Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-13-2017, 04:29 PM
I am half-sick of shadows

2 Thess 2

Would someone be kind enough to give an explanation of this passage of scripture, please.

2 Thessalonians
2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,
17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:23 PM
Happily "off the chain"

Re: 2 Thess 2

2 Thessalonians 2:1-17
(1) Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, In light of, as well as concerning, the coming of Christ and our gathering together unto Him. He has already come in power into the kingdom, and we are being gathered together unto Him by the preaching of the Gospel, but He will also come (return) and we shall be gathered together in the resurrection to Him. And in view of these things, and concerning these things, we beseech you as follows:
(2) That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. We beseech you not to be disturbed as though the coming of the Lord and our final gathering together with Him was imminent and upon us.
(3) Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Do not allow anyone to deceive you, because that day will not happen until certain things occur first, namely an apostasy and the revealing of the man of sin who follows the example of Judas the son of perdition.
(4) Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. This man of sin is opposed to God, exalts himself above everything called God or that men worship, establishing himself as if he were God, and he sits in the temple (church) of God, making himself out to be as if he were God, usurping the divine prerogatives of the Spirit.
(5) Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? These things have already been taught to you, so do not forget what you were taught, and hold fast to the doctrine you originally received.
(6) And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. You already know what prevents the rise and revealing of this man of sin.
(7) For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. The hidden secret of lawlessness (rebellion against God's divine laws) is already working, but there is something preventing this mystery of lawlessness from coming into full fruition. But until that preventive force is removed, the secret plot of lawlessness and rebellion will continue working behind the scenes.
(8) And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Once the preventive force is removed, the Lawless will be revealed. This Lawless force will be eventually destroyed by the spirit or breath of the Lord's mouth and the brightness of His coming.
(9) Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, The Lawless will come on the scene and succeed to power through lying signs and wonders according to the working of the adversary.
(10) And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. The ones who fall away after the man of sin, the Lawless One, will be deceived. And they are easily deceived because they practice and prefer unrighteousness and lawlessness rather than obedience to the laws of God. They do not receive a love of the truth which would enable them to be saved.
(11) And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: Because they have no love for the truth, but prefer lies and lawlessness instead, God Himself will give them a powerful, deceiving influence, to cause them to believe a lie. God will confirm them in their apostasy.
(12) That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. God will do this in order to secure their damnation, because they do not believe the truth (the word of God) but instead prefer unrighteousness.
(13) But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: You, however, have been chosen to be saved. This salvation comes through your being set apart to God by the work of the Spirit in you causing you to believe the truth.
(14) Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. He called you to salvation and being set apart to God by the apostles gospel message, so that you could obtain and share in the resurrection glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(15) Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. Because of this fact that God has chosen you to be saved and to obtain the glory of Christ through being set apart by the Spirit through believing the apostolic gospel, Do not be moved away from the original apostolic faith and practice which you have received from the apostles, whether by letter or by personal instruction.
(16) Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,
(17) Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.
Jesus Himself, and God our Father, loved us, and given us eternal comfort and hope through His mercy and blessings, and we pray that He would comfort your heart and establish you in perfect obedience to the gospel, preventing your being moved away from the truth or being disturbed by false doctrines.

A few remarks:

1. The man of sin is identified with Judas "the son of perdition". This indicates the man of sin would be apostolic in origin, as Judas was an apostle, and that the man of sin would betray Christ. Paul's words in 1 Corinthians ch 11 concerning the Lord's Supper show that one who betrays and abuses the saints betrays and abuses the body of Christ, and is guilty as Judas was of betraying the Lord's physical body. Thus, we see that the man of sin is to found among those in apostolic succession (ie, eldership, having the oversight of the church) but who would betray Christ by abusing the saints. So the man of sin would be characterised by wayward and apostate church leadership.

2. The man of sin is said to sit in the temple ('naos') of God. This is a phrase used by Paul exclusively for the church. The man of sin enthrones himself in the church of God.

