Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Re: DKB Shares His Vision: Apostolic Identity,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Somewhere missing is the ultimate mission of the church -- simply:

1) GO
2) Teach
3) Make disciples
4) Baptize

and empowering this mission is the Spirit. Fueling the Mission is the Jesus Creed: Love God, Love your neighbor.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:26 AM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

The question that keeps arising .... that is linked to DKB's remarks on needing more exposure is whether the axiom in traditional Apostolic Pentecost is true:

Does everyone want what we have?

I found this recent piece by NinetyandNine in which the staff and contributors speak to the changes and challenges in the movement during this decadal transition. Apostolic identity surfaces with regularity in their opinions.

Some compare with Bernard ... one UGST associate professor, unsurprisingly, echoes DKB's Apostolic Identity mantra verbatim ..... while some contrast greatly as to the challenges facing the Apostolic church in the next decade.

http://www.ninetyandnine.com/Archive...1214/cover.htm

I marvel at NinetyNine's executive editor Kent D'Curry's remarks as to the greatest challenge to be linked to Apostolic identity but probably not what DKB wants to hear:

The Apostolic Movement’s biggest challenge in the coming decade is:

Quote:
I’m unconvinced we’ve solidified the most important aspects of our Apostolic identity for the 21st Century.

That might be the result of the yawning generation gap. What most senior leaders seem oblivious to is experienced as an impassable abyss by a majority of the under 40 crowd. Everything from church music to the use of technology to reaching souls to standards to belonging to an organization is understood differently. Can it be overcome? Of course. But first it must be recognized for what it is.
Has the abyss, as D'Curry has stated .... become IMPASSABLE? Is the senior leadership oblivious? Apostolic Identity not solidified?

Also noteworthy in my opinion were these words by Verlon Blackwell, part of that under 40 crowd, as to the greatest challenge:

Quote:
Not only seeing, but also being willing to make the necessary changes for both spiritual and numerical growth. In North America, while the Pentecostal movement itself is growing, the traditional Apostolic movement has had little-to-no growth.
Change is here.

Last edited by DAII; 01-18-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Accepts all friends requests

There does seem to be a lot of pressure to maintain the gains made by one faction over the past generation. I wonder what would happen if folks got more involved with what the Bible has to say and dwelt less on the "bifurcated garment" type issues.

I remember one pastor's wife who was terribly up in arms over a couple of guys with "facial hair." She asked me what they should do. "Sit them down and teach them a Bible study on the issue of men's facial hair," I offered.

She stared at me for several seconds with the most dumb-struck expression. The idea of using the Bible for Christian discipleship simply left her dumb-struck.

"The Bible! Can you imagine that?"

Last edited by pelathais; 01-18-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Oh my goodness, guess what? Hardly anyone I know cares what you think about anything. DKB loves God and is more Apostolic in one skin cell than you are in your entire body frame. Just sayin'.......

Lord, I see I need to totally take a break. You are most annoying, like a horse fly. Have fun on AFF, Danny Boy. You have a platform.
Would totaly agree with this. DA has OCD of the UPCI and anything associated with it. It's really quite alarming.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

i know all want what i have, i dont have pente anything, i have Jesus, in my heart, dt
Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother David View Post
I remember one pastor's wife who was terribly up in arms over a couple of guys with "facial hair." She asked me what they should do. "Sit them down and teach them a Bible study on the issue of men's facial hair," I offered.

She stared at me for several seconds with the most dumb-struck expression. The idea of using the Bible for Christian discipleship simply left her dumb-struck.

"The Bible! Can you imagine that?"
This is where most cloths-line preachers will come back with "Well, we don't find any Bible for NOT shooting up with heroin do we?".
Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

BUMP
Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Scripture > Tradition

You should come up with a linguistic/visual meme based on the Bourne Identity or something to really make it stick like you did with branding the HMH issue like the way you did to make everyone who actually believed it to flee in terror to be associated with in either as a term or doctrine.

Name-calling is the last resort of an exhausted mind.

When people have the facts, they argue the facts.

When they don't have the facts, they call names.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocrypha View Post
You should come up with a linguistic/visual meme based on the Bourne Identity or something to really make it stick like you did with branding the HMH issue like the way you did to make everyone who actually believed it to flee in terror to be associated with in either as a term or doctrine.
OR we could all just discuss it logically without attacking the poster who started the thread.

Just an idea. I know it's not as much fun.
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 01-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Scripture > Tradition

I wasn't attacking a poster. I get a kick outta DA and how he goes after issues. Calling the uncut/power with angels doctrine Holy Magic Hair was a great meme. It made a silly and trivial doctrine look silly and trivial. He should do the same with the apostolic identity stuff and give a good counter-programming idea virus.

I mean seriously.. our identity is in Christ... not in a denomination or a movement thats only 100 and change years old.

Name-calling is the last resort of an exhausted mind.

When people have the facts, they argue the facts.

When they don't have the facts, they call names.