Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Re: Monopoly on Apostolic Identity is no more ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. LPW View Post
Truth matters greatly to me... as do things like motive.
Motive is certainly not hard to feel or read... that is for sure.. I feel that you are spot on here... Mrs. LPW
Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Matthew 7:6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
It was down to her mid-thighs and was just too long and too unmanageable. It was freakishly long and thick. It was getting caught in everything from hotel room doors, car doors, children’s toys, once she had it caught in the vacuum cleaner, and even set it on fire twice while lighting candles. After a while it just got to be ridiculous. She was fed up with it and I was tired of laying on it and it being in everything. I was also growing weary of how insecure she was about it. It was really affecting her self esteem. It added nearly 10 years to her appearance. I felt like it just seemed “extreme”. So I began studying the passage in greater depth (I Corinthians 11) and realized that the passage was never intended to teach what we think it teaches. Paul was addressing a specific issue regarding veils and comparing them to social norms among the Corinthians. We prayed about it and we felt the Lord release her to get her hair cut. She dedicated it to Locks of Love for cancer patients.
I dunno, bro...

But the wording of this might make one wonder if you decided to "begin studying the passage in greater depth" ... in order to find an interpretation that would be more convenient to you.

I don't know if that was the case or not...

But I do know people do that sometimes.

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Skirts and dresses aren’t always modest and pants aren’t always immodest. I’ve seen women’s pants that were more modest than some of the skirts and dresses I’ve seen worn by sisters in the Lord.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Personally, I think the distinction of dress scripture is targetting cross dressing. lol
I agree.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Tired of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
This is unbelievable, two short years ago, everyone praised the committee's efforts, Dora, the music, the changing with the times, now belittling the same. Amazing, absolutely Amazing
Revrandy it is the doctrine that will be next.
I pray that one day the slippery slope arguments will cease.... People have brains. They can use them to discern things on their own merit. If traditions can not be matched to scripture, there is no reason NOT to question them. Any "rule" that stands between newcomers and God that is not biblical is a hindrance. And if the only thing that separates us from the world is our dress, then we have bigger problems.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds... - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It was down to her mid-thighs and was just too long and too unmanageable. It was freakishly long and thick. It was getting caught in everything from hotel room doors, car doors, children’s toys, once she had it caught in the vacuum cleaner, and even set it on fire twice while lighting candles. After a while it just got to be ridiculous. She was fed up with it and I was tired of laying on it and it being in everything.
To be fair, not all women (or their husbands) feel this way about their long hair. I've NEVER resented my hair, I like it long, and wouldn't want it to be short, regardless of a conviction or lack thereof. My husband also loves my hair.

If he ever referred to it as "freakishly long and thick", I think it would really hurt my feelings.

I do understand that some women have a harder time with it than others. Some just don't have the patience for it, or even a knack for keeping it looking neat and attractive.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 02-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Alright, the hairstyles look like the 1890's and the clothing is an updated version of 1950 styles.

If pants are not modest on women, then they are not modest on men either.
sometimes they are not and I am just against that as any. The difference is that men's seams are a little lower and don't form to the body as much in general. Women's clothing not the case and they clearly form more which is not good considering the tendency of man. I am not against the "split" per se in the legs but the style of pants women wear which is like men and you can't tell the difference let alone the lust test. It's just not good. Women are held to a higher level in this. Consistently they are in a place of honor in which they bring glory to the head and not to bring attention or unwanted desire from other but of purity. This is consistently taught among the early church in much the case that women would not be a stumbling block to there fellow Christians do to beauty or whatever. This was the case with jewelry and many other things the early writers wrote against. The first call in many cases is do no harm because of love.

Today that is not what it's about even among some of the young ladies in the UPC. It''s all about selling a person's self and the means available to get there. We should be seeking to honor God in the greatest way by love and not blurring lines of distinction and headship. In this we honor God and give him glory to not grasp after the flesh or allow others flesh to profit off our alluring styles and provocative clothing. Let them see the heart of the Spirit and honor of who we are in the divine order of creation. Not blurring the lines which is not mature in Christ which is so easy today. I do not make it a heaven or hell issue but one showing a better and more honorable way. Love is what it is all about and the things I see most Christian women wearing....... sorry it's not honorable IMO in most cases!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Skirts and dresses aren’t always modest and pants aren’t always immodest. I’ve seen women’s pants that were more modest than some of the skirts and dresses I’ve seen worn by sisters in the Lord.
I agree but it does not argue against distinction and natural order. Also any style can be perverted.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It was down to her mid-thighs and was just too long and too unmanageable. It was freakishly long and thick. It was getting caught in everything from hotel room doors, car doors, children’s toys, once she had it caught in the vacuum cleaner, and even set it on fire twice while lighting candles. After a while it just got to be ridiculous. She was fed up with it and I was tired of laying on it and it being in everything. I was also growing weary of how insecure she was about it. It was really affecting her self esteem. It added nearly 10 years to her appearance. I felt like it just seemed “extreme”. So I began studying the passage in greater depth (I Corinthians 11) and realized that the passage was never intended to teach what we think it teaches. Paul was addressing a specific issue regarding veils and comparing them to social norms among the Corinthians. We prayed about it and we felt the Lord release her to get her hair cut. She dedicated it to Locks of Love for cancer patients.

Sadly, our church will most likely never see us as being “in good standing” because of this. But it was just too much. She was miserable with it and I love my wife too much to demand that she be miserable to honor a tradition based on a misguided interpretation of Scripture.
Wow, this is something that my wife and I went through as well. My wife didn't grow up Apostolic and only out of love for me and my concerns for other peoples thoughts did she stop cutting her hair. She didn't know anything about fixing her hair up like most UPC girls and she struggled trying to make it look good. She came to me many times and tried to convince me that she just wanted to trim her hair. I would always say no.

Finally, a few months after we left UPC she came to me and asked if she could cut her hair. She held out how much she wanted to cut and it was only one inch. I took the scissors and cut if off. I felt so guilty for putting that burden on her for those 10 years. Now she has her hair layered and it is nice and pretty and she feels great about herself. She started lifting weights and bought some new clothes and lost about ten pounds. For so long she had given up because what was the point of trying to look good if her hair didn't. That was her personal opinion of course. I always thought she looked hot!!

I was not man enough to stand up for what I thought was right and for ten years she didn't cut her hair. I cared more about my being on the platform than about her self esteem.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 PM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
Wow, this is something that my wife and I went through as well. My wife didn't grow up Apostolic and only out of love for me and my concerns for other peoples thoughts did she stop cutting her hair. She didn't know anything about fixing her hair up like most UPC girls and she struggled trying to make it look good. She came to me many times and tried to convince me that she just wanted to trim her hair. I would always say no.

Finally, a few months after we left UPC she came to me and asked if she could cut her hair. She held out how much she wanted to cut and it was only one inch. I took the scissors and cut if off. I felt so guilty for putting that burden on her for those 10 years. Now she has her hair layered and it is nice and pretty and she feels great about herself. She started lifting weights and bought some new clothes and lost about ten pounds. For so long she had given up because what was the point of trying to look good if her hair didn't. That was her personal opinion of course. I always thought she looked hot!!

I was not man enough to stand up for what I thought was right and for ten years she didn't cut her hair. I cared more about my being on the platform than about her self esteem.
So cutting hair builds self-esteem?