3. The man of sin would be on display as soon as a restraining force would be taken out of the way, and would continue his career until he was destroyed by the return of Jesus Christ at which time the resurrection of the saints would occur. There was some kind of restraining power that prevented the hidden working of lawlessness from coming to full fruition in the church which would reveal the man of sin. Many things have been proposed as to the identity of this restraining influence, but I am currently of the opinion that it is the secular Roman power. As long as the secular Roman power held sway, the man of sin could not be fully revealed in all his ugliness and naked, raw grasping for power. Once the secular Roman power fell, it was supplanted by the clerical power of the bishop of Rome, which established itself as "God on the earth". This was not the arrival of the man of sin, but merely the revealing of the man of sin as to his true character and identity. The man of sin had already been in the church of God, usurping the role of Christ as Head of the church. Once secular Roman government fell to apostate ecclesiastical influences, the man of sin could be revealed as to his true character.

4. The man of sin arose within the church along with a rising tide of apostasy. There was to be a post-apostolic falling away from the original apostolic faith and practice. We have seen this clearly in the historical record - not long after the death of the apostles the church was inundated with false doctrines and non-apostolic practices, such as trinitarianism, sprinkling and pouring instead of immersion, relics, prayer to dead saints, prayer and practical worshipping of angels, the introduction of the rites and customs of Mithra/Baal/Sol Invictus, abandonment of Sabbath and the correct time of Passover in favour of Sunday and Easter, the priesthood/clericalism, sacramentalism, purgatory, absolution, transubstantiation, burning incense, immortal soulism, the construction of physical temples and physical altars, the ravenous accumulation of wealth, the spread of perversions among the clerics, monasticism, and a whole host of additional departures from the original apostolic faith. It is out of this milieu of apostasy that the man of sin would be revealed - the man of sin was already a part of this apostasy, but once secular Roman power was given over to the control of the apostasy, the man of sin could finally be on full display.

5. Since the apostasy developed over several centuries, and has continued even today, and since the man of sin arose within that apostasy, the man of sin continues even today, and will continue until the return of the Lord. This proves the man of sin is not a single, personal, individual, but rather a continuous succession of apostate eldership. It should also be noted that the man of sin is not limited to the chief bishop of the apostate Roman religious institution, for they have long since been removed as a church (see Revelation 2:5, and Revelation 3:16). Wherever men are set up in the church of God in place of the Holy Spirit, where THEY dictate what happens and what doctrines are to be believed rather than Christ through His Spirit and His Word, there you have the man of sin. The man of sin is not a single personal individual, but like the phrase "man of God" refers to a TYPE of person.

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

The man of sin is an actual man.

This is his demise....

19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

A "system" was not cast into the lake, alive.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:05 PM

Thank you Esaias, awesome teaching.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
The man of sin is an actual man.

This is his demise....

19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

A "system" was not cast into the lake, alive.
I think this means that Imperial systems/kingdoms, and false religious systems that oppose Jesus and the Word of Jesus, along with those who follow/worship those false systems will be destroyed.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Happily "off the chain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
3. ... The man of sin had already been in the church of God, usurping the role of Christ as Head of the church. Once secular Roman government fell to apostate ecclesiastical influences, the man of sin could be revealed as to his true character.

4. The man of sin arose within the church along with a rising tide of apostasy. There was to be a post-apostolic falling away from the original apostolic faith and practice. We have seen this clearly in the historical record - not long after the death of the apostles the church was inundated with false doctrines and non-apostolic practices, such as trinitarianism, sprinkling and pouring instead of immersion, relics, prayer to dead saints, prayer and practical worshipping of angels, the introduction of the rites and customs of Mithra/Baal/Sol Invictus, abandonment of Sabbath and the correct time of Passover in favour of Sunday and Easter, the priesthood/clericalism, sacramentalism, purgatory, absolution, transubstantiation, burning incense, immortal soulism, the construction of physical temples and physical altars, the ravenous accumulation of wealth, the spread of perversions among the clerics, monasticism, and a whole host of additional departures from the original apostolic faith. It is out of this milieu of apostasy that the man of sin would be revealed - the man of sin was already a part of this apostasy, but once secular Roman power was given over to the control of the apostasy, the man of sin could finally be on full display.

