Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters > Islamic Issues and News
Facebook

Notices

Islamic Issues and News Discuss Islam and report on current issues regarding Islam

Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 PM
The "Light"House

Re: Does this scare anyone?

So uh, who didn't do their research?
Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. (Romans 1:32 KJV)

So stop trying justify your sin, grow up, and deal with it like an adult should.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 AM
Go Dodgers!

Ridiculous.

Allah is an Arabic word not a Hebrew word.

Just because two words sound similar in different languages does not mean there is a correlation

And he missed it on the whole 666 deal.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:38 AM
Go Dodgers!

BTW you have to be selective to choose the one that sounds the most derogatory and ignore the others

421. אָלָה alah (46d); a prim. root; to wail:—wail(1).

422. אָלָה alah (46d); a prim. root; to swear, curse:—oaths(1), put the under oath(1), swearing(1), take(2), takes an oath(2), under oath(1), uttered a curse(1).

423. אָלָה alah (46d); from 422; an oath:—adjuration(1), curse(12), curses(6), oath(13).

Thomas, R. L. (1998). New American Standard Hebrew-Aramaic and Greek dictionaries : Updated edition. Anaheim: Foundation Publications, Inc.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 AM
Go Dodgers!

94 אָלָה (ʾālâ) II, to swear, make a solemn oath. (RSV is generally better in translation than ASV, i.e. “laid an oath on” preferable to “adjured,” I Sam 14:24). The term is used in expressing solemn oaths between men and between God and man.

Derivatives

94a אָלָה (ʾālâ) an oath, solemn statement, promise, curse (for broken oath), occurring more frequently than the verb.
94b תַּאֲלָה (taʾălâ) curse (punishment for broken oath), only once, Lam 3:65.

אָלָה (ʾālâ). Oath. In its most basic form we see the noun used in the sense of a solemn promise between men (Gen 24:41; 26:28). For that reason it is also applied to solemn statements of testimony given in court (Lev 5:1;Prov 29:24) and before God (Num 5:21ff.; Jud 17:2; I Kgs 8:31; I Sam 14:24; Neh 10:29 [H 30]; Ezk 16:59; 17:13ff.).

From this we can see how it was used to express the very solemn covenant between God and his people (Deut 29:12 [H 11]) and more particularly, the warnings of judgment attached to that covenant should the people prove to be faithless (Deut 29:14–21 [H 13–20]). It is used in this latter sense also in Isa 24:6; Jer 23:10; 29:18; 42:18; 44:12 and Dan 9:11.

Scott, J. B. (1999). 94 אָלָה. In R. L. Harris, G. L. Archer, Jr. & B. K. Waltke (Eds.), Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (R. L. Harris, G. L. Archer, Jr. & B. K. Waltke, Ed.) (electronic ed.) (45). Chicago: Moody Press.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

I agree Praxeas that there are multiple uses for the word in both the Hebrew and the Greek but just wanted to point out that it was translated curse multiple times and as I stated that was one of my favorite memories of Greek class in bible college. Lol. I could not resist sharing the memory.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Before you accuse someone else being a follower or of not studying you should study that word some more.

H423

Original: אלה

Transliteration: 'âlâh

Phonetic: aw-law'

BDB Definition:

oath
oath of covenant
curse
from God
from men
execration
Origin: from H422

TWOT entry: 91a

Part(s) of speech: Noun Feminine

Strong's Definition: From H422; an imprecation: -

H422

Original: אלה

Transliteration: 'âlâh

Phonetic: aw-law'

BDB Definition:

to swear, curse
(Qal)
to swear, take an oath (before God)
to curse
(Hiphil)
to put under oath, adjure
to put under a curse
Origin: a primitive root

TWOT entry: 94

Part(s) of speech: Verb

Strong's Definition: A primitive root; properly to adjure, that is, (usually in a bad sense) imprecate: - adjure, curse, swear

My personal favorite definition of the word allah in the bible is its usage in the Greek:

G235

Original: ἀλλά

Transliteration: alla

Phonetic: al-lah'

Thayer Definition:

BUT

Even though it is the conjunction form of the word. This is still hysterical.
OK sport here you go. You pick and choose. I choose the Hebrew.

