Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

Cosmetics???

Ok folks I've doing a little research on what the bible says about makeup and such. This not let's fight over standards thread, I just want others input ont he subject.

Let me start it off.

Isa 3:16

16 Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:
KJV

[And wanton eyes] "And falsely setting off their eyes with paint." Hebrew, falsifying their eyes. I take this to be the true meaning and literal rendering of the word; from shaaqar. The Masoretes have pointed it, as if it were from saaqar, a different word. This arose, as I imagine, from their supposing that the word was the same with saaqar, Chaldee, "intueri, innuere oculis;" or that it had an affinity with the noun sikra, which the Chaldeans, or the rabbis at least, use for stibium, the mineral which was commonly used in colouring the eyes. See Jarchi's comment on the place. Though the colouring of the eyes with stibium be not particularly here expressed, yet I suppose it to be implied; and so the Chaldee paraphrase explains it; stibio linitis oculis, "with eyes dressed with stibium." This fashion seems to have prevailed very generally among the Eastern people in ancient times; and they retain the very same to this day.
(from Adam Clarke's Commentary, Electronic Database. Copyright © 1996, 2003 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Are wanton eyes sin? and is it painting them as Adam Clarke says?
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

Re: Cosmetics???

[And wanton eyes] uwmsaqrowt `eeynaayim. The word shaaqar usually means "to lie, to deceive," and may here refer to the art of alluring by a wanton or fascinating glance of the eye. There has been great diversity of opinion about the meaning of this expression. Lowth proposes to read it, 'and falsely setting off their eyes with paint,' in allusion to a custom known to prevail in the East, of coloring the eye-lids with stibium, or the powder of lead ore. This was done the better to exhibit the white of the eye, and was supposed by many to contribute to the healthful action of the eye itself. This practice is known to prevail extensively now; but it is not clear that the prophet here has reference to it. The expression is usually interpreted to mean 'deceiving with the eyes,' that is, "alluring" or "enticing" by the motion of the eyes. The "motion" of the eyes is mentioned (Prov 6:13-14) as one mode of "deceiving" a person:

He winketh with his eyes,
He speaketh with his feet,
He teacheth with his fingers;
Frowardness is in his heart,
He deviseth mischief continually.

Compare the notes at Job 42:14. The meaning here, doubtless, is, that they attempted to entice by the "motion" or "glance" of the eye. The Chaldee seems to have understood this of staining the eyes with stibium.
(from Barnes' Notes, Electronic Database Copyright © 1997, 2003 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Sister Alvear

I have black shadows from not getting enough sleep...does that count? ha...
I know you are serious...I am just joking with you.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Sister Alvear

What about those little false buttons (?) I see on men's cuff's...not shinning silver or gold but purple, green, blue and even pink...sure doesn't look like a button but a decoration...I already told my son that stuff looks awful worldly to me...I just don't think men ought to wear that stuff... You know that is false too...and all that gel men put on their hair I really think that is worldly...and those silk neckties oughta go...

Well, I got up in a teasing mode...

NOW let me say something serious if I can without revealing who I am talking about...

Why do people even want to be false? The LORD hates every false way. I will answer my own question...people portray a false holiness sometimes because of peer pressure...preach against videos where they can get a lot of points and go on trips and take video cameras...preach against videos and go home and watch your tube...

If we really knew how strong politics are in the Apostolic Pentecostal church we would tremble. All those pats on the back thoses political sermons and connections...

I need say no more...

Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Sister Alvear

Let me say a little more...One preacher told me how he disliked preacher x...and low and behold when his special service came around preacher x was one of the speakers...I mentioned I thought you didn't like preacher x...well...well...he beat around the bush...I knew what it was..politics...

The more I know the further I want to get away from things like that...

Old 03-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Sister Alvear

sorry...got off track..

Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 AM
My Family!

Better watch out for the tinkling feet too!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Well, I for one will not use eye shadow. hmmm... unless that camo stuff used for hunting counts.

But I agree with Sister A - get rid of the ties. What's with those things any way? And every sort of do-bob and bo-dangle. T-Shirts and Blues jeans are the most appropriate "uniform" for the Apostolic gentleman.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
Well, I for one will not use eye shadow. hmmm... unless that camo stuff used for hunting counts.

But I agree with Sister A - get rid of the ties. What's with those things any way? And every sort of do-bob and bo-dangle. T-Shirts and Blues jeans are the most appropriate "uniform" for the Apostolic gentleman.
Well, OK, but the jeans can't have any decorative stitching on the pockets. And the T-shirts: nothing printed on them, but that goes without saying.

Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Sister Alvear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post

boy oh boy that camo stuff is misleading!