5. Since the apostasy developed over several centuries, and has continued even today, and since the man of sin arose within that apostasy, the man of sin continues even today, and will continue until the return of the Lord. This proves the man of sin is not a single, personal, individual, but rather a continuous succession of apostate eldership. It should also be noted that the man of sin is not limited to the chief bishop of the apostate Roman religious institution, for they have long since been removed as a church (see Revelation 2:5, and Revelation 3:16). Wherever men are set up in the church of God in place of the Holy Spirit, where THEY dictate what happens and what doctrines are to be believed rather than Christ through His Spirit and His Word, there you have the man of sin. The man of sin is not a single personal individual, but like the phrase "man of God" refers to a TYPE of person.
I wanted to comment some more about this particular aspect of the subject, namely, the man of sin arising within the church.

This is what Paul warned about:

For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost. And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church. And when they were come to him, he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons, Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews: And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there: Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God. And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more. Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God. Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears. And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. And when he had thus spoken, he kneeled down, and prayed with them all. And they all wept sore, and fell on Paul's neck, and kissed him, Sorrowing most of all for the words which he spake, that they should see his face no more. And they accompanied him unto the ship.
(Acts 20:16-38)
Paul called for the elders of the church, and reminded them of his behaviour, character, and ministry. He tells them he has demonstrated for them the template for a genuine, godly elder, and admonishes them to follow that pattern. That template is one where an elder teaches all the whole counsel of God, does not hold anything back from the assembly, does not covet anyone's material possessions, prefers to give than to receive, is directly involved in personally working and contributing to the relief of the poor members of the assembly (whether materially or spiritually "weak"), etc. He also warns them by prophecy that there shall arise "grievous wolves, not sparing the sheep" who would creep into the church. Also, that from among their own number, that is, from within the eldership of the church, false teachers and antichristian leaders would arise who would draw people away after themselves. This is clearly a prophecy of apostasy, spearheaded by an apostate eldership itself. Not that all future elders would be corrupted, but that there would arise a cadre of corrupt leadership that would draw many away from the truth. It is obviously his reminders to them of his own behaviour as an example they should follow stands in contrast to the type of corrupt leadership that would soon arise - unlike him, they would be greedy for gain, coveting people's goods and money, not concerned with strengthening the weak or supporting the poor (at least not out of their own labours), they would hide the counsel of God from the people, etc.

He also reminds them that he warned of these things for three years, day and night. It is safe to assume that this outlook on the future of the church was part and parcel of his apostolic preaching everywhere, which would explain why he tells the Thessalonians that they already knew these things because he had already told them.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Old 12-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Happily "off the chain"

The apostle Peter likewise foretold of the apostasy:
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
(2 Peter 2:1-3)
John also spoke of these things:

Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
(1 John 2:18-20)
John, whose writings are among the latest of the New Testament, speaks of the apostasy as having already begun. He speaks of it as "antichrist", which is a Greek term that means both "opposer of Christ" as well as "replacement of Christ". The antichrist spirit is the spirit that seeks to replace Christ and His spirit in the church - the very thing Paul spoke of in his second epistle to the Thessalonians.
I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church. Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.
(3 John 1:9-11)
Here, John describes a corrupted apostate elder in a local church, as one who "loves to have the pre-eminence". This is John's way of describing the man of sin who enthrones himself in the church in the place of God. Diotrephes is an example of the early burgeoning of the mystery of iniquity and the rise of the man of sin.
Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
(Jude 1:3-4)
Jude likewise warned about the growing apostasy, and said it was necessary for him to remind the readers to earnestly contend for the original apostolic faith. Why? Because people had crept in (just like Paul warned would happen) and were perverting the true faith. The fact they were perverting the faith implies they were in a teaching position or some kind of leadership position in the church, again, just like Paul and Peter and John warned about.

And of course, we must ask where did the apostles get this idea from? where did they get this rather foreboding view of the future of the church, that it would include apostasy which would continue until the end? Well, it looks like they got it straight from Jesus Himself:
Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
(Matthew 13:24-30)

Old 12-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Happily "off the chain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
I think this means that Imperial systems/kingdoms, and false religious systems that oppose Jesus and the Word of Jesus, along with those who follow/worship those false systems will be destroyed.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
2 Thess 2:2-3

Paul calls their attention to the day of Christ. What is the day of Christ? He had just showed them a few verses before this in chapter 1.

