Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Playground > The Shopping Mall
Facebook

Notices

The Shopping Mall Find a great deal online? Share it here... Also the place to find links for consumer help sites, etc ...

Old 05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Re: Holiness Swim Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
You make a good point.

Even though the attire on link is certainly not my style.
Whoever got women to disrobe to swim and then pressure other women to disrobe to swim must have been a male genius who owned a pair of binoculars. But, most of us wouldn't look that great in a bikini anymore and the world should be passing out wholesome wear swimsuits by the dozens.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Whoever got women to disrobe to swim and then pressure other women to disrobe to swim must have been a male genius who owned a pair of binoculars. But, most of us wouldn't look that great in a bikini anymore and the world should be passing out wholesome wear swimsuits by the dozens.
Ha Right!

But how much covering up? What makes it "wholesome?"
Old 05-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ha Right!

But how much covering up? What makes it "wholesome?"
I think women should be taught not to disrobe more than they are comfortable with. When I was growing up, I wore a bikini to the beach every day and in the spring, my girlfriends and I always felt naked and oogled until everyone got used to it for the year. There seems to be a problem in our culture there. We wore what was sold as "right" for us to wear. Changing that societal trend would be incredibly difficult at this late date.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think women should be taught not to disrobe more than they are comfortable with. When I was growing up, I wore a bikini to the beach every day and in the spring, my girlfriends and I always felt naked and oogled until everyone got used to it for the year. There seems to be a problem in our culture there. We wore what was sold as "right" for us to wear. Changing that societal trend would be incredibly difficult at this late date.
It's just a subjective matter of personal comfort?

Good point about societal trend. But there must be some discretion about bathing suits -- which are overboard and which aren't. Do believers on here, that wear bathing suits, sport thong bikinis? What are you personal guidelines there?

What about the comfort/discomfort of others? Beaches are hijacked by practically nude people. Others would say "don't go to the beach" -- but that doesn't seem fair. Everyone should be able to enjoy the beach. Should we expand nude beaches, and then have more conservatively-dressed beaches as well? But I'm not sure what "conservatively dressed" beaches would even look like. Surely not the image that started this thread.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It's just a subjective matter of personal comfort?

Good point about societal trend. But there must be some discretion about bathing suits -- which are overboard and which aren't. Do believers on here, that wear bathing suits, sport thong bikinis? What are you personal guidelines there?

What about the comfort/discomfort of others? Beaches are hijacked by practically nude people. Others would say "don't go to the beach" -- but that doesn't seem fair. Everyone should be able to enjoy the beach. Should we expand nude beaches, and then have more conservatively-dressed beaches as well? But I'm not sure what "conservatively dressed" beaches would even look like. Surely not the image that started this thread.
I think it is largely subjective. If every woman did only what she was truly comfortable with regardless of societal pressure, it is hard to say what beaches would look like. I know I did not understand anything about male "visual" issues until long after I was married. Mostly, I think it is hard for women to understand. I think women should try and be respectful to male battles and men should be respectful to women's battles. It's not a perfect world. No matter what people do in any direction, someone will be offended.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

well first of all, my wife does wear a swim suit, but she also always if anyone else is around wears a cover, that comes to her knees, and also on a water slide would wear a pair of my jogging shorts, also to her knees under the cover and over the suit, dt
Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
true and funny, a perfect match, lol
Old 05-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividedThigh View Post
well first of all, my wife does wear a swim suit, but she also always if anyone else is around wears a cover, that comes to her knees, and also on a water slide would wear a pair of my jogging shorts, also to her knees under the cover and over the suit, dt
Anyone other than you being around? Okay with family, close friends?

Jogging shorts on a water slide? Isn't that dangerous?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
For whatever weird reason, I was thinking about this thread when I woke up this morning. I tend to do that a lot. I'm strange.

Anyway, the brilliant thought that was banging around in my brain is this:

It's not how much skin you have covered that makes people stare and think you're weird. It just comes down to appropriate and inappropriate attire. You could wear a wet suit which covers you from your wrists, to your neck, to your ankles. Wear that at the ocean, and no one will give you a second glance. Wear a three-piece suit and tie, and jump in, and everyone's eyes will bug out. Wear a three-piece suit and tie to Six Flags and people will do a double take. Wear jeans and a t-shirt to Six Flags, and no one will notice you're there. It's not the amount of skin that's 'not' showing, it's just that some attire has specific uses, and if you wear it to a place where it doesn't 'suit the occasion', people will notice.

I wouldn't wear a prom dress to go hiking, and I wouldn't wear hiking boots and denim to the prom. We have attire that we think is appropriate for certain occasions.

So, MissB, I doubt that very many people find it odd when you and your daughters wear long swim shorts and rash guard shirts. That's appropriate attire for the water. But denim does get glances because everyone knows how heavy it gets in water, plus most people think it's weird to swim in everyday clothes.

Of course it's a free country, and we can all do what we want. As a matter of fact, I was wading in a stream just a few days ago, in a jean skirt. I didn't care what anyone thought at the time. But, there's no sense in denying that some people might think it's weird, and for good reason. Not because too much skin was covered, and they think that's strange.... no, just because it's not appropriate attire for the occasion.
Great post! It really is about appropriate as opposed to inappropriate (standing out for the purpose of standing out). If your going to stand out, stand out for the RIGHT reasons not just to be "different", or because you look like a freak.

Some INappropriate swimwear.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
I think you hit the definition of modesty on the head.

However, how much it too much skin? Should followers of Jesus parade around almost naked? Thong bikini? Two piece or one? Shorts and t-shirt?

Love is more important than liberty (Romans 14). Which shows more love for one another?

Just questions.
I think the guideline for this should be the same guideline I live the rest of my life by..... 'Love God, Love Your Neighbor'. Regarding swimsuits, I still have the guideline that I wouldn't want to cause a weak brother to stumble.

If I'm going to be around a godly man, and he's going to have to avert his eyes to keep from seeing things that make him feel uncomfortable.... then I'd feel I was dressed immodestly.

I think MissB's solution of swim shorts and rash guard shirts is a great solution. I've also seen swimsuits that have pretty high necklines... coupled with swim shorts, they can be pretty modest.

I don't think the Bible declares how much skin is too much, so I think it falls under the heading of consideration for those around us. Most of us have the common sense to know when we're showing too much.