Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:15 PM
I do what's right in...

Re: Frugal Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamor View Post
LOL! That sounds like me. After I was divorced, when I made certain things that I "wasn't allowed" to while married, I felt like a little kid getting by with something -ha! After 19 years of marriage, it took awhile to figure out what I really liked and wanted vs. what I only did because he wanted it. It was very liberating!!
My biggest pet peeve was that everytime I cooked he would say "This is good...but it would be much better if you......" Or my personal favorite "This is ok...but when my Mom makes it she always....."

I think it was made worse by the fact that I was never taught how to cook, I basically taught myself through financial necessity. I think I am fairly good at it now, but I tend to be somewhat sensitive about it. (Ironically my Ex MIL wasn't even a particularly good cook).

I like to experiment though, and will often make stuff up because I need to use certain things in my fridge. A few weeks back I made a homemade cake, as in not from a mix. That was a first for me, and it turned out fairly well.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Own Eyes View Post
My biggest pet peeve was that everytime I cooked he would say "This is good...but it would be much better if you......" Or my personal favorite "This is ok...but when my Mom makes it she always....."

I think it was made worse by the fact that I was never taught how to cook, I basically taught myself through financial necessity. I think I am fairly good at it now, but I tend to be somewhat sensitive about it. (Ironically my Ex MIL wasn't even a particularly good cook).

I like to experiment though, and will often make stuff up because I need to use certain things in my fridge. A few weeks back I made a homemade cake, as in not from a mix. That was a first for me, and it turned out fairly well.
We live in a VERY small town and my ex MIL was well known for her cooking. So my thing was, "Why try?" Nothing is ever going to measure up.

As it is now, my FIL was a nutritionist in the navy, and does all the cooking at their house. My hubby cooks much better than I do, just knowing cooking temperatures, seasonings, etc. -- but he will eat anything I cook for him. If he doesn't like something, he might ask me to not fix it again, but he eats it and is very gracious about it and tells me thank you for cooking for him. That in itself took time to adjust to because I definitely wasn't used to being thanked for cooking!

I have come a long way in the kitchen in the last few years (Sherri can vouch for that!), but I'll never be a Paula Dean or Rachel Ray- and I have no desire to!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:30 PM
I do what's right in...

Quote:
We live in a VERY small town and my ex MIL was well known for her cooking. So my thing was, "Why try?" Nothing is ever going to measure up.

As it is now, my FIL was a nutritionist in the navy, and does all the cooking at their house. My hubby cooks much better than I do, just knowing cooking temperatures, seasonings, etc. -- but he will eat anything I cook for him. If he doesn't like something, he might ask me to not fix it again, but he eats it and is very gracious about it and tells me thank you for cooking for him. That in itself took time to adjust to because I definitely wasn't used to being thanked for cooking!

I have come a long way in the kitchen in the last few years (Sherri can vouch for that!), but I'll never be a Paula Dean or Rachel Ray- and I have no desire to!
I remember the first year that I cooked a Thanksgiving Dinner. It was just my ex, me and my little brother. Of course, because it was just us, and causual, and no pressure, everything turned out divinely. I don't think everything has been that perfect since then.

I will be cooking a big dinner again this year, though it will only be my Mom and I. So everyone, please post lots of leftover turkey recipes....I will have lots and lots!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Formerly known as CareyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
I'm not sure how frugal this is, but it's good!

If anyone is having ham with the bone in for Thanksgiving - take that bone with the ham that you just can't get off of it and cook with dried beans.

My family loves the 10 bean soup - - the ham bone gives it excellent flavor and the pieces of ham will cook off too. It's also good with just white or navy beans!

Make a big ole iron skillet of cornbread and it's a meal that keeps on giving - - lol!
I love it...we do this often times after Christmas.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Formerly known as CareyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Own Eyes View Post
LOL, then someone in my family has the spirit of prophecy, because this recipe preceeded precluded our involvement in the UPC (or any church for that matter) by about 10 years....

But I don't doubt it being somewhat popular as it is simple, cheap and makes a lot. My ex hated it, so It was a rare treat for me these past 11 years...but I think I've made it twice since the divorce
Oh well...I was sure it was a UPC thing! Hehehehe
Old 11-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Turkey/sausage Gumbo is the best for left over turkey.
Leftover Turkey and Sausage Gumbo
1 leftover turkey or other large bird 1 tablespoon salt
2-3 celery ribs, chopped 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
2 large yellow onions, chopped 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 medium bell peppers, chopped 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
2-3 cups medium roux 2 cups chopped green onions
1 cup chopped parsley 2 lbs smoked pork sausage sliced˝ inch thick

Pull as much meat off the turkey as you can. Place the carcass in a large stockpot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, and let simmer 1-1˝ hours. Remove the carcass and discard. Add the celery, onions, and bell peppers and gradually stir in enough roux to make a medium-heavy gumbo (it should drip from a spoon without clinging). Stir in the salt, peppers, and sausage and let simmer for another hour. Add the turkey meat and let cook 15-20 minutes more. Remove from the heat, stir in the green onions and parsley, and serve in large bowls over rice.

Serves 6-8.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:

Oh wow, that statement made me LOL!!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
I'm not sure how frugal this is, but it's good!

If anyone is having ham with the bone in for Thanksgiving - take that bone with the ham that you just can't get off of it and cook with dried beans.

My family loves the 10 bean soup - - the ham bone gives it excellent flavor and the pieces of ham will cook off too. It's also good with just white or navy beans!

Make a big ole iron skillet of cornbread and it's a meal that keeps on giving - - lol!
That is VERY frugal!!!

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
That is VERY frugal!!!
And aromatic! LOL!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post