2 Thess 1:7-10

7And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, 8In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 9Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; 10When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

So the day of Christ is when he comes to gather the Church and wreck judgment on the wicked.

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Deceivers were teaching the day of Christ was at hand. In other words it was imminent. Paul describes several things that must happen before the day of Christ. First a falling away must occur. This will be more than just the normal backslidings of Churches. There will be a massive falling away among believers. Then the man of sin will be revealed.

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Paul is obviously getting his teaching from Jesus. In the gospel of Mark Jesus is saying these same things and points us where to find who the man of sin is.

Mark 13:14

14But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

So we will find the man of sin in the prophet Daniel. But where? And dont forget the phrase by Jesus "standing where it ought not".

Paul said he will exalt HIMSELF ABOVE EVERY GOD and all that is worshipped.

Daniel 11:36-37

36And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done. 37Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.

So in Daniels writings we find such a man. A warrior king who lives at the same time as the great tribulation and the resurrection of the dead. He will do exactly what Paul says the man of sin will do.

In the same context I think we can find the temple of God Paul and Jesus and Daniel refer to.

Jesus said the abomination of desolation will be "standing where it ought not". Again in Daniel we find such a thing in the same context of the man of sin who exalts himself above every god.

Dan 11:41-45

41He shall enter also into the glorious land, and many countries shall be overthrown: but these shall escape out of his hand, even Edom, and Moab, and the chief of the children of Ammon. 42He shall stretch forth his hand also upon the countries: and the land of Egypt shall not escape. 43But he shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver, and over all the precious things of Egypt: and the Libyans and the Ethiopians shall be at his steps. 44But tidings out of the east and out of the north shall trouble him: therefore he shall go forth with great fury to destroy, and utterly to make away many. 45And he shall plant the tabernacles of his palace between the seas in the glorious holy mountain; yet he shall come to his end, and none shall help him.

Note verse 45. This blaspheming king sets up his palace/temple in the glorious holy mountain. This speaks of Jerusalem.

Daniel 9:16

O Lord, according to all thy righteousness, I beseech thee, let thine anger and thy fury be turned away from thy city Jerusalem, thy holy mountain:

He will set up an abominable temple for HIMSELF. In doing this he is showing that HE.......IS GOD! The temple of God Paul refers to IS THIS PALACE in Jerusalem he builds for himself showing himself he is God.

Jesus said in Mark the abomination of desolation will be STANDING WHERE IT OUGHT NOT.

In Jerusalem. Part 1
Old 12-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Happily "off the chain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
(6) And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. You already know what prevents the rise and revealing of this man of sin.
(7) For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. The hidden secret of lawlessness (rebellion against God's divine laws) is already working, but there is something preventing this mystery of lawlessness from coming into full fruition. But until that preventive force is removed, the secret plot of lawlessness and rebellion will continue working behind the scenes.
I now want to address the issue of the restrainer a bit. A lot of theories have been put forward by various persons as to who or what this is. One of the more recently popular views is that the restrainer is the either church, or the Holy Spirit. I say "more recently popular views" because this view is wholly a product of dispensational ratpurism which did not exist prior to the 1830s.

That the restrainer is the Holy Spirit is easily debunked by simply thinking about it: How can the Holy Spirit be "taken out of the way"? He can't. You can't take God out of the way.

That the restrainer is the church, "taken out of the way" via a supposed rapture, is also easily debunked by the very teaching of Paul here in this chapter.

First of all, Paul stated the coming of the Lord, and our gathering together unto Him, occurs AFTER the man of sin is revealed. If the church is the restrainer that is taken out of the way by rapture, then there is a palpable and obvious contradiction. The man of sin is revealed AFTER the rapture and the church is removed, according to dispensationalism, but according to Paul the church is resurrected and gathered to Jesus ("raptured") AFTER the man of sin is revealed and during his destruction! So obviously dispensational rapturism fails, and fails hard.

Secondly, the man of sin sits in the naos of God, a term Paul only uses for the church. If the church was removed or taken out of the way, then the man of sin could not sit in the naos of God, for it would be gone! Again, dispensationalis rapturism fails, and fails hard.