Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-06-2018, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Jonah Was a Jerk!

Sometimes you believe you know the story and then when you're reading it again, something new gets your attention.

"""The word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai saying, “Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and cry against it, for their wickedness has come up before Me.” But Jonah rose up to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD. So he went down to Joppa, found a ship which was going to Tarshish, paid the fare and went down into it to go with them to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD."""

I've always heard it preached that Ninevah was a wicked city and Jonah fled to Tarshish because he was afraid to go to Ninevah due to the cruelty and violence against the prophets.

Until I read today:

"""Then Jonah began to go through the city one day’s walk; and he cried out and said, “Yet forty days and Nineveh will be overthrown.”""

"""Then the people of Nineveh believed in God; and they called a fast and put on sackcloth from the greatest to the least of them"""

"""When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it."""

Jonah finally went to Ninevah and preached judgment. Incredibly the whole city turned to God! Awesome!

So how does Jonah respond?

"""But it greatly displeased Jonah and he became angry."""

I've known this part. Jonah preached, Ninevah repented and turned to God and then Jonah got angry because God didn't destroy Ninevah anyway. Jonah must be the only prophet, minister, evangelist, pastor, etc who became angry over people getting saved, much less 120,000 people!

Here's what I've probably read a hundred times and just passed over without much thought until today:

"""He prayed to the LORD and said, “Please LORD, was not this what I said while I was still in my own country? Therefore in order to forestall this I fled to Tarshish, for I knew that You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, and one who relents concerning calamity."""

Jonah was a jerk! He didn't flee to Tarshish because he was afraid of how evil and cruel the Ninevites were. He fled because he knew God would forgive and have mercy on Ninevah and he wanted it destroyed!
Old 08-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Saved & Shaved

Re: Jonah Was a Jerk!

This will become preacher bashing thread in

3... 2...
Old 08-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Jonah was a jerk! He didn't flee to Tarshish because he was afraid of how evil and cruel the Ninevites were. He fled because he knew God would forgive and have mercy on Nineveh and he wanted it destroyed!
Foreshadowing the Judeans dispising the Romans coming into the church. So much that they wanted them to be circumcised to be physically part of Israel. So, they could continue in the Law. Jonah hated the Ninevites they were uncircumcised, they had no covenantal right to mercy. They were equal to rocks, and beasts of the field. Dogs, yapping at the heels of Israel. Jonah hated the Niveites because they weren't of Israel.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Sometimes you believe you know the story and then when you're reading it again, something new gets your attention.

"""The word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai saying, “Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and cry against it, for their wickedness has come up before Me.” But Jonah rose up to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD. So he went down to Joppa, found a ship which was going to Tarshish, paid the fare and went down into it to go with them to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD."""

I've always heard it preached that Ninevah was a wicked city and Jonah fled to Tarshish because he was afraid to go to Ninevah due to the cruelty and violence against the prophets.

Until I read today:

"""Then Jonah began to go through the city one day’s walk; and he cried out and said, “Yet forty days and Nineveh will be overthrown.”""

"""Then the people of Nineveh believed in God; and they called a fast and put on sackcloth from the greatest to the least of them"""

"""When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it."""

Jonah finally went to Ninevah and preached judgment. Incredibly the whole city turned to God! Awesome!

I've known this part. Jonah preached, Ninevah repented and turned to God and then Jonah got angry because God didn't destroy Ninevah anyway. Jonah must be the only prophet, minister, evangelist, pastor, etc who became angry over people getting saved, much less 120,000 people!

Here's what I've probably read a hundred times and just passed over without much thought until today:

"""He prayed to the LORD and said, “Please LORD, was not this what I said while I was still in my own country? Therefore in order to forestall this I fled to Tarshish, for I knew that You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, and one who relents concerning calamity."""

Jonah was a jerk! He didn't flee to Tarshish because he was afraid of how evil and cruel the Ninevites were. He fled because he knew God would forgive and have mercy on Ninevah and he wanted it destroyed!

Interesting. Never seen it like this.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Foreshadowing the Judeans dispising the Romans coming into the church. So much that they wanted them to be circumcised to be physically part of Israel. So, they could continue in the Law. Jonah hated the Ninevites they were uncircumcised, they had no covenantal right to mercy. They were equal to rocks, and beasts of the field. Dogs, yapping at the heels of Israel. Jonah hated the Niveites because they weren't of Israel.
Great comparison!

Old 08-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeley View Post

This will become preacher bashing thread in

3... 2...
I hope not. Certainly didn't think of that when I was typing the OP.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
I hope not. Certainly didn't think of that when I was typing the OP.
I’m bored.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Until I read today:

So Nineveh was in Assyria correct? If so, it's crazy that after this happened God called Jonah to prepare the people, that we're going to take Israel into captivity.

Jonah was a racist bigot.

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!

Last edited by 1ofthechosen; 08-06-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
So Nineveh was in Assyria correct? If so, it's crazy that after this happened God called Jonah to prepare the people, that we're going to take Israel into captivity.

Jonah was a racist bigot.
Jonah believed the Nenevites were not worthy of God’s mercy. I have studied this and I don’t have a source but, the way I understand it the Ninevites were incredibly mean, cruel people. The comparison would be similar to the Isis of today. Jonah did NOT want to be any part of their salvation. God scolded him for caring more for the gourd plant that had shaded him, when it withered and died than he did for the 120,000 people and the cattle.

Do we sometimes feel like some people are not worthy of salvation, while others are “too good to be lost “?

I used to have thoughts like this, but this story convicted me of believing this way.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Jonah believed the Nenevites were not worthy of God’s mercy. I have studied this and I don’t have a source but, the way I understand it the Ninevites were incredibly mean, cruel people. The comparison would be similar to the Isis of today. Jonah did NOT want to be any part of their salvation. God scolded him for caring more for the gourd plant that had shaded him, when it withered and died than he did for the 120,000 people and the cattle.

Do we sometimes feel like some people are not worthy of salvation, while others are “too good to be lost “?

I used to have thoughts like this, but this story convicted me of believing this way.
The Ninevites were funded by the CIA?