Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > The Wild Side
Facebook

Notices

The Wild Side Firearms & Hunting; Feed your wild side here!

Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Day at the range

Just got back from the shooting range after too many months without going.

Ruger P95: Jams way too much. Now it DID seem to operate fine with good Hornedy ammo but would get at least two failure-to-ejects per mag with anything else.

Ruger LC9: Small gun and shoots very well despite its size! Worked flawlessly. It DOES have a very "mushy" trigger though and it is hard to anticipate the breaking point when pulling it back.

Glock 19: Surprisingly "snappy" for a 9mm. Thought it would feel smoother but it DID work flawlessly and has a decent feeling trigger.

Ruger SR22: Probably my favorite to shoot.

Ruger 10/22: Also very fun to shoot. Had some jams with a few after market mags but the Ruger BX25's were perfect.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Re: Day at the range

Great!

I went to the range recently and fired an SW 40 VE.

I didn't like it.
The trigger pull is wayyyy to hard.
I was all over the place and could not keep any consistency.

I shot my brothers SW 40 M&P and it was sweet!
My first three shots made Mickey Mouse ears!
Very clean shooting and easy to handle.
No problem with consistency.

Had a GREAT time with my family!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
Great!

I went to the range recently and fired an SW 40 VE.

I didn't like it.
The trigger pull is wayyyy to hard.
I was all over the place and could not keep any consistency.

I shot my brothers SW 40 M&P and it was sweet!
My first three shots made Mickey Mouse ears!
Very clean shooting and easy to handle.
No problem with consistency.

Had a GREAT time with my family!
My wife brought her new Kel Tec sub 2000 which is chambered in 40. That was really nice to fire also (I'm not a big fan of 40 cal pistols otherwise). She also had her Springfield XD 45 (HUGE gun) and Sig.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

I like the 40 myself.
I think my daughter is partial to the SW 357. She also love the SKS!

I have been taking some of the youth out to the range and teaching them safety and marksmanship. They have loved it and so have I! There is a great deal of satisfaction teaching concepts and then watching them learn and seeing what they themselves are able to do! Their eyes light up when they see the holes in the paper! Instant gratification and they love it! I am using two 22 rifles. One is bolt action with open sights the other is magazine fed with a cheap scope from China - hey it was an inexpensive rifle! LOL! Soon I will take them skeet shooting with a Dbl Barrel 20 gauge. That will be a blast! After they are comfortable with all that I will let them use a 30 30, the 40 pistol, and a 12 gauge. There is nothing like seeing those kids eyes light up when they put one in the bulls eye even if they are not yet consistent.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

What do you know about changing the trigger config on the SW 40 VE?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
I like the 40 myself.
I think my daughter is partial to the SW 357. She also love the SKS!

I have been taking some of the youth out to the range and teaching them safety and marksmanship. They have loved it and so have I! There is a great deal of satisfaction teaching concepts and then watching them learn and seeing what they themselves are able to do! Their eyes light up when they see the holes in the paper! Instant gratification and they love it! I am using two 22 rifles. One is bolt action with open sights the other is magazine fed with a cheap scope from China - hey it was an inexpensive rifle! LOL! Soon I will take them skeet shooting with a Dbl Barrel 20 gauge. That will be a blast! After they are comfortable with all that I will let them use a 30 30, the 40 pistol, and a 12 gauge. There is nothing like seeing those kids eyes light up when they put one in the bulls eye even if they are not yet consistent.
That sounds great!

My old pastor (he is still there but we left the church when we moved from AZ to WI) has regular youth events at the range and even bought one particular hard working kid his first 9mm (don't know what brand) as a "thank you!" gift for all the hard work he does at the church.

We/they also hold a regular annual "sports night" which we use as both an outreach (it is HUGELY effective) as well as something for fathers to do do with their sons. When I saw "sports" I'm not referring to baseball, football, or tennis, but specifically hunting, fishing, camping, and firearms in general. Girls are definitely welcome of course but the main thrust of the event is reinforcing "manhood" and allowing boys, and men, to be boys -and men.
(We DO encourage ALL members of the family to hold a certain proficiency in firearms apart from the sporting aspect of it.)

Last edited by RandyWayne; 07-25-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

I'm not familiar with the S&W 40 at all. I will say though that I have heard nothing but good things about stuff coming from them lately.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
That sounds great!

My old pastor (he is still there but we left the church when we moved from AZ to WI) has regular youth events at the range and even bought one particular hard working kid his first 9mm (don't know what brand) as a "thank you!" gift for all the hard work he does at the church.

We/they also hold a regular annual "sports night" which we use as both an outreach (it is HUGELY effective) as well as something for fathers to do do with their sons. When I saw "sports" I'm not referring to baseball, football, or tennis, but specifically hunting, fishing, camping, and firearms in general. Girls are definitely welcome of course but the main thrust of the event is reinforcing "manhood" and allowing boys, and men, to be boys -and men.
(We DO encourage ALL members of the family to hold a certain proficiency in firearms apart from the sporting aspect of it.)

I have been thinking along these lines as well. There is nothing more "manly" than these types of things. It really helps kids connect and helps them mature, they have to or don't get to come. With time I want to expand this some by inviting friends that don't go to church to help build a bridge for them. I enjoy watching the kids expressions and seeing them excited about it!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I'm not familiar with the S&W 40 at all. I will say though that I have heard nothing but good things about stuff coming from them lately.
The SW 40 VE I don't like because of the trigger pull. It is so hard and so long it is impossible for me to be consistent. Now the SW 40 M&P is another story. It is very nice and I was able to make Mickey Mouse ears first three shots!

I will have to save some money and see if I can take the 40 VE down to a gun smith and see what they can do.

Take Care
Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

RandyWayne, do you know anything about the XDs Springfield? Heard it was a good shoot and comfortable in the hand. Thinking about purchasing one. What say ye? .... And by the way, it's hard for me to imagine Pliny in an AFF argument with a SW 40 VE in his hand! just kiddin'!

Been Thinkin

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine

Last edited by BeenThinkin; 07-26-2013 at 10:50 AM.