Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-10-2019, 12:39 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Generational Curses?

Canaan's descendants were under a curse. That curse related to their national destiny to be subservient to the other Shemite, Japhetic, and even (other) Hamitic nations.

Israelites have blessings and curses on them and their generations (mediated by their obedience or disobedience to God, see see Deut 28) which again relates to their national (corporate) destiny.

I don't see any Biblical basis for suggesting say a family tendency towards depression and attempted suicide as being indicative of an actual, scriptural curse that is applied to multiple generations of a particular lineage.

God visiting iniquity means God bringing punishments, not psych problems.

The Bible is clear the offspring of the wicked are destined to failure (see Psalm 109 for an actual generational curse) however it is also clear the offspring of the righteous are destined for blessing and success. What people forget is that this is a two way street. A person can choose to identify with their wicked ancestors, or if they have any can choose to identify with their righteous ancestors (again, if they have any). Moreover, the whole point of regeneration is the blotting out of everything contrary to God. Thus we become NEW CREATURES, the old junk is blotted out and passed away, your record becomes new.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

I mean, even the Canaanite woman had her request met by Christ.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-10-2019, 03:04 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Thank you! Our forum may be small, but it's a valuable resource.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I mean, even the Canaanite woman had her request met by Christ.
That is the whole thing isn't it? Canaan had a curse but through Christ the curse is removed. A eunuch was not to be included among the people of Israel Deuteronomy 23:1. Yet, in the New Israel of God they are fully initiated through baptism in Jesus name Acts 8:26-40. King Hezekiah was warned concerning his lineage that they would become eunuchs Isaiah 39:7, 2 Kings 20:18, and 2 Kings 24:15. People often forget that those of illegitimate birth were excluded from the nation of Israel Deuteronomy 23:2. Everyone close to Jesus knew that His birth was questionable, since His mother went to visit His aunt and came back pregnant. The angel didn't knock on everyone's door to tell them about the virgin birth. His surrogate father Joseph even had to be informed specially in a dream. Yet, generational curse is done away in Christ. All generations were recorded, with their histories, the Bible Old Testament just records a few notable families. Isaiah 53:8 states that the Christ would be considered cursed without descendants Deuteronomy 21:22-23, Joshua 8:29, Joshua 10:26-27 John 19:31, and Galatians 3:13. In Galatians 3:13 the generational curse is removed from all the remnant of Israel which would go through the baptism in Jesus name. All Gentiles would (no matter what their lineage looked like, Moabite, Amalekite, or illegitimate birth) all would be able to believe, and be grafted into the same tree as the Judean/Israelite.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Administrator

The worst thing, to me, about all of this, is that, all of a person's problems are projected as being a curse from God, making Him the cause of all their woes, and hey, if God is against you, what's the point in doing jack about it?

It's a monumental blame-shift, one that proponents, as victims, never have to deal with. They just get to keep on feeling cursed and helpless.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 10-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
The worst thing, to me, about all of this, is that, all of a person's problems are projected as being a curse from God, making Him the cause of all their woes, and hey, if God is against you, what's the point in doing jack about it?

It's a monumental blame-shift, one that proponents, as victims, never have to deal with. They just get to keep on feeling cursed and helpless.

I struggle with this a lot. Feeling cursed and helpless ain't all its cracked up to be.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:24 PM
New User

Yeah, so my cell group leader believes that genetic predispositions are generational curses.

Edit:
He teaches that the curse is from satanas. So, in the OT the curse is from God?

Last edited by diakonos; 10-10-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post

I do believe God takes issue with being labeled as the wife beater Job 42:7.

I'm going through some super hard challenges right now. Been out of work for a month because of ulcerative colitis (which has subsided amazingly) and received a pretty good size hernia (which I'm working through. Those who hate me are dancing the dance of joy, and those who love me are weeping with me. The haters have ran from Dan to Beersheba on shredding me, and they make it known to all who would give them audience. Yet, the focus is to walk on the water towards Jesus, no matter how much the winds blow, and the waves grow. "We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose" Romans 8:28. My best and greatest day when I was in the world lost, cannot even match my most horrible day in Christ. I have been told I was cursed when I was young, and had step parents who worked hard to prove it. I lived and worked in a world without Jesus Christ as my focus. But when I found the real Jesus Christ, and His overcoming power the curse lifted. When I went down in the water in Jesus name, and came up it was the best thing that ever happened. No matter what happens to me, if everyone leaves me for dead, if I was buried under the weight of illness and debt, Jesus is still giving out the Holy Ghost, and I'm still going to stay in that direction. The devil may fire the oven seven times hotter, but Jesus is still here to walk us through the blazing heat! Praise His MIGHTY NAME!!!!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Yeah, so my cell group leader believes that genetic predispositions are generational curses.
Well, he is...WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Edit:
He teaches that the curse is from satanas. So, in the OT the curse is from God?
Well, pray for the brother, that Jesus will help him learn more. He may be watching a little too much Jesse Duplantis, and reading some Derick Prince of Darkness. OT God hands out punishments and rewards. You drive the speed limit, and get no points on your license. You drive angry, and end up losing your license. Choice is yours, God didn't want it that way, He wants us to be able to afford car insurance and drive to work legally. It's entirely up to us. God showered Israel with blessing, but Israel chose to be stupid, and play God for a fool. They ended up in captivity because of their own foolishness.

I always tell this story, a guy is walking through the woods and he hears someone sobbing. He looks to find the distraught soul, so he follows the sounds of weeping and wailing. He comes to an individual sitting on a hollow log. He looks closer and it's the devil! He then asks the devil, "why are you crying? You are the devil!" The devil looks up from his swollen tear soaked eyes, and replies "everyone blames me! It isn't always my fault, I don't have the power I use to have before the cross, burial, and His resurrection! But they all still keep blaming me, for their crimes!!!!"

We are no longer slaves to sin, we are more than overcomers in Christ. Yeah, we have hard times, but your strength won't increase unless you put some weight on the bar. Lift heavy, don't ever be afraid of the weight. Lift smart, and grow strong in Jesus name.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 PM
New User

Bro, a group of guys tried to convince me that David Wilkerson was “oneness.” I don’t like getting into these discussions because no one is willing to reason. They just want to prove a point- well, you know.

So, I try to keep out of it... then i’m told, “You never speak.” *shrugs