged every response. That's not the purpose of the fellowship hall, but the debate room.
lol, I haven't judged anything. Im just responding to what you post and being honest. I'm just a little confused at what you are trying to say
Quote:
T&I may be for edification, but not all edification is T&I. There are different kinds of edification. Edification as described in the few verses about T&I would mean praise, thanksgiving, exalting God, which would encourage, or edify, the body. Edification as you mean it, building up which you state can mean reproof or correction, is not mentioned in relation to T&I anywhere in the Bible that I have found.
Ok and I disagree. Edification is a word that comes from the greek word for building a house or building of some sort. So anything that helps to build that building is "edification"..One of the purposes of Interpretation we know from what Paul said is to build up as in a building or house. To fix it, make it better or complete it.

Edification is edification, that is one of the purposes of all the gifts as Paul said (see earlier post).

T&I is useful to edify (short for edification which refers to a building)

So whatever is necessary to BUILD is what edification means. If the body needs something for it's benefit to be complete as the building of Christ, the temple of God, that is "edification". It doesn't matter what it is as long as it is useful to build the building

Zodhaties says of the word:
building a house, builder. To build, construct, erect. It is used in Luke 6:48 of an actual building and several other verses too

It is also used to rebuild or renew broken down buildings

Paul uses it specifically of the church. I've already detailed how the church is grown according to Paul. There are many certain things necessary to help the body or individuals of the body be the building of Christ, growing and complete. Anything that is therefore beneficial TO the body or a believer is building the church. If that includes correcting a member on the direction they are taking, which is the wrong direction, then that is beneficial. Anything that is good or useful to complete the members of the body is edifying to them

Quote:
All of your questions boil down to the fact that you are reading "edification" and making it all encompassing, irregardless of the context or the other descriptors that would define the word in relation to a certain subject in the Bible, and using that one word to show that T&I can be correction.
It's a word. It means to build. T&I is for the edification of the body. Word mean something. They have meaning. I've already shown biblical and linguistically what edification means.

In 1Cor Paul does not define Edification in any certain way, rather he includes the term in a list of benefits of Prophecy...

1Co 14:3 On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation.

Notice Paul lists 3 benefits...not one but three. If they all meant the same thing there would be no point in using all three.

One is upbuilding, the greek word oikodoméō I mentioned earlier. It refers to a building.

next is "encouragement"...from the greek word paráklēsis. Modern English translates it as comfort or encouragement. This is being used distinctly from the other word to build up.

BDAG says of this word
act of emboldening another in belief or course of action, encouragement, exhortation (Thu. 8, 92, 11; Ps.-Pla., Def. 415e; Polyb. 1, 67, 10; 1, 72, 4; 22, 7, 2; Diod S 15, 56, 2; 2 Macc 7:24; Philo, Vi. Cont. 12; Jos., Vi. 87) 1 Th 2:3; 1 Ti 4:13; Hb 12:5. W. οἰκοδομή: λαλεῖν παράκλησιν speak words of exhortation 1 Cor 14:3. παράκλησις ἐν Χριστῷ Christian exhortation Phil 2:1 (mng. 3 is also prob.). Likew. interpretation varies betw. 1 and 3 for Ro 12:8 (s. παρακαλέω 2 and 4).—2 Cor 8:17 could stand under 1, but prob. may better be classed w. 2. λόγος τῆς π. word of exhortation (cp. 2 Macc 15:11 ἡ ἐν τοῖς λόγοις παράκλησις; 7:24; Dio Chrys. 1, 9) Hb 13:22; cp. Ac 13:15. ἰσχυρὰν παράκλησιν ἔχειν be greatly encouraged Hb 6:18.

Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., & Bauer, W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed.) (766). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

And finally the last word in the KJV translated comfort is translated as console in modern english translations

paramuthía to console. Exhortation, encouragement. In the NT, consolation, comfort (1Co_14:3). Paramuthía expresses a greater degree of tenderness, at least by word of mouth, than paráklēsis ([G3874], comfort, encouragement) which carries a more general sense of helpfulness and comfort.

Three different words, but back to the first one oikodoméō. The word Oiko means a building. It is used to refer to the house of God. So our word for edify or edification refers to the process of constructing or working ON that building, which we are in Christ.

T&I are never destructive, they are always constructive, why? Because Paul says they Edify the body. Whatever is constructive is Edifying. This is Paul's peculiar use of the word. If one wants to see how he uses it they should read more of his epistles.

Miss, if you don't care to read what I post that is fine. There may be others here that appreciate the time and effort I put into looking into this topic so what I post is not just for you but for others as well. When I say Im confused, Im not trying to be mean or anything,. I am absolutely serious...what you have posted confuses me. Sorry

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.