Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Re: Different Types of Apostolic Churches

Saw this a while back. My experience may be more limited among them but the ones I HAVE seen or heard of SEEM to be pretty much the same.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Saw this a while back. My experience may be more limited among them but the ones I HAVE seen or heard of SEEM to be pretty much the same.
All the churches you know of seem to be similar?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
All the churches you know of seem to be similar?
Pretty much. On foundation doctrine they teach Acts 2:38 and of course Oneness. Almost all believe in immortal soul and never ending torment in Hell. Almost all teach pre trib rapture. The very few that teach post trib (in my experience) never mention it.

I was driving 75 miles one way to a Church that believes in post trib. After around 5 months the Pastor had never taught on it once or even mentioned it. We had simultaneously been attending a Church on and off in our area 12 miles away. They were pre trib.

Both of these Pastors teach almost the same message all the time. You could not tell any difference between the two so we gave up on the one 75 miles away.

Both groups oppose beards on men. One told me he does not "favor" beards the other allows them but in a "platform standards" context. Both of them oppose women trimming hair and or wearing pants.

Neither one of them teach Biblical perfection.

The praise and worship is almost exactly the same. Mostly contemporary music trying to mix in an "Apostolic" feel.

There is no testimony time in either group. People are exhorted to witness to the lost but there is no outreach strategy. A few women in the pre trib Church do a Church Bus ministry for children.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM
New User

Quote:
Pretty much. On foundation doctrine they teach Acts 2:38 and of course Oneness. Almost all believe in immortal soul and never ending torment in Hell. Almost all teach pre trib rapture. The very few that teach post trib (in my experience) never mention it.
Fairly accurate assessment.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

There are a few little apostolic churches in my area and they are usually less than 50 people, the revelation of Jesus is preached and that is great but legalism steps in and before the fish gets in the boat they try and clean them up they feed them steak instead of milk and it runs them off, somebody coming in from a life of drugs or sexual perversion needs a little time to grow but if they see a lady in a short shirt that is the sermon a man with a beard or long hair it’s about hair and a shame That turned me off from those church’s but not the revelation of Jesus Christ and Acts 2:38 nobody can take that truth from me let God change the heart of a person and if showed love one of the greatest commandments then they might add that fish to the tank
Old 07-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Hi KTC,

Welcome to the forum! Are you still going to an Apostolic Church?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

No I’m visiting different churches mostly Church of God’s they believe in the Holy Ghost and are mostly older people who know how to really worship and allow God to move
Old 07-17-2019, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktc1jesus View Post
There are a few little apostolic churches in my area and they are usually less than 50 people, the revelation of Jesus is preached and that is great but legalism steps in and before the fish gets in the boat they try and clean them up they feed them steak instead of milk and it runs them off, somebody coming in from a life of drugs or sexual perversion needs a little time to grow but if they see a lady in a short shirt that is the sermon a man with a beard or long hair it’s about hair and a shame That turned me off from those church’s but not the revelation of Jesus Christ and Acts 2:38 nobody can take that truth from me let God change the heart of a person and if showed love one of the greatest commandments then they might add that fish to the tank
It isn't uncommon that stories like these surface. I know that some Apostolic churches get caught up in cleaning the fish before its battered. They want them to look "holy", but don't seem to show great concern for their inner holiness.

That's sad. Inner and outer holiness are equally essential. The Lord requires both. Let the babies come in, give them milk, and let the Holy Ghost and preacher's guidance do the rest. They'll get there, some faster than others.

Now, standards are a different discussion. I, for one, was against "church standards" for a long time, but no longer. We need them. It's important for our pastors to set standards for their pulpits as to what is and isn't alright to stand in front of the congregation. If the standards in the pulpit fall, it won't be long and the standards in the pews will be lower, too.

No new convert will have standards higher than someone on the platform. It's not going to happen.

We need to allow people to grow and fall in love with separation, holiness, and modesty, not choke them with it. I've been there. I rejected any kind of holiness at one time because I hung around with a crowd that believed holiness was consumed with outward standards and convictions. That's certainly a part of it, but love comes first and foremost.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktc1jesus View Post
No I’m visiting different churches mostly Church of God’s they believe in the Holy Ghost and are mostly older people who know how to really worship and allow God to move
The Church of God churches in my area have went astray, and badly.

No holiness. No separation. Rare, if any, move of God or the spiritual gifts. They've backslid.

I'd encourage to find a Bible-preaching, Holy Ghost-filled Apostolic church that preaches the Truth with love and compassion for lost souls.