Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

Re: Romans 6 and 1 Peter 3 - DRY BAPTISM?

No matter what I still believe in water baptism by immersion in water.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Just a quick response to our mormon friend here. That scripture you are speaking of written in 1 Cor. 15:29, which reads, "Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?"

Paul is calling water baptism this, because it is at this baptism that the old man is crucified and buried in Christ Jesus. And that is also why it is referred to a baptism of death written in Rm. 6:7-8. Paul is not talking about someone standing in for people that have literally died at all.

Additionally, since this is when we also begin in Christ Jesus as well. That also could mean that it is at this baptism that we begin to be seated in those heavenly places in HIM as well, which Paul also writes about in Eph. 2:5-6 saying, "Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ (by grace are ye saved: And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.

Not physically of course, but spiritually, this baptism being when one does begin in Christ Jesus by faith. Because without faith taking place this does not happen. And that would be found by what James wrote about faith in James chapter 1.

Until you are baptized into Him, then you are not abiding in Him at all. Even if he has begun to abide in you, awaiting for you to begin in HIM finally.

Both required because of what it says in John chapter 15.

Meaning all three verses are speaking of water baptism, and what does occur there in some way or another. Meaning what is written in that verse the Mormons believe they are to literally baptize the dead is pretty much nonsense actually. Even you admitted that by what you did say about most being a lick and a promise type situation. Right? Definitely no faith in operation after we are literally dead and buried in that grave either is there, just as you also stated to. Well you didn't come out and say that of course. But if you look at what you did say, you could assume it to be what you did mean.

Anyway take another look at all of those scriptures, and consider what I am saying at least, and maybe praying for God to reveal this is indeed something that spiritually takes place within us then after all. Might even ask him what the old man that is crucified in Him consists of too. Am saying to seek the Lord friend, because of what it says about this spiritual issue, written in 1 Cor 2:14.

Sorry brother Blume for continuing to get off topic. I will be quiet now.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Registered Member

I make it easier for all to understand, just do what the apostles did and get baptised in Jesus Name.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

that might be ok. But without faith being involved by somebody asking for that one to be baptized into or in His name, nobody believing for the promises regarding this baptism to take place, then that one, as I understand it because of what it says in James chapter1 about faith, as well as what it says also in James 4:3, that one is simply only going to get wet on the outside, and not within, at all are they not? I know I only got wet when I was baptized the first time in water in the Assembly of God. Because of believing the lies they do teach about this issue at the time. And apparently nobody else was asking for God to do anything within my heart then either. Because once I did know the purpose for baptism, and the one doing the baptzing also did as well. We prayed before, asking God to do all that He had promised, and that time I did not just get wet on the outside only, but also on the inside too, as well, praise God. My life changing thereafter.

Meaning baptism is not for the purpose of our confessing outwardly at all, what He has done within us previously at all. That is ridiculous. The purpose for it Jesus explained when in Mt. 3;15, when He led the way for us to follow after Him totally. It is for us to begin walking in HIS righteousness from then on because of our now abiding in His house finally, and the crucifixian of the old man happening at that time, so that we can be set free from sin within the inward man entirely, in order that He can proceed to destroy the body of fleshly sins that do remain thereafter. that is what Jesus was talking about the Pharisees and scribes needed to do in order to have the cup and platter made clean within them, so that he could then begin to deal with the outside of them as well, written in Mt. 23:24-28, so that they are no longer whited sepulchres. Or as my husband explained to me what a whited sepulchre was, asking me if I had ever heard of white wash type paint. :-) Heck no, I had never heard of whitewash, until he told me what it was.

here is a good book I downloaded by Watchman Nee free called SPIRITUAL REALITY OR OBSESSION
http://www.teachtheword.com/watchman...0Obsession.pdf

Am pasting it on here because he talks about baptism in water in the beginning of this book. And how often people do not understand Gods purpose for doing this at all. When the truth is, God never told us to do anything, without having a very good reason for us doing it, to receive something spiritual from him in the first place. And baptism in water is not for an outward show of an inward confession we made at the time we repented at all. It is for the changing of our heart once the change has been made within our spirits promised as recorded by Ezekiel in EZ. 36:
25-27, so that we can begin to dwell with HIM finally. Which it clearly says this be true in Rm. 6:3. Many being confused as to what those scriptures are really saying I truly believe. Plus it clearly says it is speaking of a baptism also. A baptism that puts us in Christ, Christ emptying us out of this old man that brought forth sin within mankind to begin with so that the New Man, who is Christ Jesus could take over within our inner man totally from that day forth. Not just in part, behind the veil, but totally, the veil that hangs within all of us being removed or taken away when we do begin in Him, just as Paul describes in 2nd Corinthians chapter 3. Directly telling us when this happen in verse 14 of that chapter.

True this is an act that does definitely confound the wise of the world, that is true. As who would have ever thought God would do all of this in that worldly water???? Maybe He chose this way in order to confound all of us after all. Don't know? I just know now He did. And I also know one is not born again until all three of the foundational principles of Christ have been finished in our lives as well, so that as God permits, we can continue on into HIS righteousness from then on. Which is clearly revealed to us in what is written in Hebr. 6:1-3. You may think you have continued on, but no you have not continued on into what you think you have at all, until that foundation has been laid. Meaning my friends until this happens, you are sitting on the sand still, and not on the rock you might think you are on Mt. 7:24-27. My not saying this, but Jesus saying it clearly there, as well as leading the writer of Hebrews to point it out clearly there as well as within many other scriptures too. We do not go anywhere without HIM allowing it to happen. Meaning our righteousness remains even to this day as a filthy rag without HIM bringing HIS forth. And he does not do so until we have been made clean within first.

Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit saith the Lord.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 PM
On the road less traveled

I've never really heard of "dry baptism" before, but I have wondered about this scripture...

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Just wondering... what does this plural word "baptisms" mean? Could it be assumed to mean both spirit, and water baptisms?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Kbtw, I think baptisms may include water and spirit as well. There is also the baptism of suffering in actual death which Jesus referred John and James to.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Good words, Sandy!

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 01-06-2018, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

bump Good topic still.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Acts 2:38
Old 01-13-2018, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddaeus417 View Post
Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Amen.