Source:The NAS Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon

Strong's Number: 5927

Transliterated Word

`alah

NAS Verse Count (number of verses it was used in)

Genesis 47
Exodus 59
Leviticus 13
Numbers 37
Deuteronomy 30
Joshua 47
Judges 60
Ruth 1
1 Samuel 62
2 Samuel 30
1 Kings 47
2 Kings 51
1 Chronicles 22
2 Chronicles 50
Ezra 13
Nehemiah 13
Job 8
Psalms 23
Proverbs 7
Ecclesiastes 2
Solomon 5
Isaiah 37
Jeremiah 63
Lamentations 2
Ezekiel 38
Daniel 3
Hosea 7
Joel 6
Amos 11
Obadiah 1
Jonah 4
Micah 3
Nahum 3
Habakkuk 2
Haggai 1
Zechariah 5

Total 813

NAS Word Usage - Total: 884 (number of times the word was used)

The English interpretations in the verses and number of times the interpretation was used:

all means go 1, approach 1, arise 2, arose 1, ascend 12, ascended 10, ascending 2, ascends 2, ascent 1, attack 2, been 1, blow away 1, breaking 1, bring 33, bring them back 1, bringing 2, brings 1, brought 66, burn 2, burnt offerings 1, came 67, came back 1, carried 2, carried away 1, carry 3, cast 1, charging 1, chew 4, chews 5, climb 4, climbed 1, climbs 2, come 83, comes 2, coming 12, dawn* 1, dawned 1, depart 1, enter 1, entered 1, erected 1, evaporated 1, exalt 1, exalted 2, excel 1, falls 1, fell 2, get 1, get back 1, give off 1, go 140, goes 6, going 8, gone 18, gone away 2, got back 1, grew 3, grow 2, grow back 1, grows 1, imported* 2, incite 1, included 1, invaded 2, jump 1, lead 1, left 1, levied 3, lie 1, lift 1, lifted 10, lighted 1, made 1, marching 1, mating 2, mount 9, mounted 2, offer 29, offered 34, offering 10, offers 3, ornamented* 1, overgrown 1, placed 1, progressed 1, prompts* 1, put 2, raged 2, raised 1, raises 1, reached 1, reaches 1, recorded 1, restore 1, restored 1, rise 10, rises 7, rising 1, rose 4, scales 1, set 1, sets 2, sprang 1, spring 2, sprout 1, stacking 1, stirs 1, surely bring 1, take 3, take me away 1, taken 4, thrown 1, took 4, trims 1, using 4, vanish 1, wear 1, went 161, went away 1, withdraw 3, withdrawn 1, withdrew 1, worked 1

So this term was used 884 times in the bible in 813 different verses.

So with this in mind, which of these meanings is reflected in the original post?

Last edited by Walks_in_islam; 02-27-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Banned

ok wow. these are all the different translations of the term Allah in the Bible from the Hebrew? That almost defies sense.

Last edited by shazeep; 02-27-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
ok wow. these are all the different translations of the term Allah in the Bible from the Hebrew? That almost defies sense.
Seems to be but perhaps "dr studious" can come back into the thread and enlighten us. After all he may have a bible college degree or something which is prerequisite for the ability to discern that actual words do not mean what they say, they mean something else that takes a divine anointing from the Most High himself to tell us that OH, yeah, it says this BUT BUT BUT pass the plate it was really intended to mean something completely different.

Bleh

Allah does not derive from Alah - the term derives from al- ilāh, based on the Aramaic Ĕlāhā ܐܠܗܐ or Syriac ʼAlâhâ ܐܲܠܵܗܵܐ , both and all terms for the same one unique supreme deity.

Ilah (Elah) appears to be, at least in one version, who knows if it is the right one, the name called by Jesus from his cross. Some genius on here awhile back declared that calling this out meant Jesus got saved because he was speaking in tongues. Wow I know right?

The Aramaic word for "God" in the language of Assyrian Christians is ʼĔlāhā, or Alaha
Elahi (אלהי) is Aramaic and means "My God" the (I) = "my". Appears that Ezra and Daniel (oops, once in Jeremiah) only use this term. How it got into the gospel of Mark? Who knows.

"Allah" predates the Quran, the Prophet, and Islam

.....ancient Pre-Islamic inscriptions and tombs made by Arabic-speaking Christians in the ruins of a church at Umm el-Jimal in Northern Jordan, which contained references to Allah as the proper name of God, and some of the graves contained names such as "Abd Allah" which means "the servant/slave of Allah (James Bellamy, ‘Two Pre-Islamic Arabic Inscriptions Revised: Jabal Ramm and Umm al-Jimal’, Journal of the American Oriental Society, 108/3 (1988))

The name Allah can be found countless times in the reports and the lists of names of Christian martyrs in South Arabia, as reported by antique Syriac documents of the names of those martyrs from the era of the Himyarite & Aksumite kingdoms (Ignatius Ya`qub III, The Arab Himyarite Martyrs in the Syriac Documents (1966), Pages: 9-65-66-89)

In Pre-Islamic Gospels, the name used for God was "Allah", as evidenced by some discovered Arabic versions of the New Testament written by Arab Christians during the Pre-Islamic era in Northern and Southern Arabia (Michael Macdonald, Personal Names in the Nabataean Realm-Journal Of Semitic Studies (1999), Page: 271)

Summary: Perhaps we should not mock each other's references to God - at least not just yet

Last edited by Walks_in_islam; 02-28-2014 at 01:34 AM.