Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM
My Family!

Re: What was Paul's Thorn? What's yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAII View Post
Fly swatter, please.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

I think Paul's thorn in the flesh was health related. I don't doubt that after so many beatings and trials that he might have had some health related issues. Perhaps he had an eye disease. But something relating to health. I'm sure he saw others healed, but after praying for his healing, the Lord's answer was "No." We've all been there.

As for my personal "thorn in the flesh". Hmmmm... I'm a healthy man, I've struggled with lust, probably as much as any other man has. I get the victory. But I've prayed that I completely over come it, but it seems to eventually return for a season until I take it to the altar again. I've struggled with anger, hurt, and bitterness over the way I've been treated family, friends, previous pastoral leadership, etc. Sometimes it causes me to love my spiritual leadership from a distance, when in my heart, I want to be closer. Causes me to be overly sensitive and distrusting sometimes.

That's the darker side of me. Say a prayer for me if you think about it.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I think Paul's thorn in the flesh was health related.
I believe it was his inability to forgive himself and the condemnation that plaqued him for persecuting the early church. You do remember he stood by while Stephen was stoned to death?

"And cast [him] out of the city, and stoned [him]: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul." Acts 7:58

What regret to be an accomplice to murder only to find out you were wrong all along! And what a weight to carry that Stephen could have been a strong and dependable force to help build the NT church, but he was gone, murdered.

Heavy weight to carry, IMO.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Don't ask.

My thorn is AFF.

AFF's thorn is me.

Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I believe it was his inability to forgive himself and the condemnation that plaqued him for persecuting the early church. You do remember he stood by while Stephen was stoned to death?

"And cast [him] out of the city, and stoned [him]: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul." Acts 7:58

What regret to be an accomplice to murder only to find out you were wrong all along! And what a weight to carry that Stephen could have been a strong and dependable force to help build the NT church, but he was gone, murdered.

Heavy weight to carry, IMO.
Very true.

Perhaps Paul's thorn in the flesh was a combination of all these things... his very humanity. I can see how Paul would have much regret from the past. I can see how Paul may have had health issues. I can see how Paul may have faced temptations being unmarried and traveling. I can see how Paul faced many foes who troubled him. I can see how Paul may have struggled with being too abrasive.

However, I don't think Paul had poor speaking ability. He was a member of the Sanhedrin. He also sat at the feet of Gamaliel. Lastly Paul quotes several Greek philosphers in the Epistles, meaning Paul was well versed in rhetoric and sophist oratory. Some have postulated that Paul was married to the high priest's daughter and that they divorced after his conversion. If these things are true.... Paul was most likely a brilliant man on par with Socrates and Plato. Perhaps even the greatest mind on earth during the Apostolic era.

One thing not mentioned that I just thought of... Paul may have been deeply troubled emotionally over the loss of his spouse if divorced or widowed.

Maybe Paul's "thorn" wasn't so much a single issue... but his imperfection. His struggles in the flesh (his humanity) wherein all these things played a part.

If we're honest, do not most of us have more than one thorn in the flesh? Daily we struggle with our humanity as it's frailty and imperfection is revealed in one way or another be it regret, guilt, shame, sickness, conflicts with others, personality flaws, or lust.

Maybe Paul's thorn was wanting to be like Jesus... and finding it impossible in one way or another. The Lord allowing this accusing spirit to throw Paul's weakness in his face daily in one way or another. Why? That he might remain humbled, for God's grace is sufficient in our weakness. (Indication of a propensity towards "spiritual pride"? Perhaps.)

Maybe some preachers and evangelists posting here can relate to this.

Last edited by Aquila; 09-23-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
My thorn is AFF.

AFF's thorn is me.

LOL!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I think God led Paul to ambiguous here on purpose to help encourage us. We are all a work in progress-- even Paul was while he was alive.

I am single so my thorn is whatever you think it probably is for a single 33 year old male. Coupled with loneliness and low self esteem, it can make for some very low lows in a persons life.

Where would I be if not for the Grace of God.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAII View Post
They don't have to necessary exchange it ... I'm pretty good at figuring things and buttons out.
You are an expert button pusher!
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

If enough for me to have hope in sufficient grace for my weakness', knowing that Paul the Apostle and writer of a large portion of the Epistles was a man with weakness' also.
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 09-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Saved & Shaved

Remove a thorn only to fall into a rose bush. Major thing gone, now it's a bunch of small things!